suggest st.wagon/small suv for Mom-In-Law, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tush wrote:
quote:

And nobody recommended an Audi wagon either. Nor VW (except you).

How could I forget? The MIL probably may want to look into a Jetta wagon. The TDI Wagon with the 4-banger turbo-diesel and 5-speed automatic is very economical. Starts at about 20k and comes with a 4-yrs, 50,000 mi total car, 5 yrs, 60,000 mi powertrain warranty.
wink.gif

What about recent VW's being plagued with electrical bugs more than any other make, and having poor repliablity, according to a lot of posts here, and on the web?
are those just rumors? I don't know.
That is the thing that scared me away from the VW Jetta wagons.
But if those stories are bs, I have nothing against VW wagons...they look very suitable for MIL in many ways.
I really want to know if the (-) comments about the electrical/other mishaps are everywhere for a reason...

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

And nobody recommended an Audi wagon either. Nor VW (except you).

Tosh, if you cannot find the self-control to stop this blabber, maybe the moderators can do it for you.
thumbsdown.gif

What specifically seems to be so personally offensive today, AJ?

quote:

I really want to know if the (-) comments about the electrical/other mishaps are everywhere for a reason...

Neither of my two VWs ('81 Scirocco MK I and '89 MK II) had any electric problems. My Audi's ECU died (still normally driveable), but I don't know the cause. Other than that I've only had the occasional burned-out bulbs, including those pesky dash bulbs in the '96 Audi.

I just got my Vibe GT totaled and bought a Mazda 6 wagon. Really like them both. Price and space efficeincy just can't be beat on the Vibe but the base model is an economy car in terms of noise and speed. It handles better than any SUV but it's still tall and a bit slow in responce.( I worked the suspension on mine and the GT motor is a blast). The new Mazda is just a nice all around vehicle that handles well, isn't harsh and is pretty quite at speed (6cyl only with a good automatic in 05 and later). I stayed away from the Passat due to the electrical system. My partner at work has had a few qwerks but nothing serious. It's just their total system integration that won't even allow a radio change in the curcuit that put me off. I've driven a Vue and it has zero steering feel and wallows even in gentile turns. It may be fine for some but not for me. I would recommend the Vibe/Matrix, Mazda 6 or 3 wagon and the Passat unless an SUV is more appropriate. Then I'd get a Honda or Ford/Mazda. The Honda CRV will end up being cheaper unless you plan to keep it until it's dead. Resale value will more than make up the purchase price difference over others and especially a Hundai come trade in time. Hundais are pretty good now but their resale value is abysmal. Trust me I know. I almost forgot, there's a new Mazda 5 that may just be the thing for her.

[ August 28, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: goodvibes ]

quote:

Chevy Cobalt is based on the Opel Vectra.

I thought It was based on the SAAB 9-3.

anyways.. to answer the question.. i saw rebuild the K-car. if all else fails.. the Santa Fe 2.7l would be nice. or if you want cheaper... Tucson 2.7 litre. or the Kia Sportage which is identical to the Tucson. but i heard somewhere that the Kia Sportage was better in performance and interior design??

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
I almost forgot, there's a new Mazda 5 that may just be the thing for her.

That's just what I was going to suggest. I really like Mazda products right now. They're entertaining to drive and the ones I've been in over the past year or two seem well screwed together. Also, unlike SOO many things these days, they're actually attractive rather than hideous.

If the 3 isn't quite big enough, look at the 5.

offtopic.gif
...but the record should be set straight.

quote:

I don't see a single black dot for any VW products. So Willy, you should pick up a copy of CR for yourself and ...well, you know what to do with it.

AJ,

You are mistaken.

The Vue is what does not have ANY black dots.

Page 221 & 222 from the 2005 CR buyers guide shows that VW has numerous black dots for brakes, engine, electrical, etc...from 1998 to 2003. Audi is the same way...many balck dots.

Sorry to break the truth to you.

I lived 10 yrs in Germany (1992-2001), and knew a lot of people who owned German cars.
They were very weary about buying VW and Audi cars. All of them (mostly students) were trying very hard to save a bit of money to buy a used BMW or a Mercedez from the 80's, rather than buying a VW, although inituially a lot cheaper. Their main complains were about the unreliable electrical systems, and the bad quality of manual transmissions in VW/Audi cars...

Wrong. Try again. Look under "predicted reliability" in the NEW car section, that's what we're talking about...I dunno about you. Ignition problems on the 2002 Audi and Passat 1.8t? Welcome to 2003, buddy.

T-Bird, where did you live in Germany? I'd imagine there WERE a lot of people who owned German cars...in Germany. Did you see many American-made cars there? afaik, Audi/VW sales there outstripped BMW and MB long ago.

BTW- the same companies, ZF Industries and BOSCH make the trannies and electrical systems for ALL German cars. Nice story though.
wink.gif

quote:

T-Bird, where did you live in Germany? I'd imagine there WERE a lot of people who owned German cars...in Germany. Did you see many American-made cars there? afaik, Audi/VW sales there outstripped BMW and MB long ago.

BTW- the same companies, ZF Industries and BOSCH make the trannies and electrical systems for ALL German cars. Nice story though.
wink.gif

I don't belive they made the 02J 5spd in my 00 GTI VR6.It ain't the best stick box i've ever driven by far.It's okay.The reliability is reportedly so-so but keep in mind many people abuse these poor boxes.

205k on my Coupe GT...original clutch. BTW- there are some Japanese gearboxes in the newer VWs. As far as prefering older '80s cars, I understand that sentiment. Repairs are fewer and easier, without a skill-set for late-model cars, I'd make the same choice...warranty coverage is much less outside the USA. No surprise that young people are comfortable with cars they grew up in, but to hear 3rd-hand stories critical of cars that the persons did not even choose to own....allow me a degree of skepticisim.

I have seen a few Chevy HHRs around. Those look neat and are on a fairly good/proven chassis. Both, the 2.2 and 2.4 Ecotech are plenty powerfull, but the power comes at the price of fuel economy. GM is really getting their ducks in a row, regarding quality, warranty, and products.

called MIL, her a/c on the Aries went out...
leaning towards Focus ZXW wagon right now.

she wants something small, economical...looks like the Focus ZXW Wagon is her best choice right now. It has more stuff standard than I thought...and mpg is great, too.

At one point, the Focus was the best-selling car in Germany. (German-made) CR has it as their 2nd best small car. Too small and too ***** for me, but ok for Sr citizen. As I originally said, the Matrix/Vibe or a Civic would me my 1st choice. Prices are pretty **** good on the new Hondas. I would definately take a look at the Vibe verses the Focus. If the price were equal, Vibe all the way...more of a car. As for the above posts about living in Germany, etc, in 1/2 page you seem to have went from no info to having the definitve scoupe on VWs. Hard to believe in 10 years, nobody had anything good to say about VW/Audis. My best buddy owns a BOSCH Service Center, works on all Euros and his brother does Asian cars...he far prefers Audis and races (full competition) VW and Porsche.
VWs are priced at or lower than World competition, and have strong points and weak ones. Myself, I can deal with a $20 coilpack if the rest of the car is solid, safe and great performance. The part was made by Bremi and affected BMW too. Someone who needs reliability and low levels of service and is willing to trade away other aspects, look around. I would never buy a used VW, except Passat. My mom's 1996 has been perfect except the digi odo...maybe that's an electrical bug, but the dealer had an exchange programme for $150. Some problems are blown way out of proportion. imo the Jetta value package is a killer car for $199/mo.

Audi Junkie,

First of all, I don't have anything against you OR Audi cars, personally, so no need for sarcasm etc.

I lived in Bonn (former capital), near Cologne. I myself didn't drive or have a car, so I must admit I didn't have any real interest in the car scene in Germany at the time. I just repeated what I remember some of the people I knew closely were saying about VWs. Some of them knew about cars pretty well, but not all, so I don't know how right they were..However, thinking about it and reading about a lot of VW electrical bugs made me weary about them. I won't disregard VW just because of that though...I would do in-depth research before that, also for MIL, if she wanted one. And I do admit, Audi's are the only 4-door cars which I like from a cosmetic stand point...they do look great! especially the pre-2005 models. Why in the world they don't make a 2-door A6 I don't know. (However, I don't like the grill going thru the bumper in the newer Audis, gives it a truck-look)

I didn't see a lot of American cars there; Fords, but German/British Ford models (Granada/Capri/Fiesta etc). Some Cadillacs, but rarely, probably those were DPL or cars from people in the US base in Bonn, at that time. The foreign makes I saw most were probably Peugeot and Fiat..a lot of Citroens, too.

I really don't think one has to really own a car to know a certain make has bugs. Depends on how much/where you research. Long before I owned a T-bird, i knew all the documented trouble spots of T-bird though forums, and other web sites.

I'd welcome reverting back to my Mom-in-Laws interests again
smile.gif

at the moment she must be reading all the brochures I ordered for her online..
smile.gif

Audi Junkie,

First of all, I don't have anything against you OR Audi cars, personally, so no need for sarcasm etc.

I lived in Bonn (former capital), near Cologne. I myself didn't drive or have a car, so I must admit I didn't have any real interest in the car scene in Germany at the time. I just repeated what I remember some of the people I knew closely were saying about VWs. Some of them knew about cars pretty well, but not all, so I don't know how right they were..I never prtended I had the "definitive scoop" on VW, and I didn't know the whole German population, so I don't know why you say "in 10 yrs nobody said anything good on VW..." if I knew different people, they might have had different opinions. Just because you own a certain car, you can't expect everyone saying 100% good things about it. EVERY car make has negative feedback, incl. my car.
As I'm definitely NOT considering a VW for MIL, I'm not going to respond to this off-topic theme, it can be started in another thread if you want to, but I just made a response to a post. That's it. I have no further interest in it.

Thanks.

I'll bet she would be happy with a Focus wagon. I think the wagon looks better than the coupe, 5 door and sedan...and the wagon has gobbs of room and is fairly fuel efficient...now that gas is $3.50/gal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back