Suggest cheap but powerfull router/access point

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far are you from your router to your player for the Amazon prime?

If too far like mine, switch to powerline ethernet adapters, get the MIMO version (AV2 1200 or AV2 2000), instead of relying on line of sight wireless.

I've done the switch and it is amazing. My AV2 1200 TP link got me real world 500mbps instead, but has been super stable after I sprinkle every corner of my house with a powerline adapter and a router.

Just to provide closure to this topic, I reconfigured both AP's management interfaces, selected to have same SSID throughtout and moved one to the most central point in the house by running long ethernet cable from the main router. I had almost a week of blissful WiFi experience before the converted AP stopped talking to main router. Going through the storage boxes left behind by my son, I found a Netgear WiFi router. Armed with the previous experience of converting a router in to AP, I swapped the Netgear in place of the Edimax. For a week, I am having no issues. I am actually pretty impressed how seamlessly my iPhone roams. I wish there were better apps on iPhone to show that but never the less, by looking at the BSSID of the associated AP, I can see where my WiFi is coming from.

I still would like to know if the long ethernet cable is truly running at 100Mb but since my service is configured at 50/50 I really do not care if the cable is not giving me 100. I have done some adhoc testing to show myself that the ethernet cable is not the bottleneck but to gett the exact hardware bandwidth would need pretty expensive Fluke tool or setting up perfest tools to measure the software bandwidth. May be there is easier way?

Originally Posted by Vikas
I still would like to know if the long ethernet cable is truly running at 100Mb but since my service is configured at 50/50 I really do not care if the cable is not giving me 100.
Unless your cable is longer than 100 meters, it's unlikely to be a bottleneck. What is more likely to be a bottleneck is cheap network device/adapter unable to generate packets fast enough to saturate the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back