Suggest an oil for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Ford Fusion V6. use it for 30%city/70% highway miles. Ive been using Motorcraft Syn Blend/TropArtic syn blend 5 w 20. Thinking about upgrading to Full Synthetic. Usually change out twice a year at around 6,000 miles. I plan to use the Motorcraft fl820S Filter. Temperatures are below freezing to over 100. What extra benefits will I see if I upgrade other than I lighter wallet. I see Platinum/Ultra/Ultimate Durability/Mobile EP as readily available.

Are you under warranty still?

I would find one with a high viscosity index. Highest possible -- M1 AFE 0w20 is 173. Pennzoil Plat 0w20 is 175. Your engine will appreciate that in the cold weather and the hot summers.

Still under warranty for another 8,000 miles or about 8 months. I wonder what a safe time/mileage would be with the Motorcraft Oil/ suggested oil

Quakerstate Ultimate durability with a Motorcraft filter.

Or, Mobil 1 with a mobil filter if you can get a deal for it (sometimes pepboys has that combo for 30 bucks)

I think you answered your own question. Only benefit will be more spring in your step due to lighter wallet.
I know there are members that believe syn is the only way to go, but I buy new cars and keep them until they die, and have never worn out an engine before the body has disintegrated.
I think your current regimen is just fine, but use what makes you happy.

Also if it is the Duratec 3.0 V6, it will run on 5W20 just fine, and i do beleive prior to 2002 it was used with 5W30 just like the 3.0 Vulcan (taurus engine) it is the same V6 used in the contour and FWD cougar (2.5L in them)

Now yours may have variable valve timing, i am not sure when ford put it in there, but if it does have that, just stick with 5W20, and use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle if you want a conventional, as it will keep that stuff clean and will not lighten your wallet.

If you are okay with lightening your wallet, shop around for sales on synthetic, For the money quaker state ultimate durability is awesome, it will serve this engine well as they are almost as durable as the vulcan V6 i have.

Motorcraft 5W20 is a rather good oil, if you feel confident in it, keep using it.

I have used mostly Motorcraft Oil in the past. I found the Trop Artic at Sams in the 5W20 Weight came out to about 2.29X/Quart. Now I don't see Sams carry it anymore in that weight. Meanwhile, The Motorcraft Jugs have gone up to just over $18/5 quarts. The Ford oil is still cheap, but is getting pretty close to QSUD Territory and not too far from Platinum pricing. I haven't had any issues with the Ford Oil, but wondered if there was a benefit with going a bit longer on a more expensive oil to justify costs.

Yes it does have VVT

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I have used mostly Motorcraft Oil in the past. I found the Trop Artic at Sams in the 5W20 Weight came out to about 2.29X/Quart. Now I don't see Sams carry it anymore in that weight. Meanwhile, The Motorcraft Jugs have gone up to just over $18/5 quarts. The Ford oil is still cheap, but is getting pretty close to QSUD Territory and not too far from Platinum pricing. I haven't had any issues with the Ford Oil, but wondered if there was a benefit with going a bit longer on a more expensive oil to justify costs.

Yes it does have VVT

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle then, it will help keep them clean and the price is decent.

I used to use mobil super 5000 (current fill is that) and i thought it was quality stuff, until i discovered how good PYB is thanks to this forum, i always thought PYB was expensive, but somehow i never really checked the walmart price.

Decent oil change for 22 bucks pretty much.

If you want to put something special in, QSUD is always good. as is Mobil 1.

oilstudent -
You load your question by saying it is an "upgrade" to use full synthetic oil. Is it? Why?
The MC blend is really good.
I'd use that or Pennzoil yellow bottle. But any major brand is very good now.

I thought an oil with a higher percentage of synthetic was probably a better oil. I like the motorcraft blend, but the price difference between blends and full synthetic is now much smaller. If a synthetic won,t give obvious benefits for my usage I,m fine staying with MC

The motorcraft is fine... if you're at the 5K OCI... my duratec's are on that... You can bargain hunt. I have Wolf's Head, Mag1, and Federated on my shelf that I got at bargain prices. All are up to snuff for the engine... and a 5K OCI is well in the safe range for them. Just snag an API-SN 5w-20 and relax.

We like to overthink things here at BITOG.

Dear Original Poster:

Anything is going to be good, it all depends on what you want

Cost:
Supertech or Mobil Super 5000, whatever you feel like buying, the price difference is not that great, like a dollar or two for a 5Q jug, the supertech is cheap but decent, and the mobil is full of titanium as an anti wear additive

Cleaning: Pennzoil Yellow Bottle. I have read good things about this oil.

Synthetic: Supertech, or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Get the QSUD on sale if you can.

Synth Blend: Valvoline Next Gen, it is quite good and can be had for cheap with the rebate, practicaly free. The walmart near me has it for 13 bucks on clearance in 5W30, i need to pick up a jug on friday.

Motorcraft oil is a fine product and will serve you well, it is a bit overpriced unless you can get a sale. i will not use it due to them only having 5W30 in quart bottles and not 5Q jugs.

If you want a better synthetic, Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra, Either one will be wonderful. But, in your engine QSUD is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back