Sugar withdrawals

Glad to hear you have stopped. It’s hard.

Heck when I’m away from sugar for a day or two even I start having withdrawals. I’ve drank soda since I was a little kid. Started with Sprite and Mtn Dew now I hate Sprite which is probably the best soda for you though I know none of it is actually good for you. So now I typically drink one 44oz soda (generally Mtn Dew or Pepsi) was 32oz but the gas station can’t get lids for those cups right now and the next foam cup available is 44oz. And then I take one to work to drink. Along with coffee that’s loaded with sugar because I don’t like it without sugar. I will only drink sweet tea no unsweet because that’s no good. It just seems sugar overwhelms everything and the stuff with no sugar isn’t good. I’m trying not to get more than one soda a day but it’s so hard for one thing we stop in there multiple times a day but also they are free because we have been going there for years so they just give them to us. I try to drink as much water with lemon as I can like when we go to restaurants I refuse to get a soda that’s a waste of money so I get water with lemon 🍋 or lime or both if they have it. I realized sometime ago when I was drinking about 4 a day that I needed to cut back. Which I successfully did but I really need to stop all together. It’s just so hard.

my mom made me a sugar addict when i was a kid. i have been a refined sugar addict all my life. i decided to quit cold turkey it's been 3 days. i am 49 and i want to live longer. i currently sweat a bit, i have headaches, i feel weak with not much energy, i feel depressed and i almost want to cry for nothing. i feel not great at all. i had started to change my diet a lot 8 years ago, but now i felt was the time to make the biggest change. no more refined sugars. it is poison. when i was 19 years old , i could drink 6 cans of 355ml pepsi a day. i am not that overweight, but i do have 20 to 25 pounds to lose to be at my best.

my mom made me a sugar addict when i was a kid. i have been a refined sugar addict all my life. i decided to quit cold turkey it's been 3 days. i am 49 and i want to live longer. i currently sweat a bit, i have headaches, i feel weak with not much energy, i feel depressed and i almost want to cry for nothing. i feel not great at all. i had started to change my diet a lot 8 years ago, but now i felt was the time to make the biggest change. no more refined sugars. it is poison. when i was 19 years old , i could drink 6 cans of 355ml pepsi a day. i am not that overweight, but i do have 20 to 25 pounds to lose to be at my best.

Quitting cold turkey is not necessarily the best approach. You may be better off doing it in stages; first cut out the sugary drinks/alcohol, then the snacks, then all sugar in one or two meals etc.

You can do it! The first 3 days are the toughest, once you get past those, you'll start feeling better, hang in there. I gave up refined sugar for years, so I know what you are going through. I do have it again, but I'm always looking at ways of changing my eating habits, for example, I do OMAD now. Here's a tip, if you have sugar cravings, try flavoured sparkling water. I too would drink bottles of pop every day, now I can't stand the taste. Good luck and PM if you need support or more tips. Just remember it's a journey, not a destination.

Concerning sugar, are things like fresh (or frozen) fruit and plain unsweetened yogurt healthy? They all have grams of sugar listed on the labels, but zero added sugars. Are those naturally occurring sugars good or bad for you?

It's not uncommon for me to eat a brand new pint of Haagen Das right out of the container.

You say that like it's a bad thing :cool:. One pint of Haagen Das coconut and pineapple coming right up!

I’m about two weeks into cutting sugar right now after watching Dr. Robert Lustig’s presentations. Specifically his explanation of how the various types of sugars break down biochemically in the liver and the role of fibre. I am prediabetic and can’t seem to shed any weight so this had to be done. The first few days I had headaches and generally felt like a bad hangover but I feel fine now. The cravings are so bad I had to write notes that say “sugar is poison” and post them around my house and in my car to make sure I stop myself from running down to the store to buy pepsi and candy.

I’m about two weeks into cutting sugar right now after watching Dr. Robert Lustig’s presentations. Specifically his explanation of how the various types of sugars break down biochemically in the liver and the role of fibre. I am prediabetic and can’t seem to shed any weight so this had to be done. The first few days I had headaches and generally felt like a bad hangover but I feel fine now. The cravings are so bad I had to write notes that say “sugar is poison” and post them around my house and in my car to make sure I stop myself from running down to the store to buy pepsi and candy.
Absolutely awesome 👏

we are ALL different so WHATEVER WORKS to stay HEALTHY as we age is what count!!! we can ALL change IMO!! i was 175 at 12 YO, nickname STUMPY!! i just ate + drank poorly + too much too often!!! so much info on line to learn if you find the right place + IMO Dr Sten Ekberg is one of the best as he explains "How the body works". its good to hear many that help theirselves, BUT a look around ANYWHERE you can see OBESITY is the worlds BIGGEST health issue + modern medicine is NOT helping IMO!!

Back