Sufficient drip leg in air system?

JHZR2

Staff member
I’m working to plumb my 60 gallon air compressor in my new workshop. It’s not a terribly complex setup:

Tank 3/4” opening - 3/4” ball valve - 3/4” barb fitting - ~4-6 ft 3/4” rubber hose - 3/4 to 1/2 NPT barb fitting - 1/2 tee - drip tube - nipple - filter/regulator - Milton V female

The section after the 3/4 ID rubber hose isn’t much, it’s just this:

FD7236BF-490E-4E8E-A194-9BB653782DA7.jpeg

Is that setup sufficient as a drip tube?

I set up the vertical section like that, with a 3/8 bushing at the end of the ball valve, so that I can put another Milton V female connector there and pull off unfiltered, unregulated, tank-pressure (~155psi) air if desired. But primarily it’s a drip tube. The valve has a bleeder so I can close off the tank and depressurize the whole section if I want to remove it or so something else.

Any issue with this approach?

Last edited:
I never get any water out of the vertical drops in my system, My compressor tank collects water in which the volume depends on duty cycle & humidity.

However......My main feed line is quite a bit higher than the compressor.

YHwYwx6.jpg

pcJAtkq.jpg

cZHWseF.jpg

U2L1mko.jpg

Nice.. what kind of flexible hose is that? I bought air hose off of mcmaster carr, but your stuff looks to be more robust. Like that there are fittings too...

Coming off the side outlet (bull) of a tee like you show will not work correctly to remove water. Air flow needs to change directions. Come into the filter from bull of the tee. Make the drop longer in case you forget to check it.

Expanded design. $50 later (ugh). I do get a lot of water out in the piping when discharging a lot of volume. Since I’ll be using this for oil spray, I really don’t want that water.

I’ll put a 3/4” street ell at the compressor tank, and make the 3/4” ID rubber hose go up and back down in an upside down U. Will work better for my location.

20C3CA66-7B53-4412-B95A-96C30A0DC05E.jpeg

Nice.. what kind of flexible hose is that? I bought air hose off of mcmaster carr, but your stuff looks to be more robust. Like that there are fittings too...
1525 psi WP hydraulic hose that I get made up at my local industrial hose wholesaler, Had them crimp 3/4" JIC ends on & used 3/4" NPT to 3/4" JIC fittings to make to connections. The whip off my compressor & the 60' run I got for the lift was reasonably priced. The 60 footer cost @ $350......Okay, That sound like a lot, But it will last forever at 150 psi.

Back