Shop Oil Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the proper forum for this or not but I am looking for some insight on building an oil "bar" for our farm shop.

We currently heat the shop using waste oil and our waste oil reservoir is a 275 gallon tote. Its big bulky and messy.

Our fresh oil is located on the other side of the shop. We have two tall round 120 gallon tanks for 15w40 and Hydraulic fluid that are bulk filled by the local coop. We also have Dex-cool and regular green antifreeze in 55 gallon drums. 10w30 and straight 30w are also in 55s as well as windshield washer fluid. All of these 55s sit on the floor with hand pumps in the top of them, some are lever action some are push rod. Our Diesel Exhaust Fluid is in a 330 gallon tote and currently has a temporary hand pump in it. We have the hose and nozzle to do gravity feed with it as we did not want to spend $1000 on a pump for it yet.

Other fluids are, 50w Synthetic, Dex III ATF, Dex IV ATF(may replace both ATFs with just transynd), 75w90 Synthetic,85w140,80w90 and Volvo Wet Brake/Transaxle oil. All of these are in 5 gallon pails with lever pumps on them. I think I may buy the ATF in a 55 next time. The only time its really needed in the pail pump is for filling transfer cases. The rest of time time it would be fine without the pump and maybe more handy and much faster. The rest are nice in pails because they all go in axles or transmissions. But we go through enough 80w90 and 75w90 that I have considered getting those in bulk as well and transferring to a pail pump or something.

Anyways, the setup is a mess, it makes a mess, its a PITA to deal with, and I hate it. I cant stand messes and oil makes a big one.

So I am building a new setup, but still on a budget of course.

The first building block for this is a new waste oil reservoir. i want to find one that holds at least 300 gallons, but it doesnt need to hold much more than that really, just whatever the size comes that fits my needs. More importantly i want it to be between 3 and 4' tall and only stick out from the wall about 3-4'. It can be up to 8' long without issues, but I would like to keep it around 4-6'. The height isnt so much an issue. i plan to cut the top off of it anyways no matter what it is in order to be able to clean it out, and have everything drain into it well.

The plan is to have the drip rack, funnel storage, drain pail/pan storage and a filter crusher, all drain into this tank through screens of course. I would probably have everything mounted above the tank or very near to it so that It can drain straight into it with little or no plumbing.

I also plan on having a large cutout with multiple screening stages for dumping drain pails into as well as totes of waste oil via the lower discharge valve.

I would basically cut out all of these areas into the top and then reinstall the top to minimize the chance of debris getting into it but still allow easy draining of the above items. All while keeping the top removeable so that in the off season (summer) we can clean out the sediment if needed. I wouldnt mind hanving a nice easy way to drain out the water/antifreeze as well since it seems to be an issue.

I dont know where I will find a tank for the job. May end up with something as simple as an old fuel barrel I dont know yet though but this is the number one thing I am trying to figure out right now, is what I could use and where could I get it for this tank.

The antifreezes and washer fluid as well as the Exhaust fluid would all drip into a seperate container.

We then have some pallet racking to put above this tank. If we can fit it we will do two levels (its only 9' pallet racking). All of the fluids will be stored on this pallet racking.

I would like to use stack on square oil totes. I would like to use 120 gallon totes for the antifreezes so that we can pre mix the concentrate and distilled water (which we would collect from our air conditioner/Dehumidifier). This would save a lot of time spent mixing, and tap water would no longer be used. I would then like to use 70s for the 55 gallon drum products.

The two 120 gallon totes would probably remain for the 15w40 and hydro.

I have to talk to the coop as well to see what they offer for bulk storage and such. we currently only get the 15w40 and hydro from them. The rest all comes from NAPA. If the Coop offers totes and all of the fluids we need in bulk then that would work very well if the price is right. Which it currently is on the two products we get from them now.

This is my idea as of now. This setup will keep the oil mess all in one corner of the shop and it is right inside our smaller 14' door where we can just back in a semi or tractor or anything else and service it right there and keep all the mess in one area. The car lift is across the shop on the other side, but it doesnt account for much of the oil mess and such.

Let me know if anybody has any other pointers tips or suggestions.

Thank you.

Well if its circular the area of a circle is pie x R squared. Then multiply that by the length of the tank to get cubic feet. Oil is about 8 gallons/cu foot.

Have you thought about building code, fire? spill/leak, a child falling in?

Were a farm shop, not really codes, rules or regulations to really follow yet. That being said we are environmentally cautious and do things safely.

The day will come when we will need to follow more and when it does we will change things with it, but hopefully we will have this design perfected by them so we dont waste a lot of money doing it to their specs and not liking it the first time.

Our Napa jobber just missed getting us a two pump,two reel two meter gun setup for $300. Sucks, o well.

Anyways I am working on this harder now as our fluids are all running low and If the local places have a tote agreement where you get them and they fill them I want to have it all figured out. As of now I havent found on doing that but as I said I am just getting started looking.

Anybody know of the cheapest place to buy the square stackable totes?

Thanks.

How can you be green without a bunch of permits and licenses and liability insurance and stuff?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
How can you be green without a bunch of permits and licenses and liability insurance and stuff?
laugh.gif

Curious about this as well. In CA the rules for this sort of thing are extremely strict.

As far as your oil storage, does your bulk oil distributor offer free or no cost storage in exchange for using their products? Ours gives us the storage tanks for bulk oil and ATF as long as we use them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
In CA the rules for this sort of thing are extremely strict.

California is like, and many of us wish it were, a different country. Not all of the country marches to California's overzealous rules and regulations.

In order to do things right you don't need a stack of permits or busy body government officials with nothing better to do. When we built our home we built it extremely "green" and needed a grand total of one (that's 1) permit and one (that's 1) septic system check by the county engineer.

I know a number of farmers, and I know of one trucking company that all heat with waste oil and store it in a variety of tanks. Again, no permits, no California regulations. Just people who are adult enough to not need a nanny watching over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back