Successfully brought a OPE battery back to life.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Recently was facing having to replace my riding mower battery. It was iffy last summer needing to be charged right before using. Well, that battery is still being used after sitting outside in the mower all winter uncharged. Before giving up on the battery. (note that this was a winter boredom relief project in mid March.) After having to jump the engine to start it and do a bit of spot mowing I was about to go to Wally World to get a new battery, instead I put the battery on my ancient Schumacher 6/2 amp charger. For the first 20 minutes it held at 4 amps or so, after a brief visit to 6 amps right after plugging in. Within a hour it was charging at about 1.5 amps. I left it plugged in all night. 36 hours later it was charging at about 1 amp. Unplugged it and waited 4 days to try to start it. Low and behold it cranked like mad and has kept working at 10 day intervals.

Last summer I tried this but with a lower output charger with a float mode. The battery still needed to be jumped or charged to crank enough to start. My guess is the non float charger kept charging constantly, fixing the dead cell. Just a guess. Opinions.

Last edited:
About 3 years
No idea of composition
I think I bought the Schumacher in the early 80's
20230419_120522.jpg
20230419_120519.jpg
20230419_120513.jpg

Back