Lawn Mower Battery - What's Up with That?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142
I was at napa looking for a battery for our side by side. The one napa has in stock has a 9/17 date on it! I walked.

Is this one of the batteries that is shipped pre-filled with acid, or one that you fill when you get it home (acid shipped with the battery, but in separate container)? If the later, I wouldn't worry one bit. I have bought batteries that are several years old when the acid is separate and not had any problems.

My lawn tractor is stored in an unheated shed on the down slope of a hill facing northwest. That shed doesn't see a lot of sunlight in fall and winter. We've had mid twenties for the lows this week, and low 50s for the highs. I've started the machine after getting home from work for the past three nights with zero issues. Whatever happened here appears to be some sort of fluke. My thoughts are that there is a circuit in there with some rudimentary level of memory that latched into a no-start state, and that removing battery power reset it. We will see how it goes. Mowing season begins in four weeks; stay tuned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back