Craftsman 5500 garden tractor battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever had a battery goes so dead your machine's stator can only put out enough power to keep the motor running ? and not the mowing deck ? I ran into this yesterday. My garden tractor battery was so dead that I couldn't even get a audible click when turning the key over. So I put it on the trickle charger and gave it a bit. Then I threw it into jump start mode and cranked on it.. NOTHING.. so I broke out jumper cables and hooked it up to my truck, that got things spinning.. so I let it run about 5 minutes then started mowing (released the emergency stop button on the dash to activate the mowing deck) that lasted about 5 minutes and then the deck disengaged and stopped. I turned the key off and then tried restarting the mower, absolutely flat dead. So I pulled my truck in the yard and re-jump started it, then back to the garage. I put my marine battery on it and bingo ! all systems were a go ! So this was a learning experience for me. With a dead battery you can jump start however the mowers stator is not putting out enough power to run the mower and keep the clutch activated for the mowing deck. This was on the Intek 24HP B&S MOTOR.

Yep. obviously its driven by the motor, but its activated by electric. learn something new all the time.

anything that is actuated by a switch is going to be electric. Most are electric now. My 1970's deere 212 does have a big lever you rotate to engage the manual blade clutch. They also had an electric option.

Most riding mowers use an electric clutch to activate the blades these days. Some of the lower end models still use the old fashioned linkage and tensioner pulley type system.

This is a pretty common thing. A weak battery won't allow for the electric blade clutch to hold. I've read of people blaming and wanting to replace the clutch, when it's just a low system voltage deal. E-clutches are nice from a packaging standpoint, but I do love lever/cable actuated clutches. The simple cable engagement system on my lowly Craftsman LT2000 is real simple and reliable.

Last edited:
those tractor batteries seem to fail real easy. We go through them more often on our (27 yo) Ariens rider than any car...

But that said, we usually just pull for a while. Never had such a situation. I suspect it is just like when an internal short occurs on a car battery, it trashes the dc bus, and everything goes haywire. BTDT on a car before!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
those tractor batteries seem to fail real easy. We go through them more often on our (27 yo) Ariens rider than any car..

They seem to last about 4-5 years, which isn't bad when you consider what they cost compared to a car battery.

I just replaced the battery in my John Deere. It was an Exide which was 4 years old. I got an Interstate and went with the higher CCA model. It had a regular price of $50 at Northern Tool, but I got it on sale for $35. The cheaper Interstate had a regular price of $35.

Cheaper lawn and garden batteries can be had for $20-25. I put one of these in my Craftsman tractor, which my mother-in-law now has since I got the John Deere. It's on its 4th year and still going strong.

I keep a $5 Hazard Fraught Tools trickle charger on my OPE batteries during the off season. It's been so long since I purchased a new OPE battery, IIRC, it was like $20 at Walmart, if that. They're a 'lil more expensive today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I keep a $5 Hazard Fraught Tools trickle charger on my OPE batteries during the off season. It's been so long since I purchased a new OPE battery, IIRC, it was like $20 at Walmart, if that. They're a 'lil more expensive today.

Out at the camp, we hook up all batteries to solar panels. Especially helpful over our long, cold winters. Every fall and spring the batteries are topped off with water to ensure levels are right. I've had exceedingly good luck with many batteries. My best battery ever lasted 26 years on my Kubota diesel generator. I bought it in 1986 and replaced it three years ago.

Trickle chargers & solar panels are great but electrolyte levels must be maintained in unsealed batteries for long life.

Wal Mart sells U-1 batteries for 19.95. The background I'm getting on batteries is leaning toward some sort of timed trickle charge for extending battery life.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Wal Mart sells U-1 batteries for 19.95. The background I'm getting on batteries is leaning toward some sort of timed trickle charge for extending battery life.

exactly what I bought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back