Substitute PureOne for Amsoil Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still searching for a larger full-flow filter. Found one but it's by Amsoil. I would be happy with the equivalent sized PureOne.

Can anyone cross reference the SDF-15 and SDF-26 back to PureOne numbers?

The information I'm working with shows these filters as matching L14670 specs. I believe it came from an Amsoil document:

code:

Amsoil # Diam. Height Thread Gasket ID x OD By-Pass

SDF-42 3.68" 3.966" .75x16 2.46" x 2.81" 7-9PSID

SDF-96 3.72" 4.336" .75x16 2.46" x 2.81" 7-9PSID

SDF-15 3.72" 5.276" .75x16 2.46" x 2.81" 7-9PSID

SDF-26 3.69" 7.125" .75x16 2.46" x 2.81" 7-9PSID

The SDF-15 is my fall-back size. I believe the 26 will fit but it'll be close.

Thanks,
David

I Believe the SDF 15 is the the Ford FL1 (the big one that goes on the old V-8's.

I don't know if there is a cross to the 26 since it is so big. I have never seen a standard filter that big.

Though the FL1 was a big filter in its day, BTW it is the most used filter on most drag racing and after market filter setups. LIke the remote filters from Summit, and such.

David,

Yes, the SDF-26 is a longer version of the SDF-15 ....On a similiar note, the SDF-76 is a longer version of the SDF-24 for some GM V-8 engines.

TooSlick

My Purolator catalog doesn't show SDF filters for Amsoil but ASF, I don't know if they are the same but the ASF15=PL30001 and the ASF26 isn't listed.

Thanks guys. I'll try those, keeping an eye out for a 26 equivalent.

You're probably right about it not crossing to typical models. It's a big filter. Unfortunately it's also $17 + shipping vs. $4.50 for a PureOne. A bypass filter seems the better investment.

David

I have used both the Amsoil and Pure One. Analysis results the same. Personally I think the Amsoil drainback valves fail at around the 6 month mark which is why they mandate a change at that point. Pure One, Mobil 1 I feel are as good if not better.

quote:

Originally posted by matt cook:
Amsoil 26 Equiv:

NAPA Gold 1773
Wix 51773
Baldwin BT256?

Now that I have the Wix cross reference, this works out to an L40017 Purolator.

Thanks for the help guys. Went out shopping last night & found the all-important Purolator catalog. Thought I'd found a goodie with the 40017 (good catch Patman), but of course everything above 30000 looks like it's for trucks and average stores don't carry it. The 30001, which I didn't think had a bypass valve, does in fact have one. I'm giving it a try.

What struck me as interesting was bypass pressures. The Purolator application chart matches my vehicle to Purolator 14670 which has these specs:
3.65" x 3.79", 12-15psi bypass, 3GPM flow

Amsoil's match is their SDF-15:
3.72" x 5.28", 7-9psi bypass, unknown flow

Now, pardon my ignorance, but why do the recommended filters have such a large variance in bypass pressures? Are some taking the easy route to preventing a case burst at the expense of filtration or is it not really that important? I might have figured it out by looking for any pressure mismatches in the other direction but it's been a long day...

FYI-
The Purolator (PureOne) 300001 that I chose:
3.78" x 5.24", 8-11psi bypass, 4GPM flow

The monster 40017:
3.69" x 7.12", 7-9psi bypass, 7GPM flow

David

I am running the NAPA Gold 1773 on my ford 4.9 and like it a lot. Most stores have it in stock for $8.

With the increase in flow, I would think that you are still in bypass mode less often.

quote:

Originally posted by GlenFord:
Can anyone tell me if the Purolator PL30001 has an anti-drainback valve?

I can tell you when I get home tonight, as my Purolator catalog will show whether or not that filter has it.

Hey Patman,

As long as you're getting out your Purolator catalog, can you confirm for me that the PL20195 is the "long version" of the PL10241? Also, can you post the important information (dia, length, bpv setting, gasket dia, etc.) for both of them?

Thanks!
worshippy.gif

Sure thing Scott! I should see if Purolator will send me a second catalog so I can keep one here at work too!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GlenFord:
Can anyone tell me if the Purolator PL30001 has an anti-drainback valve?

Yes, it does. It also has a bypass valve, rated at 8-11psi. If I recall, the catalog doesn't list drainback valves by filter. It lists dimensions, threads, bypass pressure (if it has a valve), and flow. Don't all spin-on filters have drainback valves?

Unfortunately the filter I picked up last night has a drainback valve problem. The rubber is visibly out of alignment with the ring it needs to seal against. Looks like a manufacturing defect. One more try...

Goes to show. You can read every test result, analyze all the marketing, buy only the best, but a single manufacturing flaw can nullify all the potential gains. Eyes open!
smile.gif

David

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
If I recall, the catalog doesn't list drainback valves by filter. It lists dimensions, threads, bypass pressure (if it has a valve), and flow. Don't all spin-on filters have drainback valves?

The catalog does list whether or not the filter has an antidrainback valve, as not all of their filters do. There are two long filters I can run on my 95 Firebird, the L30040 and the L34631 and the main difference between the two is that the 30040 doesn't have the antidrainback valve.

[ September 10, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scott in WI:
Hey Patman,

As long as you're getting out your Purolator catalog, can you confirm for me that the PL20195 is the "long version" of the PL10241? Also, can you post the important information (dia, length, bpv setting, gasket dia, etc.) for both of them?

Thanks!
worshippy.gif

It's true, the 20195 is the long version of that filter. They both share the same bypass setting of 12-15psi, both flow 3gpm and both have an antidrainback valve. Same connection size too (3/4-16" UNF-2B) Here are their dimensions:

L10241 is 2.98 x 3.42
L20195 is 2.98 x 4.77

And as was confirmed above the L30001 does have an antidrainback valve.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The catalog does list whether or not the filter has an antidrainback valve, as not all of their filters do.

Yep, you're right. I was confusing column meanings.

Useless trivia: Another cross-reference of the Purolator L40017 is Carquest #85773. Now that's a big filter. Carquest are made by Wix so should be reasonably good.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back