Subaru FB25 OCI Changed to 6000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 14 Subaru FB25. In the owners manual it states 7500 OCI. In the 15 Forester manual, it states the OCI is 6000 miles. So, what to do? I am using Pennzoil Platinum for the foreseeable future in it and my Honda. Thanks to the Shell gas deal, at have 250 quarts of it.

I plan on getting a UOA after a 5k run on the PP.

What would you do? 6k or 7.5k OCI?

I think you've answered your own question.
The 5K UOA will tell you how well the oil is holding up in the use the car gets.
If it looks grand, you might be fine to 7.5K.
If it looks dodgy, then you'll be able to plan OCIs on that basis.
It might not be a bad idea to hit some Subie sites, like the Forester one, and learn what Subaru's rationale for the reduction was.
It could be something as silly as having people run their engines out of oil on longer drain intervals, since some of these engines do show higher consumption than is typical of most modern engines and most drivers have zero intention of ever pulling the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I think you've answered your own question.
The 5K UOA will tell you how well the oil is holding up in the use the car gets.
If it looks grand, you might be fine to 7.5K.
If it looks dodgy, then you'll be able to plan OCIs on that basis.
It might not be a bad idea to hit some Subie sites, like the Forester one, and learn what Subaru's rationale for the reduction was.
It could be something as silly as having people run their engines out of oil on longer drain intervals, since some of these engines do show higher consumption than is typical of most modern engines and most drivers have zero intention of ever pulling the dipstick.

^this. Or it may be that Subaru found that many owners were letting their oil go too ling past 7500 and adjusted to 6000 so that when they got it changed "a little late" they were still under 7500.

We really can't know why Subaru changed it, but your plan for UOA for your own vehicle is solid.

Last edited:
I say you run it 6k and then pull a sample. If the oil looks good at 6k based on your driving style and conditions then go on to 7.5k (or longer) during the next interval.

Why sample earlier then needed at 5k? It doesn't make any sense and is a waste. The point is the spend as little as possible for maintenance, not overdo it.

Why spend more money on the car then needed? Use that cash to take the wife to dinner or something.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I would run it to 5,000 or 6,000 and get a UOA w/TBN and go from there.

Thats the plan.

I am thinking it is reduced because they are having reports of consumption. I have had none.

From what i can tell there doesn't seem to be any differences internally that would effect the OCI.
It may have something to do with the cam chains tearing the oil up. 6K or 6 Mo seems reasonable.

It also depends upon how much operating time the engine spends after the oil is fully warmed up .... and this usually take about 15 minutes of driving before the oil is fully up to operating temperature to burnoff contaminants.

IF your vehicle does a lot of short trips of less than 15 minutes, then more frequent servicing is needed.

In the winter months, I typically go 4,000 miles LOF changes and 6,000 in the summer with extended driving.

Talk on Subaru forums is that the FB25 engine has a tendency to burn oil. It doesn't affect all engines, for some reasons some burn oil and some don't. So the talk is that Subaru reduce the OCI to ensure that the engine oil is changed before it gets too low. You can find more info on Subaru Forester forums.

If that is in fact the case, then you can safely go 7,500 miles as long as you keep an eye on your oil level between oil changes and top up as needed. I think doing as you planned of getting a UOA done with TBN after 5-6k miles, then going from there, would also be a great idea.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

This. SOME of the FB series engines have shown oil consumption issues. Others not so much. But for the average person who never touches their dipstick ever, it makes sense to shorten the interval before there is a problem.

Personally, I think if the answer to "When was the last time you checked your oil?" is a "Huh? Never it's a new car!" you've earned the warranty being voided for negligence...but that's just me.

I did an oil change on a 2011 Forester with the FB engine and I drained about 1.5 out. Last oil change was about 12k and 5 months ago. My uncle has a 2013 Legacy and that consumes no oil at all.

Originally Posted By: WeenieHutJr
I did an oil change on a 2011 Forester with the FB engine and I drained about 1.5 out.

Wow that's great, goes to show that the owner must be keeping the engine topped off with oil.

The engine in the Forester is working harder, running through AWD and pulling more weight around.

I'm staying with the 7.5 k mile oci (oil change interval). As mentioned by others, Subaru has not sent me a letter telling me that I should no longer follow the 7.5 k oci. There is no reason to feel it is not valid.

If you look for other threads here, on this same subject, where Subaru owners in Europe have commented, they point out that their Owners Manual calls for an even longer oci for the same engine. Not sure why Subaru decided to go with a 6 k oci on the '15 models. I suspect as others have suggested, that it may be related with idiots that don't check oil level between oil changes, thus reducing the risk of damage from low oil level. But that's entirely speculation. I also am using PP. It's a quality oil that is suitable for longer oil change intervals. The manual says go to 7.5 k. What more do we need?

Did Subaru put the revised FB25 in the 15 Forester? The 15 Legacy and Outback have it.

I think the 6K number just covers all conditions. I am surprised the number isn't 6214 miles.

Originally Posted By: Shark
The engine in the Forester is working harder, running through AWD and pulling more weight around.

Should be no difference as the Forester has basically the same AWD system as the Legacy. Plus the Legacy is a few pounds (100-200) heavier than the Forester. The type of transmission makes some difference in weight, but overall the Legacy is still chunkier.

Edmunds info on both:

Subaru Forester

Subaru Legacy

Originally Posted By: sicko
Talk on Subaru forums is that the FB25 engine has a tendency to burn oil. It doesn't affect all engines, for some reasons some burn oil and some don't. So the talk is that Subaru reduce the OCI to ensure that the engine oil is changed before it gets too low. You can find more info on Subaru Forester forums.

If that is in fact the case, then you can safely go 7,500 miles as long as you keep an eye on your oil level between oil changes and top up as needed. I think doing as you planned of getting a UOA done with TBN after 5-6k miles, then going from there, would also be a great idea.

I figure I'll update this thread...

The OCI for the 2013 models is 7500 miles, newer model years are 6000 miles.

The FB25 engines, especially made before May 2013 (as indicated in Subaru TSB documents), are known to burn oil, with some of them burning several QTs between changes. TSB: 02-143-13R

Moreover, they have lowered the OCI and are actively swapping out the oil level sensors and reprogramming the ECU to trigger the low oil warning light so that it turns on with LESS oil in the engine. This is being done on cars that are burning lower amount of oil (anything under 1/3 QT per 1200 miles).

Then there is another issue at play for cars that are deamed to be burning oil and need to be diagnosed:

The biggest issue at the moment is that Subaru’s dealers dont get paid full rate for the engine work. They also dont get allocated enough hours that make sure doing the short block is really cost effective for them. In addition, the dealer has to repair any issues resulting with replacement of the short blocks, which seems to be frequent. As such, many dealers are resorting to adding too much oil to the engine during the oil consumption tests (which are performed as per the “FB Engine Oil Control Ring TSB Oil Consumption Test” document). They are appear to be doing this to prevent having to replace the engines on vehicles that only burn oil at a rate of two QTs evey 7200 miles, which is the replacement threashhold.

So, what I'am actually saying is that there is more to the story of the change to 6000 mile OCI change, and that extended oil use may not be wise with the FB25 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back