Subaru cvt maintenance

When ever I hear about people doing a drain/refill I rarely hear that the transmission pan was removed a the filter replaced.Subaru needs to get real and have a real service interval for their cvt transmission.

When ever I hear about people doing a drain/refill I rarely hear that the transmission pan was removed a the filter replaced.Subaru needs to get real and have a real service interval for their cvt transmission.
How many hyundais have you replaced the transmission filter on?

That's because Subaru is smart enough to include a drain plug on their transmissions :D

Dropping the pan is just not necessary. However, for the CVT, you need a scan tool to read the transmission temperature and a flat surface because the car has to be level.

If you care about the color, Cam2 CVT fluid is green. Transtar CVT is also green. Valvoline and Amalie are amber. Most of the others are red. This doesn't really matter, but some people feel more comfortable using the same color as OE.

One transmission fluid change every 30-60k should be sufficient.

To be fair, Subaru isn't the only one pretending they're lifetime fluids that never need to be changed. Only Honda is honest enough to say they need regular service, and Honda makes changing the fluid VERY easy--no scan tool needed.

What for? Subaru says the CVT fluid is a lifetime fill, so why does the filter need to be easily accessible? ;)

Don't get me wrong. I love to replace filters, whatever type they are, as part of my car maintenance. But so far I haven't seen anything to show that replacing the filter in the Subaru CVT is needed.

From what I have learned, from my own experience and the experiences shared by others, early fluid changes are important for the longevity of a CVT. But I haven't seen anything to show that Subaru CVT's fail, even after fluid changes, if the filter is not changed, and that they do not fail if both are changed.

When ever I hear about people doing a drain/refill I rarely hear that the transmission pan was removed a the filter replaced
On some car's the filter is internal and short of taking the transmission apart, isn't replaceable.

Subaru needs to get real and have a real service interval for their cvt transmission.
Subaru wants to give the impression their cars are low maintenance on the showroom floor, so not going to happen.

That's because Subaru is smart enough to include a drain plug on their transmissions :D

Dropping the pan is just not necessary. However, for the CVT, you need a scan tool to read the transmission temperature and a flat surface because the car has to be level.

If you care about the color, Cam2 CVT fluid is green. Transtar CVT is also green. Valvoline and Amalie are amber. Most of the others are red. This doesn't really matter, but some people feel more comfortable using the same color as OE.

One transmission fluid change every 30-60k should be sufficient.

To be fair, Subaru isn't the only one pretending they're lifetime fluids that never need to be changed. Only Honda is honest enough to say they need regular service, and Honda makes changing the fluid VERY easy--no scan tool needed.
Do I really need a scan tool for temps if I'm simply dropping the fluid in the pan and replacing exactly the same amount? The problems with the ******s at Subaru is the latest version of their CVT fluid can only be purchased in 5 gallon buckets!!

Do I really need a scan tool for temps if I'm simply dropping the fluid in the pan and replacing exactly the same amount? The problems with the ******s at Subaru is the latest version of their CVT fluid can only be purchased in 5 gallon buckets!!
How do you know the amount in there now is correct? You can probably estimate the temperature by touching the pan. If it's it obviously cool to the touch, it's not warm enough. If if it's pleasantly warm. it's about right. If you can't keep your hand on it more than a few seconds, its too hot.

HPL now has a CVT fluid available that satisfies the several Subaru CVT fluid specs. Not only is it available in less than 5 gallon pails, it’s significantly cheaper than the OEM fluid.

Only downside right now is there’s no data on the website about it yet… I’ll see if I can get the PDS for it.

EDIT: Found it!
IMG_3477.jpeg

Last edited:

You don't have to buy the fluid from the dealer. I got Cam2 CVT fluid at a great price, less than half what the dealer charges. I got a case of 12 quart bottles, so you don't have to worry about the 5-gallon bucket, either.

My bad… it just got added!
IMG_3479.jpeg

How do you know the amount in there now is correct? You can probably estimate the temperature by touching the pan. If it's it obviously cool to the touch, it's not warm enough. If if it's pleasantly warm. it's about right. If you can't keep your hand on it more than a few seconds, its too hot.
On mine, I used a temp gun on the outside of the pan to get in the ballpark.

The problems with the ******s at Subaru is the latest version of their CVT fluid can only be purchased in 5 gallon buckets!!
Did a 2021 Forrester last week and the fluid came from the dealer in quarts, try calling your dealer.
Honda recommends every 30k.
Did one yesterday on a 2021 CRV with about 35k miles. Drained it (drain plug), replaced the pan filter and washed out the pan including the magnets. Replaced the filter element under the heat exchanger and then filled it with an HCF2 equivalent and not a universal fluid. After a significant warm up of the fluid, I then proceeded to correct the fluid level . ☑️
Hopefully it wasn't too hot, I drained about 5250mL COLD and added roughly the same until it was HOT and dripping out and the check plug.

Last edited:
Did a 2021 Forrester last week and the fluid came from the dealer in quarts, try calling your dealer.

Did one yesterday on a 2021 CRV with about 35k miles. Drained it (drain plug), replaced the pan filter and washed out the pan including the magnets. Replaced the filter element under the heat exchanger and then filled it with an HCF2 equivalent and not a universal fluid. After a significant warm up of the fluid, I then corrected the fluid level . ☑️

Hopefully it wasn't too hot, I drained about 5250mL COLD and added roughly the same until it was HOT and dripping out and the check plug.
2021 Forrester is CVTF-II not CVTF-III.

Back