Subaru Cooling System Conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked about it but now finally getting around to flushing coolant in my 17 Outback 3.6. I'm using Pentafrost A3 (have 3 gallons) and I picked up a 2 pack of Subaru cooling system conditioner. The size of each of the 2 bottles is 125ml. Am I supposed to use 1 of the 125ml bottles or both? I assume 1 bottle per flush as that is common sense to me but I don't like to assume when I don't know. I bottle or 2 boys?

The subaru coolant conditioner is a rebranded product to help mitigate HG issues, IIRC.

Your engine is not prone to those issues so I believe it is unnecessary.

This is my 'finger in the wind' analysis based on researching it years ago when my friends Subuaru starting losing coolant.

The dealership was less than honest and appeared to want him to buy a new subaru. They indicated "they couldn't do anything about it"

Except Subaru makes a product to address the issue so "nothing" appears to be "something"

I encourage other members to recorrect/refute anything I have offered

Last edited:
The cooling system conditioner is, in some peoples opinion, nothing more than rebranded Stop Leak ... your cars 3.6L did not have the infamous Subaru head gasket issues that plagued the brand up until 2011. I'm not sure I would bother, especially given the fact you are changing coolant on a 2 year old car.

Last edited:
It is made by Holts in England IIRC but they may be making in the US now I am not sure. It is Ginger root based like Barleak and GM tabs. It is harmless and it will not plug or bother anything, if you feel better with cheap insurance go ahead, its harmless but it does work.
Ginger root is one of the few and may be the only material that stays in a compressed state when wet but expands in the presence of air and heat. No it will not congeal in the bottle, it just runs around forever as tiny particles until it finds a leak.

As much as we love to maintain our vehicles sometimes we can go overboard and cause more harm or extra problems can arise, especially with rad flushes....or even transmission flushes, I have read countless threads of issues arising especially with rad flushes. For rad I wouldn't touch before 4-5 years as they are more than capable of doing this run on rad fluid. And I don't flush, I just dump and refill. I have seen countless vehicles running in the high miles without people going in depth, such as brake fluid, power steering fluid etc. All my vehicles only fluids I maintain in a 5 year period are engine oil, and diff oil. If I still have said vehicle then I do cooling system (no flush) especially with the Jeep and what they use for cooling fluid. And turkey blaster with power steering and brake fluid. To each there own tho, and in no way am I saying this in a negative tone!

I used it whenever I totally flushed the cooling system in our late 2008 OBS, which is two times; the owner's manual recommended it. I am not sure it worked or not, but I did not have any head gasket issues until the car was totaled at ~143K miles. If your owner's manual recommends its use, go ahead and use it, if not, use your judgement. I still have a couple of sealed bottles of the Holt's magic potion in my stash. Will use it in our Brat some day.

IIRC I got the notion of it directly from the manual. It isn't me looking to go overboard. Although I am prone to that
banana2.gif

I wouldn't touch that stuff in your shoes. 236k on my 09 legacy, never used or needed that stuff. I'd worry about it gunking up the heater core. Are you already at 137,500mi? I checked the owners manual online and didn't see anything about cooling system conditioner, but maybe I missed it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Ginger root will not clog anything if used as directed. GM used it on N* engines right at the factory as a preventative.

Interesting. I wish this forum had a "like" or "thanks" button for posts, because that's all I really want to say. I admit I hadn't read all the previous replies before mine, I'll have to read up on ginger root.

In addition; it was to stop weeping in older 4 cylinder engines that were prone to seep coolent. Use it with confidence and one bottle per is the required amount. Ed

Originally Posted by sxg6
Originally Posted by Trav
Ginger root will not clog anything if used as directed. GM used it on N* engines right at the factory as a preventative.

Interesting. I wish this forum had a "like" or "thanks" button for posts, because that's all I really want to say. I admit I hadn't read all the previous replies before mine, I'll have to read up on ginger root.

Years ago I had a question about a radiator leak on an old car and called Bar's Leaks and spoke to the technical person and he said exactly what Trav said. Right off the factory line and radiator shops will use it. I would have never guessed in a thousand years of ginger root but apparently it's a thing. Good to know..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back