Subaru - best AWD technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I've seen the opposite... AWD can't make it up the small incline to the parking at work (dealership) without winter tyres but fwd makes it up if they have winter tyres. Including my own, and the Michelin Crossclimates on those are likely closer to all-seasons but do have the 3pms symbol.

Part time "AWD" crippled with electronic interference, wide low profile LRR 3 season tires, and a driver that hits the gas too hard, can be impressively useless in snow near around freezing temps. An "AWD" system that needs wheelspin to activate really relies on decent tires to get moving from a stop or in low speed climbing, and can spin up 2 or 3 or 4 icy patches quite quickly.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I've seen the opposite... AWD can't make it up the small incline to the parking at work (dealership) without winter tyres but fwd makes it up if they have winter tyres. Including my own, and the Michelin Crossclimates on those are likely closer to all-seasons but do have the 3pms symbol.

Part time "AWD" crippled with electronic interference, wide low profile LRR 3 season tires, and a driver that hits the gas too hard, can be impressively useless in snow near around freezing temps. An "AWD" system that needs wheelspin to activate really relies on decent tires to get moving from a stop or in low speed climbing, and can spin up 2 or 3 or 4 icy patches quite quickly.

My MDX with SH-Awd can have that issue unlike my Subaru. However once I learned shutting off skid control (VSC) it went into a mode where it was more or less 4wd and no more chatter of brakes/traction control and motors out.

the vehicle in question was the current Hyundai Tucson and had Continental ContisportContact 5 in 245/45R19. there's a 4x4 lock button but I wonder if the owner tried... the tyres definitely aren't LRR but they are wide and low profile.

the vehicle in question was the current Hyundai Tucson and had Continental ContisportContact 5 in 245/45R19. there's a 4x4 lock button but I wonder if the owner tried... the tyres definitely aren't LRR but they are wide and low profile.

Those tires are summer tires. AWD isn't going to help, neither is locking it to 50:50.

I've seen the same situation happen. A 2004 Subaru WRX STI with summer tires having difficulty climbing a small hill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back