Sub Inflation

I was actually just thinking about this. Fast food prices have probably almost doubled here in the last ten years. A decent burger combo or footlong Subway with drink is like $18 now. With minimum wage soon to be $17.40, it's not surprising.
True! The fast food apps do great here.. Cooking at home may come back in vogue..

How about a minimum wage that doesn’t reflect the need to pay someone 16.45 an hour to make a sandwich yet some person who has a college education get paid 20 dollars an hour. Or auto makers post strike get 75 dollars an hour to turn a bolt or use a hydraulic lift or push in a plastic tab. As wages go up prices go up and as the fed devalues the dollar prices go up.

Too many places are mismanaged, too. When your discretionary spending budget gets pressure, you demand more from your experience and have less tolerance for mediocrity.
There used to be some value many times in eating out. I.E. for a little more than you could make it at home-you could go out. Went to McDonalds today-before an "In APP Discount"- for 1 Big Mac Sandwich, 1 BigMac Meal, 1 diet coke and a kids meal it was $20.00. Used an in APP discount and it was a little over $10.00. The later being "a value". The before discount price not so much.

eat out once on weekends, thats enough $$$$ + of course you get unhealthier foods than home cooking as SEED OILS are always used to fry anything, no real grass fed butter either!!

Maybe their supplier didn't do small increases and they got hit with an unexpected price increase? They raised the min wage here for fast food to $20/ hr. And the cost of food went up. It's all over Facebook right now .

Went to a local sub shop.
Italian sub is $8.95
I give them a 10 spot and walk

I just went in and did the same and the owner said hold up... they are now $13.95...

Before I get beaten...yes I know they can charge whatever they want and I have no issue with that at all.

But whatever happened to incremental increases? Like a $1 at a time or two.

It was the owner and he acted like a worker shaking his head. But I know who he is and I pretty much know what he did.. he hasn't been working much this year and he got around and saw other places pricing. I see it too but he has a thriving business but those places don’t...

I think a $5 increase is nuts overnight. I think it will be a costly mistake. Who said inflation has flattened out?

Another local pizza place just sold to a guy with new signage saying authentic NJ pizza. . Three topping large regular pizza $28 + tax..
It ain't gonna fly here in backwoods country..
We went to the same blue collar steak shop for 15 years. It was the same drill. Extra large cheesesteak for same as those tourist traps, and way too much meat, spilling out all over. Best to call ahead instead of showing up and standing for 30 min in a crowded area. Continued through pandemic, and a car crashed into the bldg and closed temporarily. We go last year and hmmm no phone? Get there hmmm nobody waiting? Hmm price went from $18 (not large but xxl) and now $24 and no meat falling out everywhere? Truly said to see a legend fall.

When places make it seem like too much food and prices too low, they will pack their establishments. This was 15 years, not fly by night. But gone today 😡

Then there’s pho. Went up to $9.25 at start of pandemic, now $15 😂

Back