Stupid AC filter question....

It doesn’t matter how many units are outside because there is only one air handler inside and that’s what the filter is for.
I have had very good service from HDs True Blue filters. They are pleated and very well priced when compared for Filterette brand.
Incorrect
We have 2 units outside, 2 completely separate air handlers and ductwork inside, 2 filters/intakes for each air handler = 4 filters in all.

With the same material, yes. More pleats (and/or deeper pleats) give you more surface area to flow the same amount of air over.

That is why this deep return air filter intrigued me.
I have used some of the high efficiency normal size filters, and I can hear a difference vs the green filters (I remember when they used to be blue).
I also found they tended to get dirty much faster, making airflow even worse.
Now I know a 4-5" deep filter will not give me 4-5x the filtering area over a 1 inch, but it will greatly increase it.

My unknown is will I realize a difference using a $35 filter vs a $3 filter. I don't know, but am willing to give it a go.
I wish I had a way to test airflow (I know there are tools out there for it, but I am not buying one), but think I may be able to tell just by sound how well it is flowing (I may pull my electrostatic filter down as well and see how that sounds).
I was thinking more pleats would interrupt airflow, you know, like hurdles?

Air does not have to go over each pleat, it just gives you more area for the air to flow over.

Yup...instead of an atom trying to go through the same area on the filter where a whole bunch of other atoms are trying to go through, there is additional "free-area" on the filter to go through with the deep pleats.

Yup...instead of an atom trying to go through the same area on the filter where a whole bunch of other atoms are trying to go through, there is additional "free-area" on the filter to go through with the deep pleats.
Never thought about it on an atomic level.
😗

Pleats have more surface area. More surface area allows for longer use as it can hold more material before restricting air flow.
True, but even new, the increased surface area reduces suction losses and increases airflow.

Warning Diatribe Ahead! This may or may not be a good thing depending on how the system was designed. The installer should've measured static pressures with the desired filter in place and adjusted airflow from there. If you then go to a less restrictive air filter you may find the air passes over the coil too quickly and the system does not cool and dehumidify as intended. Too restrictive and airflow slows over the coil causing the coil to freeze and reduced airflow from the supply vents reduces cooling capacity.

Having purchased numerous heating/AC systems in numerous types of buildings in a few states I can tell you HVAC is the wild west with tons of hacks. Hard to find someone who "does it right" with Manual-J's and commissioning reports not to mention actually knowing how to design and implement ducting.

True, but even new, the increased surface area reduces suction losses and increases airflow.

Warning Diatribe Ahead! This may or may not be a good thing depending on how the system was designed. The installer should've measured static pressures with the desired filter in place and adjusted airflow from there. If you then go to a less restrictive air filter you may find the air passes over the coil too quickly and the system does not cool and dehumidify as intended. Too restrictive and airflow slows over the coil causing the coil to freeze and reduced airflow from the supply vents reduces cooling capacity.

Having purchased numerous heating/AC systems in numerous types of buildings in a few states I can tell you HVAC is the wild west with tons of hacks. Hard to find someone who "does it right" with Manual-J's and commissioning reports not to mention actually knowing how to design and implement ducting.
Correct, just check the temp drop after the new filter is in and tweaking the blower speed can help maintain proper flow. Obviously duct design is not so easily managed and you can only hope the static pressure is close to appropriate.

Well, I got my Filterbuy filters today.
It fits in place perfectly (actually a little better than the cheapie ones) and although I have no way to measure how much it actually flows, by ear, it sounds like it flows better than the slightly used green one.

111.jpg

222.jpg

That green filter has been on about 3 months (not near as much use in the wintertime), summer time I need to change it monthly.
Having a dog that sheds does not help at all for sure.
I will check this new one periodically and see how it looks.
I am still not crazy about the price, but if I notice a difference in the dust level in the house, I may keep using them, especially if I can get 6 or more months per filter.

Wow, that's a pretty big filter dimension wise. Im sure it will last at least six months, it will also capture a lot more dust. Im not sure how much additional air flow I would expect coming from a green filter simply because green filters do not have a high merv and pretty much are there to keep the coils clean and from clogging up then filter air for humans.
Interesting experiment. I will expect it to capture quite a bit of dust but I wouldn't go and change it too soon, remember all the extra filter material that is present.
Great photo showing the difference.

Yeah, I am in no hurry to swap it out.

I actually hope to get a year out of it, but I will see.

When I am done with it, I was going to cut it up and measure exactly how many square inches it is.
Rough guess is new one is over 4500 sq/inches (27 pleats with about 9 inches per pleat (says 5 inches, but would say 4.5 is more likely), about 19 actual inches wide).
The green one is ~ 550 sq/inches (it is a 20x30, but about an inch is taken off for the cardboard sides).

I am in the Great State of Texas again for a week. Lotsa AC use here in Arlington... The house has 2 AC units!
The current AC filters are really thin, chintzy green things. Lotta dust around here...
20x20x1

What brand do you recommend?
I use these in CA, but CA ain't like TX. Amazon Filters

Thanks in advance!
I use filterbuy 20x25x5" filters for my 20x25x1" system. It's an adapter. MERV11. Stoopid low backpressure. They deliver it every 3 months on autodraft for <$30.

This. Cheapest pleated I can find. My HVAC guy actually recommends fiberglass filters, says most of his repairs are because of high filtering restricted filters.

IMO, Not true. Most of the problem is the condenser got dusty because the dust come in from fiberglass filter.
Your HVAC guy tell you that because he wants to clean the condenser or replace it more often. LOL!!!

To answer OP:
I am in your area, I used this one like the one posted above for 20x20x1 filter and replace with 20x20x5:

Get an Aprilaire media filter housing installed. It uses 5" filters.
I'm having an Aprilaire filter cabinet installed next Week / 4"x16"x25"
At first I did NOT want Aprilaire because they have a proprietary filter.
I wanted to be able to purchase a filter from any big box store.

BUT, I believe Aprilaire will seal better around the edges, preventing any bypass of dust.
ALSO, the Aprilaire has 17 pleats, vs 11 pleats from the big box store / that should help lower the pressure drop.
I have been very impressed with Aprilaires Customer Service / top notch.

Amazon has the filters for $43.00 each, which should last most people for one year.
I bought (8) on E-Bay for $29.00 each.

I use the Purolator P312 filters, 20x25x1, change it out every other month, like to spray mine with Lemon Pledge for a little tackiness to hold more dust and nice smell. :D

I have a service agreement for my two heat pumps. They change the filters. I am told but have never really verified that if you don't have a service contract, if you have an issue with the HVAC you may wait until the company services their regular customers.

One is in the attic area and other in crawl space. So neither in a I feel like dealing with.

I use the Purolator P312 filters, 20x25x1, change it out every other month, like to spray mine with Lemon Pledge for a little tackiness to hold more dust and nice smell. :D

Good idea + lemon fresh scent. 👍

I will try that on my next filter change.

Back