Stupid AC filter question....

I am in the Great State of Texas again for a week. Lotsa AC use here in Arlington... The house has 2 AC units!
The current AC filters are really thin, chintzy green things. Lotta dust around here...
20x20x1

What brand do you recommend?
I use these in CA, but CA ain't like TX. Amazon Filters

Thanks in advance!

3M Filtrete 1500 or 1900 series. They do a great job of keeping your house clean. I used these exclusively on my parents furnace. It lasted 21 years. Filters are cheap, cleaning ducts and replacing furnaces are not.

Just use a cheap pleated filter. The super allergen ones are very restrictive especially if the filter isn't sized right to begin with.
WS6 posted an article where a Filtrete 1900 had a lower initial pressure drop than the basic models. I’ve since been using those over the cheaper ones. They even print on the bottom of the filter the pressure drop and the 1900’s are lower than the rest.

Yep - it's why I switched to the 1900 instead of the 1500 costco sells here in Canada

IMG_5332 2.jpg

I’ve talked to a few A/C guys and they always recommend the cheap green ones in our extreme heat for maximum efficiency, and in the winter to use the pleated filters.

This. Cheapest pleated I can find. My HVAC guy actually recommends fiberglass filters, says most of his repairs are because of high filtering restricted filters.
Same here. Sold our house a couple years ago and got the 27 year old furnace serviced prior to sale and they said I was using too nice a filter basically. Guess I didn’t do enough research

One reason the AC guys want you to use the cheapest filter so they can sell you on the coil cleanings.

I use a MERV 11-12 filters in my system and enjoy the benefits of cleaner air, with no issues at all. If you are worried about airflow buy a filter with more pleats.

It's amazing that we(bobistheoilguy) care about micron ratings about our engine air/oil filters but when it comes to HVAC filters nah just use a rock catcher.

One reason the AC guys want you to use the cheapest filter so they can sell you on the coil cleanings.

I use a MERV 11-12 filters in my system and enjoy the benefits of cleaner air, with no issues at all. If you are worried about airflow buy a filter with more pleats.

It's amazing that we(bobistheoilguy) care about micron ratings about our engine air/oil filters but when it comes to HVAC filters nah just use a rock catcher.
Well I have never had my coils cleaned (and is not needed) in my current system since the install by my friend almost 16 years ago, and use the green ones based on his recommendation.
Just because an A/C tech says you need your coils cleaned does not mean they do.
Honest A/C guys will not do that.
Similar to many dealers and shops trying to upsell when not needed.

My sisters system has the filter on the ceiling as well as a really big one right before the coils.
She uses the cheap green one on the ceiling, they are changed when I come over and think about it (every 2-3 months), and I checked the filter in the attic by the coil and it still looks new, even though it is almost 10 years old.
Similar with my mom's A/C.

I use what is appropriate for my needs and desires, home air filters or automotive oil filters.

I am in the Great State of Texas again for a week. Lotsa AC use here in Arlington... The house has 2 AC units!
The current AC filters are really thin, chintzy green things. Lotta dust around here...
20x20x1

Thanks in advance!
Our home used to use 2- 20x20x1 and 2- 14x14x1

I replaced them all with and only use 20x20x5 and 14x14x5 return grill filters. AKA 20x20x4 and 14x14x4
If you read all the responses above the 5 inch thick filters (actually 4.5 inch) I use cover all the bases! No restriction, great filtering capacity, dont have to be replaced as often. You can buy merv 8 or 11. Or one of each. Lower level of the house tends to pick up more dirt.

In hour home this means having to replace once a year, all four and honestly the ones on the second floor dont even look like they need it. I like the idea of higher flow through the vastly more surface area of a 4 inch deep media over less then half inch. Our main level has ceilings up to 16 feet high and the discharge registers are about maybe 10 feet high so I like to move alot of air downwards.

They aren't that common, most people (consumers) do not know they exist or even aware of the benefits. Once you start buying them and knowing how to search for them online it becomes second nature. Those expensive cheap thin filters you buy in the stores are huge money makers for the stores, I cant believe the price that some pay.

Im brand loyal to no company, I buy mostly price and at the same time I have learned which companies offer nicely made much better then Honeywell products, some made here in the USA, Honeywell is also ok, its just a filter.
I like Merv 8 or 11... IN the 14x14 I use mostly 11 but sometimes 8. It really depends more on price, doesnt matter, they are all good. But normally at least 2 of the four filters we use are Merv 11 and if they were 8 I wouldn't lose any sleep at all over it.

This is what I am using right now for the 20x20x5 ... I am happy with this company enough that I saved the site. Quality is top notch and price is great. But there are others, you just have to make sure you search 20x20x5 (or4) RETURN GRILL FILTERS.
Click here = 20x20x5 Return Grill Filter (keep in mind the price you see is for TWO filters, which is a great price for the quality) For the price I go with Merv 11 ...

For others, here is what they carry. Sometimes some companies stop carrying them and you need to search around a bit. Im really happy with these. https://filterbuy.com/brand/honeywell-filters/honeywell-return-grille-filters/

Anyway, for what its worth, this is one of the best questions I have seen in a long time and keep in mind the above filters are not "Honeywell" brand, they are Honeywell Compatible. I prefer they are not Honeywell which are expensive and not as nicely made as far as I think.

BTW the 1 inch filter link you posted isnt bad at all for I inch filters at least from what I can tell from a photo compared to retail stores. I do wonder if the size fits sung in the return grill, 19.5 would seem a bit on the loose side... have no idea/

Last edited:
Our home used to use 2- 20x20x1 and 2- 14x14x1

I replaced them all with and only use 20x20x5 and 14x14x5 return grill filters. AKA 20x20x4 and 14x14x4
If you read all the responses above the 5 inch thick filters (actually 4.5 inch) I use cover all the bases! No restriction, great filtering capacity, dont have to be replaced as often. You can buy merv 8 or 11. Or one of each. Lower level of the house tends to pick up more dirt.

In hour home this means having to replace once a year, all four and honestly the ones on the second floor dont even look like they need it. I like the idea of higher flow through the vastly more surface area of a 4 inch deep media over less then half inch. Our main level has ceilings up to 16 feet high and the discharge registers are about maybe 10 feet high so I like to move alot of air downwards.

They aren't that common, most people (consumers) do not know they exist or even aware of the benefits. Once you start buying them and knowing how to search for them online it becomes second nature. Those expensive cheap thin filters you buy in the stores are huge money makers for the stores, I cant believe the price that some pay.

Im brand loyal to no company, I buy mostly price and at the same time I have learned which companies offer nicely made much better then Honeywell products, some made here in the USA, Honeywell is also ok, its just a filter.
I like Merv 8 or 11... IN the 14x14 I use mostly 11 but sometimes 8. It really depends more on price, doesnt matter, they are all good. But normally at least 2 of the four filters we use are Merv 11 and if they were 8 I wouldn't lose any sleep at all over it.

This is what I am using right now for the 20x20x5 ... I am happy with this company enough that I saved the site. Quality is top notch and price is great. But there are others, you just have to make sure you search 20x20x5 (or4) RETURN GRILL FILTERS.
Click here = 20x20x5 Return Grill Filter (keep in mind the price you see is for TWO filters, which is a great price for the quality) For the price I go with Merv 11 ...

For others, here is what they carry. Sometimes some companies stop carrying them and you need to search around a bit. Im really happy with these. https://filterbuy.com/brand/honeywell-filters/honeywell-return-grille-filters/

Anyway, for what its worth, this is one of the best questions I have seen in a long time and keep in mind the above filters are not "Honeywell" brand, they are Honeywell Compatible. I prefer they are not Honeywell which are expensive and not as nicely made as far as I think.

BTW the 1 inch filter link you posted isnt bad at all for I inch filters at least from what I can tell from a photo compared to retail stores. I do wonder if the size fits sung in the return grill, 19.5 would seem a bit on the loose side... have no idea/
I never knew those existed to fit in a regular return. I have only seen those that fit fight before the coil.
I may look into one of these for my next purchase.

The main reason I use the green ones is the airflow is unmatched by any of the other types of filters, but this may match the green ones while filtering much better.
Cost is a lot higher than I like (I get 4 green ones for <$10, and that will last me 6 months or so), but will see how well they work.

Yeah, everyone’s circumstances are different. I know you already know based on your post but you did remind me that I should point out to others that these filters I mentioned are for the return grill where the filter is under the grill and not in the ductwork before a furnace or condenser unit. It’s important for others to remember when they order them to order return grill filters because there are duck filters (like you mentioned)without the flange made to be inserted inside the duck for that other type of system.
I like the return grill set up because it filters the air before it enters the intake ducts helping to keep them clean. Plus with the minimum 8 to 11 Merv besides helping to keep the ducks clean it keeps the dust down in the house.

Well, I bought some from the site @alarmguy.
Spent more on 2 filters ($62 with tax) for 1 year than I normally spend in 3 years (two 4 packs a year, Will post up at some point how they do.
I am going to start with the MERV 8 and see how well it flows. If it is good and keeps the dust down (we have a dog and dust issues), I may jump up to the MERV 11 next year.

When I moved into our house, the previous owners had an electrostatic filter on it, and it did filter well, but was very restrictive, and a pain in the rear to get clean. Still sitting up in our attic somewhere.

20x20x1

Thanks in advance!
Why are filters different between CA and TX?

Well, I bought some from the site @alarmguy.
Spent more on 2 filters ($62 with tax) for 1 year than I normally spend in 3 years (two 4 packs a year, Will post up at some point how they do.
I am going to start with the MERV 8 and see how well it flows. If it is good and keeps the dust down (we have a dog and dust issues), I may jump up to the MERV 11 next year.

When I moved into our house, the previous owners had an electrostatic filter on it, and it did filter well, but was very restrictive, and a pain in the rear to get clean. Still sitting up in our attic somewhere.
Will be interested to see what you think.
Electrostatic filters always interested me. Never had one at this point in my life never will, pricey too. thought I remember hearing about cleaning it being a pain, that was many, many years ago, havent thought of it since.

Back