Stuck oil filter...

Had to be installed either by a guerilla or a stealership flunkie with an air impact. I got on it with a cap type wrench and it laughed at me. Got my curiosity, so I slapped a torque wrench on it an it went "click" with 50 ft. lbs torque. This intimidated me, figured if I went much higher, I'm going to twist, buckle and collapse the can, I'm in for a fight....
One of BITOG's greatest assets, Trav; has previously mentioned the Talon filter removal tool, https://bogertaviation.com/search?type=product&q=talon+oil+filter+tool so I ordered one and while I'm waiting 3-4 days for the Fedex or UPS guy, I'm searching Youtube for "stuck oil filter" and found a few good videos. Few days later with my talon sitting on the workbench, I'm ready to do battle, but now I'm in the mood to play. I have very little faith in a sheet metal screw, but what about 4 to 6 of them? I started with a paper template, used a good center punch (drilling on a sloped surface and NOT at 90 degrees), a 1/4" drill bit (pilot holes thru the cap wrench) and #10 Tek screws with a 5/16" hex head. Due to restricted access (under the vehicle) I couldn't get a screw in the top hole but it still worked. Ended up needing a 1/2" breaker bar, but I feel much better this a.m. Hope this may help someone else, think outside the box....
IMG_0056 Stuck Filter off.JPG

Yep they go on easy and those additional twists are so easy. We had a lube tech that would tighten oil filters too tight. We made sure he had to remove the filters he had put on even when another tech drew a job previously done by that tech. After being called on to remove his filters he began to get the message….

Yep they go on easy and those additional twists are so easy. We had a lube tech that would tighten oil filters too tight. We made sure he had to remove the filters he had put on even when another tech drew a job previously done by that tech. After being called on to remove his filters he began to get the message….
I'm now questioning myself. After this fight, which may very well have been caused by the last guy who did this DIDN'T lube the gasket, I DID oil the gasket, and, normally, I put an orientation mark on the bottom of the filter so when the gasket makes contact I can "eyeball" another 1/2 to 2/3 turn. This one went sooo easy that after gasket contact, I got another full turn using nothing but a clean hand on a dry filter. Since I WILL be the next bloke to remove the filter I installed, I'll see if I've gotten my own message...

I don't just hand tighten the filter, I hand tighten it with one hand as tight as I possibly have the strength for.
Then at the next OCI, I use the cup style filter remover to get it off and it removes easily. However, I can never remove the filter by hand no matter how much protein I've eaten. 😅

I go around 8 to 10 ft-lb on oil filters with an in-lb torque wrench, depending on vehicle and filter size. On the RAM 1500 I go 8 ft-lb because that seems tight enough. I don't want it too tight, neither do I want a loose oil filter.

I hand tighten as tight as a 70 year old guy can get it. Always lube the gasket the proper way using index finger not pinky
I lube it with oil drain pan no oily fingers involved. its the enclosed style so the top has just the used oil on it not crud one dab and twist ...good to go.

I know a guy who would drive a screwdriver into the filter and twist it off. But then again, that’s the same guy that stepped on a lawn rake with the teeth facing up while working in the yard barefoot so I guess that’s a bad idea. A real character.
Good luck with it.

Honda overtightens from the factory.
The Toyletta cannister(?) filters seal on the o-ring, but apparantly they have to be screwed on pretty good just to make sure. I left a composite one on a little Corolla because I was afraid I would break it. I asked the owner to take it to a shop who could deal with it if it broke.

Back