Stuck oil filter - im lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I am not looking at it from the top. I am looking at it from the side. Even if I was looking at it from the top, counter-clockwise should still be the same direction. Turning it left.

I guess to clear things up, if you look at the picture say I am starting at the middle of the can. I turn it where if you were to put a white dot on the center, the quarter turns should be as followed:

1/4 turn = -> 90*
+1/4 turn = 180* (opposite side)
+1/4 turn = +1/4 turn = 360*

Sorry if that is horribly worded but I am pretty sure that is "lefty-loosey" unless I am just backwards today.

OK, I'm with Bronco79 in not being convinced that you are not turning it the wrong way.

You say counter-clockwise. You need to be turning it clockwise as viewed from the top.

If ->90* means the dot would move to the right side of the can as viewed straight on, that is wrong. You need the dot to move to the left side as viewed straight on. With the wrench handle facing straight back toward you, you need to move it to your left.

The picture of the dents shows the can dented on the right, as if something is pushing into the can on the right, indicating the wrong direction. I would expect the can to collapse toward the left if being turned the right direction to remove the filter.

If that's what you are doing, "never mind". If you are turning it the wrong way, we all get to laugh because we've all done it at least once.
grin.gif

Ed

I will certainly give it a shot

JeepWJ19, I think Edhackett (great to see the legend checking in
thumbsup2.gif
) might be on to something. At one point, it looks like you were turning that filter to the right (judging by the smooshing of the can). An occasional tug to the right may help unstick it, but it needs to spin to the left to come off.

I would tap the filter all around (gently) for a couple minutes with a small hammer or mallet. In addition to a gorilla putting it on at the factory the gasket might be stuck on the mating surface and a lot of mini-shocks may break it free. Obviously be careful not to hit too hard or hit the wrong things.

In my 30+ years of changing my own oil, I have never failed to remove a filter ... many by hand. My favorite wrenches are the cap-style wrenched but the access to this filter is very good and many types should work well.

The screwdriver-through-the side method can work ... but some cans are so thin that it usually just makes a mess and rips the can in two. Then you are left with a lot of jagged metal. At that point I have seen people use vice-grips to grab the rim and tug in a circular motion until the can comes free ... often after you have torn countless of small bits off the remaining can. Tedious and frustrating

I like the screwdriver-as-a-chisel method. Lots of gentle taps should get it moving. Just be sure to make a few taps straight-on to make a purchase, then change your angle a bit ... but not too much ... to get the filter to turn.

I'd love to take a whack at that filter. I'm 99.9999% sure I'd get it off in a few minutes.
grin2.gif

I've used a pipe wrench on a filter once. First and last time I ever needed something that hefty. Can looked a bit ugly after, but it didn't tear.

Op, I guarantee as in 100 percent guarantee that filter will be removed in seconds with a Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench. Buy that wrench NOW and be done with it. Trust me on this... Its the most powerful wrench on the market and puts strap wrenches and that three prong wrench above to shame. Its also impossible to use backwards so no worry about if going the right or wrong way.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Fi...VC1VSAD59YAAAY8

This one is the same design but has teeth and should be an absolute monster of a stuck filter remover.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BS5B3ZQ?psc=1#customerReviews

This might not work because it might not get past the seal, but a little penetrating oil like Kroil sprayed down in there on the gasket and sitting overnight might be at least something to try. You never know.

Biggest issue IMO is filter access on these particular Kohler Courage engines. I've had to crush the filters pretty badly to remove them, but have never had to tear one apart.

If the filter has flutes on the end, your best bet is a cap wrench that you use a ratchet. Oil filters don't break loose immediately like bolts do, so you have to put a good amount of force and hold it for 10 seconds or so and it will work loose. Filters are pretty tight cause they tend to rattle loose on mowers. Had the same problem with my mower. Found the filter loose after a couple hours, so I just went ahead and tightened it real good like it was from the factory.

Like said, because of the position of the oil filter on these Kohler Courage singels, the screwdriver stab would be tough. Same with many of the O/F wrench recommendations. There's just no room around the filter on these applications, with these engiens. I've dealt with a few of these and was able to get it with a big pair of channel locks. Yes, you are going to crush the filter a bit, but it will go.

I've had some factory installed filters frustrate the heck out of me in over 30yrs of messing with this stuff, but never had one defeat me at this point anyway.

Sorry ive been busy. Will try again friday.

When i first tried I tried to spin it in the correct direction. Nothing happened so I tried the other way. Since then it has been that other way (the way I described). But as the users pointed out I might be trying to spin it the wrong way. I go to my jeep and look at my 4.0's horizontal-mounted oil filter. I realized that my first attempt on the lawn mower is the actual correct way - urggghhh.

I will try again friday. I will buy that Lisle 6300 oil filter wrench. If that doesnt work then Im gonna try the screwdriver trick. I found two screwdrivers that have just enough length to pierce the can and go completely through without hitting the block. Hopefully it will give me leverage to take it off. If bot im gonna have to cut it and then try to get a screwdriver in the holes and pound it with a hammer?

Thanks

JeepW- Too bad you're not near by. Pretty sure I'd have that filter removed for you in no time. Once you get this one, you'll get them all.

Originally Posted By: JTK
JeepW- Too bad you're not near by. Pretty sure I'd have that filter removed for you in no time. Once you get this one, you'll get them all.

Haha! Oh how I WISH TO BE IN BUFFALO. That is my city haha.

Yah I've acquired a few different filter wrenches over the decades. I have had good success with smearing the filter seal a cap full of fresh oil and turning it snug. They always seem to be tighter than that coming off. the best filter tool is a gloved hand. But a big ol' screw driver and a hammer will do the job if need be. Once it didn't and I resorted to a chisel. You can use the BOSD as a drift on the base to start it off. Loosen it just enough.

Update:
Sorry college has eaten up my time. So there is no oil filter left. Just the top of the can that is still stuck. I tried taking a screwdriver and wedging it in one of the holes and hammering it with a hammer. No go.

So I am going to shop for some bigger channel locks. If the channel locks don't work then I am going to try this "special" oil filter removal tool by Bogert Aviation -> Talon Special Oil Filter Removal Tool ------------- so apparently this is made to fit in those small holes. If need be I might have to drill out the holes to be a little bigger on the can - no biggie. Then not even playing around just going to get my breaker bar and attach it and give it a good nudge off.

If all else fails, I have a dremmel and I am just going to have to be patient and section off tiny chunks of the filter until I can break the bond of the gasket. Then theoretically it should not require much force to unscrew what's left of that base plate.

If all that fails, it looks like the mounting plate is all one mold to the top of the engine. It looks like if I can take off the fan on top of it, it should just be a matter of unbolting that whole casing that sits on top and just get a new one. Don't really feel like doing that though - don't even know where to look for those or what they're called. Thanks

Seems tough. So who put this filter on? Factory or dealer I suspect??

Just another reason to do your own changes.

That tool looks neat ... but is pricey.

Or you can thread 2 or more bolts into those holes and use a small pry-bar to unscrew the plate. Just don't go too deep with the bolts.

If you want to use some sort of pliers, go with vice-grips rather than Channel Locks. Locking tightly on the rim makes the tugging easier.

That's the problem with piercing the can ... the walls are usually thin and tear easily. The good news is that the holes in the plate open up a handful of new options.

Darn dude you really screwed that thing up. Good luck getting the remnants off.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you never went and bought the Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench. I have never seen that wrench fail, and it has removed plenty of stubborn ones.

41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

Went to harbor freight, bought the oil filter vice grips. They seemed cheap, and the price suggested so but I got a death grip on the filter and it came off. I didnt think they were gonna work with only the base plate left but they were absolutely perfect. Great tool.

Now that I got that superman-tightened filter off I can rest at ease. Now to wait painfully as that molasses SAE-30 weight slowly drains zzzZzzZZZZzzz

Thanks everyone, very grateful

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you never went and bought the Lisle 63600 oil filter wrench. I have never seen that wrench fail, and it has removed plenty of stubborn ones.

41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

Thanks for the pic and info bubbatime. I'm going to buy one, just to have it in my tool arsenal.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

41gd0o9Ph8L._SY355_.jpg

Thanks for the pic and info bubbatime. I'm going to buy one, just to have it in my tool arsenal.

Yes. x2 I found the exact Lisle one for sale at a local Advanced Autoparts store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back