OG XG9100 C/P

Came off 2005 Duramax, around 8k miles on it. The holes in the valve are from me so the filter could drain. The end cap having a dent in the third picture is also from me crushing the can slightly with a filter wrench. I wouldn't feel bad using this filter for two oil changes for a total of 15k miles.

IMG_20231223_190315.jpg
IMG_20231223_190335.jpg
IMG_20231223_190353.jpg
IMG_20231223_190426.jpg

Yeah it would be great if they were still produced or available. Kinda like if a frog had wings…

Sounds like the new endurance or titanium are what the original Ultras were, so technically they are still available, just at a higher price point.

It's the common tactic all businesses use to raise prices without massive backlash from the general buyer audience. Take the "best thing", make something "even better" that is actually the old "best thing" rebranded, raise the price on the "even better", then cheapen up the old one. Allows the company to keep manufacturing cost the same for something they've always offered, but raise the sale price (and increase profit) while also disguising this from the general buyer.

This is why communities like BITOG and users C/P-ing their filters are such a valuable resource. It cuts through corporate games and gets right to the point, delivering the bottom line to consumers.

Anyway, preaching to the choir, I'll put this box of soaps away now...

Sounds like the new endurance or titanium are what the original Ultras were, so technically they are still available, just at a higher price point.

It's the common tactic all businesses use to raise prices without massive backlash from the general buyer audience. Take the "best thing", make something "even better" that is actually the old "best thing" rebranded, raise the price on the "even better", then cheapen up the old one. Allows the company to keep manufacturing cost the same for something they've always offered, but raise the sale price (and increase profit) while also disguising this from the general buyer.

This is why communities like BITOG and users C/P-ing their filters are such a valuable resource. It cuts through corporate games and gets right to the point, delivering the bottom line to consumers.

Anyway, preaching to the choir, I'll put this box of soaps away now...
The Endurance has a different media than the Ultra had. Also, it seems as though they have limited availability for that line of filters at WM too. I have two application vehicles where there is no Endurance available as an example. I get what you're saying though.

Nice filter photos, what oil and filter went back on and in?
I have a couple older XG9100's left to use. I bought half a dozen a few years ago and only use 1 or 2 filters a year. I'm due for another change soon so I'll post another 9100 c/p when I get to that, which will likely be the older wire backed ones again. As for oil, T6 5w-40.

Back