Stuck differential drain bolt

I know when I’m beat! I’m taking it to an independent shop tomorrow. They’re being incredibly reasonable with helping me out. I bet it’ll come right out with an impact, but if not they’ll have more tools at their disposal than I do to get it done. As I’ve said, I used heat, PB Blaster, and a very long breaker bar with the correct 13mm socket to no avail. I’ve got replacement plugs already so once it’s out we should be good to go. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice.

Either way I’ll post an update tomorrow to let you know how it went. 😄

Last edited:
If the dealer did this, let them "undo" it.

By cover, people mean a differential cover, as opposed to a single piece housing. You have a cover. Worst case, it can be unbolted and replaced, with new plugs.

If it were mine, and out of warranty, and I wanted to fix it myself, then I would buy a new 13m drive and two new plugs. Heat, lots of heat, on the cover to soften up whatever gunk is on those threads, then hit it with an impact.

Always do the fill plug first. If that won't come out, you can't do the job at all. Stop there. At least there is some fluid in the differential. If you loosen the drain plug, and drain the fluid, then find out that you can't get the fill plug out, you're up a creek. You have an empty differential and a sidelined vehicle.

But all that is future advice, I would let the shop that did this fix their crap work first.
I agree with this.

Looking at the pics again, I'm really suspicious that whoever worked on it last, cross threaded it. Then used JB quick weld and screwed it in so it would not leak.

At the 10:00 position off to the side of the bolt, is what looks like JB weld/epoxy, it lines up with the goop around the bolt.

Anerobic sealant won't harden out in the open on a flat surface like that.

If you get the bolt out, you will still probably need a new cover.

I agree with this.

Looking at the pics again, I'm really suspicious that whoever worked on it last, cross threaded it. Then used JB quick weld and screwed it in so it would not leak.

At the 10:00 position off to the side of the bolt, is what looks like JB weld/epoxy, it lines up with the goop around the bolt.

Anerobic sealant won't harden out in the open on a flat surface like that.

If you get the bolt out, you will still probably need a new cover.
I noticed that dried stuff too. There was a bit of it around the fill bolt as well, but I was able to loosen that one. I assumed some kind of threadlock.. Hoping the drain plug isn't cross-threaded, but I'll be finding out tomorrow.

I would first, call the Subaru service manager and articulate your problem, nicely. State that the tech "accidently" over tightened the plug, and you can't get it out without stripping the plug. Tell him your purchased extra plugs for this reason, but you can't get it to budge without a breaker bar.

You have to figure out how much your time is worth to you. If you've spent more than 6 hours on this, then you should take it to the dealer, and let them service it.. And NOT overtighten the **** plug!!

They should be very willing to help you out.. If the service isn't that bad, I'd just have them do it.

I know when I’m beat! I’m taking it to an independent shop tomorrow. They’re being incredibly reasonable with helping me out. I bet it’ll come right out with an impact, but if not they’ll have more tools at their disposal than I do to get it done. As I’ve said, I used heat, PB Blaster, and a very long breaker bar with the correct 13mm socket to no avail. I’ve got replacement plugs already so once it’s out we should be good to go. I appreciate everyone’s input and advice.

Either way I’ll post an update tomorrow to let you know how it went. 😄
Good luck.....
What a hassle

Annnnd I just read that you live across the country from the dealership that serviced it.

Just take it to your favorite mechanic and let them do it. They should be able to get it out. Again, time spent vs. money for service.

Why not just take the whole cover off, and replace the cover and plugs? Can't be that expensive, certainly cheaper than a shop rate to fix it.
My guess is the cover would be $160 from the dealer, just a feeling. I replaced a diff cover on an F-150, and Ford charged me $90 for the cover. No junkyards here that sell parts like that, even a few an hour away had none of those Ford axles in stock. One in PA wanted $30 for the cover, and 85$ for shipping....

Honestly, if it was me, I'd buy a good vacuum oil change pump, and suck it all out (oil warm). Then just refill it. If you're anal (like me), you can do a few flushes for piece of mind.

Why not just take the whole cover off, and replace the cover and plugs? Can't be that expensive, certainly cheaper than a shop rate to fix it.
This past week I’ve done a rather big self-service on it to include: brake flush/bleed, coolant flush/refill, thermostat replaced, oil/filter change, replaced plugs & wires, ATF fluid drain & refill, and front diff fluid change. I’ve already got quite a savings in by doing so much myself; however, I’ve now spent too much time on this last thing and it’s worth it to me to take it in.

In regards to just removing the cover that task is not quite as simple as it sounds on this vehicle. Additionally from a parts standpoint the cover and gasket are about $120. The local shop I’m working with tomorrow isn’t charging anything near that to try and remove the rear diff plug. If it turns out we have damage to the threads or end up damaging the plate we’ll cross that bridge. Best case I’m out the door with just a half hour labor on the bill (I have replacement plugs and fluid). Worst case I’m deciding if I want them to replace the plate. Considering I got the front diff drain plug off and the rear diff fill plug off myself I’m hopeful a quick whack of an impact will break loose this rear diff drain plug.

Last edited:
Honestly, if it was me, I'd buy a good vacuum oil change pump, and suck it all out (oil warm). Then just refill it. If you're anal (like me), you can do a few flushes for piece of mind.
Haha! This was actually my first inclination.

Annnnd I just read that you live across the country from the dealership that serviced it.

Just take it to your favorite mechanic and let them do it. They should be able to get it out. Again, time spent vs. money for service.
That’s the plan! 👍🏻

Yes it definitely looks like some type of JB weld or sealer on the plug. If heat and the impact wrench don't work I would remove the cover and see if you can get it loose. If not buy a new cover and call it good.

UPDATE

I took it to a local shop this morning and they got it out! With the car on a lift it took a very long breaker bar, but no thread damage and the new plugs are in and torqued correctly. The tech said he thinks the goop was likely some tamper seal and the plugs were way overtorqued. Anyway, woohoo!

Attachments

• F59D4417-7E76-4F53-8FA5-5FC05D896DFC.jpeg
    F59D4417-7E76-4F53-8FA5-5FC05D896DFC.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 69
UPDATE

I took it to a local shop this morning and they got it out! With the car on a lift it took a very long breaker bar, but no thread damage and the new plugs are in and torqued correctly. The tech said he thinks the goop was likely some tamper seal and the plugs were way overtorqued. Anyway, woohoo!

How much did they charge you? My guess is $215

Back