stuck bolt problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
The same thing happened to me on a 4.3 Chevy engine. It had something like tiny #8 screws. I took the distributor out and put it in a drill press vise. Important: I filed or ground the broken off screw end flat so I could get a center punch mark right in the middle.

I started out with the smallest drill in my cabinet and drilled using a drill press at a high speed. (It always walks to one side anyway.) I kept upsizing the bits ever so slightly until the hole hit the threads on one side. If I'm lucky, I can then get the rest of the broken screw out with pliers and preserve enough of the female threads to hold the new screw.

On the distributor I did, one of the drilled holes walked a bit too much. I did get the rest of the screw out, but I wound up re-tapping the hole up a size and using a little larger screw to hold the cap down. I think I had to drill out the hole in the cap a little to use a bigger screw, but it looked and worked OK.

DSCN4305.jpg

Been there, done that, held up since april '05.

Quote:

Been there, done that, held up since april '05.

Excellent!
laugh.gif
I considered small C-clamps - but wasn't sure I'd be able to ensure they wouldn't work loose. How did you do it?

jeff

I have had pretty good luck getting stuff like that undone by giving the end of the screw/bolt a hefty tap with a ballpeen and screwdriver before I tried to undo it. We managed to split a 30 year old engine case held together with phillips head screws (who's idea was that?!) without chewing a single one up by that method.

actually if you note the handle of the c-clamp has a bend in it, that gravity pulls down. It needs to be rotated up to clear something (dipstick tube?) before it can be unscrewed.

You can always put epoxy on the c-clamp tabs, loctite on the threads, etc.

How about another method?
Can you drill through the cap and into the distributor body [at an obtuse angle], and use a couple of additional small screws? [use a tap in the body, of course]
Looks don't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back