Garbage remanufactured parts... Venting

We have our problems in industrial parts too. There’s quite a bit of instrumentation in the mill that’s 40 years old and we have to rely on surplus to keep us running until we can plan an upgrade or repair places that don’t have decent quality control. A lot of the parts that do have new replacements can take 2 months to get here. And there’s also the “we have it, you need it, here’s the price, take it or leave it.” I just approved a requisition for a circuit board that is $23,000 .

I replaced the original timing chain on my 96 Saturn DOHC engine, not because it was worn, but the engine was out and at 275k km I thought it would be good preventative maintenance, so new guides tensioner and everything, all new from Coyes.

At 140 k km I was getting a rattle at start up, and low and behold the chain was stretched right out, the tensioner at its limit. This is after a steady diet of synthetic 5w30, M1-209 filters and oil changes no later than 7000 km.

"New" parts are mainly junk now, and I'm dreading having to do a brake job which is soon on the horizon.

I bought a remanufactured Hitachi starter from the dealership for a friends car on Thursday. The starter lasted for less than 20 starts before it shorted internally. I was hoping I'd get a better product purchasing through the dealership but this experience has certainly changed my attitude.
I am posting to update the information on my previous post. I returned the starter to the dealership and they ordered another for me and while the exchange process was much more detailed than what you got through at the average parts store, they didn't give me the least bit of hassle.

Other than being a bit more expensive ($20 over the O'Reilly product), I am thankful the warranty exchange went without a hassle.

3M also had the monopoly back when they were stamping plates. The Scotchbrite reflective material was applied to the plate material. Friends job after college was with 3M going from prison to prison selling and setting up assembly.
I noticed when my sister got her Texas plates there was a line item in the bill for the reflective plate. Honestly her registration looked like a hospital bill, nickels and dimes for everything.

Just following up... I just wanted to report that after fixing the distributor gear and setting the timing to 3 degrees over stock plus replacing the incorrect TFS module (had a grey one instead of black), I got 20% better fuel economy for the first fill up in this rig than I ever did before.

Back