New flywheel bolts

Changing the flywheel on my '19 Fiat 124 Spider. The service manual says that I can't reuse the fasteners, but can't find any. Was replacing due to excessive wear and heat damage. Thought I saw something that said anything with heat damage cannot be reused, tried looking on mopars site for the bolts, but haven't found any. Would anyone know where I could find new bolts? And also, I'm told that I should use loctite when putting the new bolts on.

Doesn't say anything about them being stretch bolts, but it tells me in big letters, to discard them and put new fasteners in.

Do you track the car? Wear and heat damage sounds like some abuse.
Use some red locktite and send it.

Last edited:
I don't track it, no. I got it used, and I'm suspecting the last person who owned it couldn't drive manual for squat. I'm having to fix it already.

Doesn't say anything about them being stretch bolts, but it tells me in big letters, to discard them and put new fasteners in.

Ford does that a ton too, the only reason they want you to toss them is that the new ones come with locking compound already on them. They don't trust people to use Loctite properly. That and it makes them money. Of course, this doesn't apply if they're TTY bolts.

Changing the flywheel on my '19 Fiat 124 Spider. The service manual says that I can't reuse the fasteners, but can't find any. Was replacing due to excessive wear and heat damage. Thought I saw something that said anything with heat damage cannot be reused, tried looking on mopars site for the bolts, but haven't found any. Would anyone know where I could find new bolts? And also, I'm told that I should use loctite when putting the new bolts on.
How come you can't get parts for a 5-year-old car from the dealer?

Chrysler has always said this-- at least on the 4.0. But I guarantee you 50% of the clutch jobs on YJs, TJs and XJs never get them and gravity does not cease to function.

TTY bolts can be reused if an "in-spec" measurement is provided.

In my experience, fasteners are shown as "one time use" in factory service manuals for two reasons:

1. They are TTY and trust that most "mechanics" will not check to see if they're in spec even if one is provided and,

2. They come with thread sealant pre-applied and don't want to risk a comeback because someone did not reapply it.

Looking at these bolts they're not that long-- I find it hard to believe they're a TTY because what would stretch?

A search by that part number brings up almost exclusively UK stores-- is there a chance that a different distributor (USA) gets different part numbers for some reason?

Do the specs call for a torque figure plus a number of degrees additional turn? If so they are stretch bolts. If not, probably ok to reuse. I'd use Loctite even if nobody tells you to.
This is a common misconception…a torque turn spec does NOT necessarily mean a fastener is TTY or permanently stretched when torqued.

Try these guys.

CBC72C20-A01E-4D36-BA16-B05584F7774A.jpg

Reactions: D60
Back