Worn flywheel and clutch?

I recently took out the trans in my 2019 Fiat 124 spider, and noticed this with the flywheel and clutch. I noticed the discoloration on the friction part of the flywheel, and the clutch plate looks super dirty, but I'm wondering if this is just normal, or it needs to be changed out. I also noticed some wobble in the flywheel. I could pull on the pieces that stick out and there will be some play, but not sure if it's normal. I can take a vid if someone wants it.

IMG_20240212_135806425.jpg

IMG_20240212_135841623.jpg

IMG_20240212_140028194.jpg

I’ve had flywheels machined and found that the milling machine and/or operator weren’t correct resulting in a comeback. If you know the machine shop and their work then that’s the only way I’d run a resurfaced flywheel. It can be money well spent to replace with new flywheel, pressure plate, disc, and throw out bearing.

It is a dual mass flywheel, a very small amount play is normal but that one has hot spots, the disc looks like it still has some life in it. If it is not grabbing, shifting normally and not making noise you can run that one for a while. Dirty as hades is normal. These dual mass units can be a problem and prone to early failure especially in turbo cars driven hard.
Was it making a rattling noise? You can get solid flywheels for these and use a regular clutch, the whole set is not much more than an OE flywheel. Just an example that fits your car..
https://clutchmasters.com/i-30508328-steel-flywheel.html

Check the flywheel.

$65 to grind the flywheel plus a new clutch kit in my Civic R and the clutch is like butter.

Flywheel resurfaced.jpg

I know it's a lot easier to pull the transmission on a RWD Fiat than FWD Honda, but I wouldn't put back the old clutch kit unless it had under 30,000 easy miles.

Wow on a 2019? Someone is hard on clutches. I'm going on 24 years on a clutch, and it will likely go for another 100k miles, unless a seal leaks.
But then a set of brakes also last me close to 70k miles.

Wow on a 2019? Someone is hard on clutches. I'm going on 24 years on a clutch, and it will likely go for another 100k miles, unless a seal leaks.
But then a set of brakes also last me close to 70k miles.
Maybe he drives it like the sports car that it is.. and not like an old lady ;) (ps not calling you that)

I'm pretty sure if I owned one the clutch wouldn't last as long as they did on the outback, forester(s) or ranger.

With clutch jobs I always recommend new parts vs resurfacing. I see resurfacing clutch discs like I do brake rotors - ain't worth the risk.
I learned this lesson from a mentor 50 plus years ago. This is especially good "insurance" from a repair practice point of view where you have to remove the engine to change out a clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel.....ala Corvair, MG / British Leyland makes, and or VW / Porsche air cooled variants.

Maybe he drives it like the sports car that it is.. and not like an old lady ;) (ps not calling you that)

I'm pretty sure if I owned one the clutch wouldn't last as long as they did on the outback, forester(s) or ranger.
My non old lady stuff is things like 35 mph curves at 80, but not as much of that now. I've always been easy on brakes and clutches as I don't like to change them. :ROFLMAO:

Compared to many competition clutches and flywheels, that still looks new. Consider a new disk and going on your way. I’d not resurface

I've had problems with vibration, majority of the time shifting can be very notchy, hard and a couple times I wasn't able to shift at all. It's not smooth by any definition. Appreciate it. Ordered a new wheel and clutch disc.

I bought my car used, they had a little over 20,000 miles on it. About a month after I got it I started having issues with it and this is what I saw. Looked inside the transmission and everything looked brand new. This is the only thing I saw wrong with it. Brakes for even needing to be changed then also. I'm not hard on clutches, so I'm suspecting that the last owner couldn't really drive manual for ****. According to the Carfax report, it did about 5,000 mi a year.

Back