Struggling with 2003 Camry update

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 complete control arms with ball joints and control arm bushings already installed are $105 Out The Door on Rock Auto. That includes delivery.

Please tell me again how buying separate bushings, then borrowing someone else's car to drive to a shop and have them press in new bushings then going back home and installing them is a better choice, or even cheaper?

Yes, you already installed a new ball joint. Well, call it a learning curve and keep it aside in case one of these new ones on these new control arms were to go bad in a few years down the road.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
wha'ts better, rubberized undercoating, or white lithium grease

Both. Be sure to spray on the grease first, then at least 10 but not more than 30 minutes later, the undercoating.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

Both. Be sure to spray on the grease first, then at least 10 but not more than 30 minutes later, the undercoating.

When you do that make sure you have raised the car high enough so that you can follow the undercoating with several slow passes from a heat gun(1500 watts MINIMUM)- it opens the pores in the metal and converts the grease and undercoating into an almost impenetrable protective coating.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

When you do that make sure you have raised the car high enough so that you can follow the undercoating with several slow passes from a heat gun(1500 watts MINIMUM)- it opens the pores in the metal and converts the grease and undercoating into an almost impenetrable protective coating.

Unbelievable - everyday there's a new twist to this never ending saga - all for a 13 year old seemingly on its last legs vehicle - rustproofing - yikes!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

quarterview.jpg

Are you feeling lucky?

That happened to me in my Honda. Don't waste your money on cheap replacement control arms, if you are lucky they are true, and the ball joints they use are cheap. Google brands you're looking at. Even Moog R line are cheap economy parts made in China. Buy good ones you can and have them pressed in. On lowers I've had great luck using an air chisel to knock old ones. I throw the new ones in the freezer the night before and they go right in with a few taps.

Why is everyone giving this guy the "third degree"??? Clearly he has a desire to be a DIY'er. He wants specific information which I respect. And has a "pit bull" type desire to accomplish auto repair.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Why is everyone giving this guy the "third degree"??? Clearly he has a desire to be a DIY'er. He wants specific information which I respect. And has a "pit bull" type desire to accomplish auto repair.

Hook, line and sinker. I have some great real estate for sale in Florida. Sometimes it gets a little damp but nothing to worry about. I'll give you a great deal.

that's why i don't want to buy new control arms on rockauto, you guyus perstered me to use oem, well if i use oem, that'd be way exepsnvie
i have speedperks coupons for 20 off from my loaner tools (yes they give you speedperks for those) so 40ish, it was like 47 or 49 minus 20 = 25-29 dollars per bushing, so 50-60ish for 2 bushings, then 60 in labor to press them in , 120 for two plus 60 in parts, 180 but i still have my oem control arm
one moog control arm at advance auto is like 99, if minus 20 it's still 79 and that's 158 dollars for 2, but it's not oem, and i guess it'd still be slightly cheaper, but mine are oem and there's nothing wrong with my control arm so why change them! speaking of that, besdies bushings, what are some other raesons why control arms need to be changed? do they go bad? what happen to them? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
6e9bbe451074cfd4ad79a534fe0800ff.jpg

hahahahahaha

I'm not going to read this whole thread, but I see where engineer20 posted 7 or 8 times in a row.

It's basically like he's talking to himself.

haha

that's why i don't want to buy new control arms on rockauto, you guyus perstered me to use oem, well if i use oem, that'd be way exepsnvie
i have speedperks coupons for 20 off from my loaner tools (yes they give you speedperks for those) so 40ish, it was like 47 or 49 minus 20 = 25-29 dollars per bushing, so 50-60ish for 2 bushings, then 60 in labor to press them in , 120 for two plus 60 in parts, 180 but i still have my oem control arm
one moog control arm at advance auto is like 99, if minus 20 it's still 79 and that's 158 dollars for 2, but it's not oem, and i guess it'd still be slightly cheaper, but mine are oem and there's nothing wrong with my control arm so why change them! speaking of that, besdies bushings, what are some other raesons why control arms need to be changed? do they go bad? what happen to them? Thanks.

Except when you press in a bushing it is no longer OEM. The quality difference is mainly in the bushings, not the metal part of the arm.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2003,camry,2.4l+l4,1434117,suspension,control+arm,10401

Is th8e ultra power one or the dorman control arm any good? the ultra power is 30ish with a ball joing and bushings!
no ball joint on the dorman but maybe the dorman is better quality

i foudn a shop that can press the bushings in for 25 each or 50 for both so I might as well replace both. or just get a control arm? 50 for 2 bushings on labor for pressing it in doesn't seem that bad at all.

Great, now you've added numbers to your ramblings. As if the words weren't bad enough
crazy2.gif

i foudn a shop that can press the bushings in for 25 each or 50 for both so I might as well replace both. or just get a control arm? 50 for 2 bushings on labor for pressing it in doesn't seem that bad at all.

Harbor freight's 12 ton press is often on sale for $100 and they have a 30 day return policy. Have at it!

Is th8e ultra power one or the dorman control arm any good? the ultra power is 30ish with a ball joing and bushings!
no ball joint on the dorman but maybe the dorman is better quality

No, Ultra power is not really well known, likely just Chinese generic stuff. Dorman's reputation is usually so so at best, junk at worst, if they are not identical to OEM.

Near OEM would be like Moog's Problem Solver, you are not going to get them cheap.

Mevotech control arms are $45 each on Rock Auto with bushings and ball joints. $15 for shipping makes it $105 out the door. They're pretty decent quality, my mechanic buddy uses Mevotech on all of his customer's cars with no issues at all. We put some on my brother's Jeep. Also have some Mevotech sway bar bushings on my Camry.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Hey Eng20, are you happy now? You have 3 folks sucked into your web who are sincerely trying to help you.
Oh not to worry, I'm not sucked in. Just trying to knock some sense into him every once in a while
06.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back