Structural adhesive failure in roof?

The roof on my 99 4Runner has a few cross braces that are structurally adhered to the roof panel and to the side pillars. There is an interior noise that I have had for some time now and is getting worse. I popped some of the plastic paneling off and confirmed it is coming from one of these joints.

- Is it possible for the adhesive to fail? The vehicle is pretty old, and has been offroad a decent amount so there have been a lot of flexural stresses.
- Can I simply squirt some fresh adhesive in there to solve the problem?
- What adhesive should I use?

Thanks

Is it a structure-structure join or structure-sheetmetal join? If it’s a structural bond I’d be like, “no.” If it’s just to tack sheet metal down, sure, why not? I don’t see any option here being suitable for structural loads.

This depends on what level of repair you want. To fix it correctly the support that is loose would need removing, cleaning the old adhesive off and then refitting. Or if you want the cheep and easy way fill the gap where it’s loose with some tiger seal and hope the noise stops.

Subaru is having this problem right now. How would you like your new car to be torn apart at the dealer and the tech to use a caulking gun to fix the problem? Many Outback owners are having this problem with their roof.

77DCCA89-105C-436D-A4D8-BE27ED26DAB6.jpeg

19C81579-C5AC-4703-BB30-3A3AB086F78A.jpeg

Welp, I found the issue.

The ribs in the back are all still adhered to the roof nicely. The one in front is not.

qtHvC24.jpg

xNcUAis.jpg

I used some Tiger Seal on the advice of the forum

tsCubkL.jpg

A8aqA22.jpg

It's good and stuck now! Took off the crummy felt and added some real sound deadening too.

tb5lyo3.jpg

Back