Stripped oil pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I try to use an oversize bolt are those in increments of 1/8 inch? It looked like I needed to go to a 5/8 from possibly a 1/2

Originally Posted by dosmom
If I try to use an oversize bolt are those in increments of 1/8 inch? It looked like I needed to go to a 5/8 from possibly a 1/2

Uhh, no

The threads you have are 14mm. You don't really want to go up to the next size, 16mm, it's not a common size at all. Helicoil is the best option but like I said I would put a Fumoto on it with some blue loctite, and move on with life.

Hello, I have a 2008 Honda odyssey and the threads inside the oil pan have been stripped. However, only the first four or five threads are stripped and there are still three or four good threads in the back, see picture. I bought a longer drain plug and it seem to catch the back threads and I was able to tighten it snug. Is this an acceptable fix?

Looks like you've got 4-5 good threads left, so:

Originally Posted by KevGuy
Fix

And done.

I just started changing my oil again as we have had to get a couple of cars for the kids so trying to save some dollars, especially with synthetic oil. Last time it was changed by my mechanic. The new longer bolt I put on seems nice and snug so it should be catching the back threads

If you're in a pinch, an M14 OS drain plug, and then either time sert the pan or replace it when you can.

No need for a Time-Cert. Just drill it out and tap it to the next largest common size. No need to keep it Metric, either. If an SAE tap is available or cheaper, just use that.

I just started changing my oil again as we have had to get a couple of cars for the kids so trying to save some dollars, especially with synthetic oil. Last time it was changed by my mechanic. The new longer bolt I put on seems nice and snug so it should be catching the back threads

You're prolly fine but I wouldn't sleep well until a new pans on there but that's just me and I've put on many a pan over the years so it's not a big deal. I think once you invest the money into "fixes" you coulda just bought a new pan w/gasket (cheap aftermarkets for your '08 start at what - $45?? or search the local junkyards for an OE)... Whatever route you take I hope it works out for ya ..ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

Uhh, no

The threads you have are 14mm. You don't really want to go up to the next size, 16mm, it's not a common size at all. Helicoil is the best option but like I said I would put a Fumoto on it with some blue loctite, and move on with life.

+1 for Jimmy - put a Fumoto drain plug in there. On Amazon most of the Fumoto valves are less than $30.

Fumoto options for 2008 Odyssey http://fumotousa.com/results.php?ma...keid=HONDA&modelid=Odyssey++3.5L++V6

All these high dollar fixes are not needed. There is plenty of material around the hole to simply re-tap it and get a new drain plug. Or buy a magnetic self tapping drain plug for a few bucks. This is not that serious of a repair guys. Heck the longer bolt he is using now will probably work forever as well.

The new bolt was the same length as the drain hole so nothing should be sticking out in the pan, worse case maybe a half a thread

It was mentioned a couple times to just tap it and get a new drain plug vs spending a lot of dollars. What is best option or tool to just retap it?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Here's my DIY using time sert:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...6559/diy-time-sert-oil-pan-thread-repair

Does the insert stick out of the pan 1/2" or so as shown in your last photo or is it threaded in flush?

No, it's threaded flush. The one cutter makes a slight groove around the outer diameter of the hole, and when the insert is installed, it bottoms out there and is flush.

The new bolt was the same length as the drain hole so nothing should be sticking out in the pan, worse case maybe a half a thread

It was mentioned a couple times to just tap it and get a new drain plug vs spending a lot of dollars. What is best option or tool to just retap it?

A self tapping plug like a piggyback might do the trick for ya, rather than investing a lot of money into tools you're not likely to use again. The nice thing about a piggyback is you're not ever again pulling the plug body itself in/out, so once the piggybacks in there's no risk of stripping the newly tapped threads. They're not that expensive either, maybe $5 or $6 bucks. If you're not comfortable doing this a shop can re-tap it for you for (what shouldn't be) much.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back