Stripped oil pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 2008 Honda odyssey and the threads inside the oil pan have been stripped. However, only the first four or five threads are stripped and there are still three or four good threads in the back, see picture. I bought a longer drain plug and it seem to catch the back threads and I was able to tighten it snug. Is this an acceptable fix?

071AF0F6-92B7-445D-BF86-9496B926B954.jpeg

I'm not an oil expert, but I am a machinist. If you are able to fully engage the good threads and tighten the nut so it doesn't leak, it's probably fine (at least in the short term). If you are just grabbing one thread to tighten, get it fixed professionally ASAP.

You should still get it fixed or replace the pan.

Short term it will hold but every time it is removed and tightened there is the chance of the rest of the thread failing. Buy this, repair it properly on the car then sell the tool.
This is why a torque wrench is helpful when dealing with aluminum pans especially those on Honda vehicles.

Time Sert

Edit: I see they offer this one, it includes a tap guide which may be helpful if you don't do this sort of work often and have some guides.

For Oil Pans

Last edited:
New pan, but a time-sert kit will work as well.

Rockauto has aftermarket oil pans available for about $60, which is cheaper than the time-sert kit. Oil Pan replacement is not a terrible job on those engines once you remove the exhaust pipe.

Last edited:
It should be fine as long as you don't over tighten it in the future.
Might wrap the threads in some teflon tape to help seal it.
Teflon acts as a lubricant so be EZ on the torque applied.
Check for leaks.

If you can grab those 3 or 4 good threads as shown in the picture, you will be fine as long as you don't overtighten.

I repaired a similar Honda oil pan on a friend's Civic, the threads were stripped just the same. I ended up replacing the pan since that was less expensive than a TImesert kit.

Originally Posted by Donald
Is a time-sert the same as a Heli-coil

Similar in concept but not the same. The official Honda repair kit is a Timesert.

Originally Posted by Trav
Short term it will hold but every time it is removed and tightened there is the chance of the rest of the thread failing. Buy this, repair it properly on the car then sell the tool.
This is why a torque wrench is helpful when dealing with aluminum pans especially those on Honda vehicles.

Time Sert

Edit: I see they offer this one, it includes a tap guide which may be helpful if you don't do this sort of work often and have some guides.

For Oil Pans

In the comments of the part that you linked, Time Sert says not to use it for drain plug repair, instead use this product
Alternate tool link

Now, knowing that you are a professional mechanic, I'm sure you could make either part work, just pointing it out that the manufacturer suggests a different part than you originally linked to.

I'd get it good and dry with some brake cleaner and use a clean, dry bolt. If that didn't hold I'd tap it one size bigger. Make sure you keep it the same SAE or metric. Just don't put that one new bolt in one of the other holes or you'll have to do another one!

Read my post again and the edit. I use either one as I have a full set of guides for using taps which is the main difference between the two sets.

Originally Posted by heynow
If you can grab those 3 or 4 good threads as shown in the picture, you will be fine as long as you don't overtighten.

And also use a vacuum oil extractor from this point forward! Never touch the drain plug again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back