String trimmer line size preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious what line thickness you guys use for general purpose trimming (just normal lawns, no high weeds or anything crazy) and edging?

I've been trying different line sizes and so far I prefer the thinner lines. 0.065 uses a lot of line and requires lots of bump feeding, but cuts extremely efficiently. For me, 0.080 seems to be the sweet spot.

I have a fairly high powered trimmer (Echo SRM-266), but 0.095 and especially 0.110 introduces too much resistance and bogging down if you're not very careful to only trim with the very outside of the line. Sometimes I'll be trimming and the line will "grab" and pull the head toward the grass-- a lot of times if this happens it will stop the head right in its tracks. I've noticed no such behavior with 0.080 and thinner lines.

I found a role of 1.25 at a local building supply store. I have to trim the ends to get it to fit on my trimmer but it lasts a long time.

.95 in the Husky 325 and .130 in the Husky 535 . The Higher quality lines work much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back