Strike two for Ford

The hybrid Maverick is the only one that makes sense, and at MSRP. As soon as you move up to the Ecoboost or start adding on markups the Maverick quickly loses it's value.

Personally I'd do an XL hybrid with the 360 package and be happy under $25k.

The hybrid Maverick is the only one that makes sense, and at MSRP. As soon as you move up to the Ecoboost or start adding on markups the Maverick quickly loses it's value.

Ford has so many reservations on the Maverick model in general they are not going to hold prices. They would be foolish to. Expect price increases down the road.

A 1.5 3cyl. turbo would be fine in a Fiesta or maybe even in a Focus but certainly not in an SUV...I question Ford's decision making on this.

I agree. I had the 1.0L in the focus and that was barely enough - it was as fast as a fiesta. Add any more weight and the engine was just to woefully inadequate. When I saw they were putting the 1.0L in the ecosport and 1.5L in the heavy broncos.

F250 with Godzilla 7.3 engine could be the answer to your prayers
well of course. but it's also 13mpg uphill, 13mpg downhill. at least the old Powerstroke TD 7.3 was.
I'm also wondering how Ford managed to 'deactivate' anything on a 1.5L turbo triple ?

The new Maverick to me is a more proper successor to the old Ranger. The newer Colorados and the Ranger now have completely lost touch with what the S-10 and the old Ranger were.

I test drove the CX-50 with the 2.5 and I liked it. It’s a good looking machine inside and out. My only gripe is the side mirrors, their shaped weird and are placed farther back on the door. I test drove the 2.5 Preferred Plus trim. I would get just the Preferred trim because I don’t like moonroofs. I really liked the cloth seat fabric, it feels like it would hold up over time. They won’t start making the Preferred trim until late summer.

BCD102CC-11CC-4432-9D07-15ABE1022DC4.jpeg
CBD3766D-2312-4682-B1D5-B9BD97C38CA2.jpeg
09302A27-D3AB-41A1-A716-E9E1CDCEAA31.jpeg
65E3749C-0A82-49A3-8ADA-EC6ADADB5FD1.jpeg

Maybe the 2.0T maverick has economy tuning of the throttle response? was there a sport mode?
if I put my jeep in sport it feels like it has another 50hp because you dont have to press the pedal halfway to get a response.
I much prefer the 2.0T with 270hp/295tq over the 3.2 v6 with 271hp/248?tq (cherokee engine options)
Many vehicles when you use sport mode and also take of traction control will noticeably increase acceleration...

I guess expecting performance out of a 3cyl 1.5l is asking allot…should have tried out the Raptor!

Unfortunately they don’t make anything with that can haul like a diesel pickup, comfort of a Cadillac, and the gas mileage of a Toyota,

But yes get your point, your were expecting more…!

Agree to disagree. The average price for a new vehicle is $47k+. I've got a Mav ECO XLT with tow pkg and LUX pkg ordered that will get 30 mpg and can tow a small camper. The trucklet will be less than $29k plus state fees.
I DO think the hybrid is an exceptional value. A person could order an XL and put aftermarket CC on it and have very cheap and economical transportation.

I think the 2.5L hybrid is the more attractive Maverick, least you get the proven 2.5L, but then it's a hybrid that will have hybrid issues as it ages and I'm not sure about the eCVT.
The 2.5L is far from a “proven” engine. I had one in my 2013 C-Max and my mother had one in her 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Both had coil and injector issues by 80K. Nothing so major that I wouldn’t touch the engines again (because I’m a DIYer) but compared to the six modernish Subarus (2012+) that are in the family, none of them have had any engine issues and they all have well over 100K on them.

The new Maverick to me is a more proper successor to the old Ranger. The newer Colorados and the Ranger now have completely lost touch with what the S-10 and the old Ranger were.
They definitely aren't much cheaper than the full size versions. I rented a Ranger when I was on vacation and liked it, but I don't know that I would buy one.

They're more interested in selling Titanium Deluxe 500 Brougham 4WD F-250s, Finkle. With 96-month contracts.

Lots of stuff from Ford looks good. On paper.
Dealers are already slapping on the “bro” package on those(usually Fuel wheels, Nitto Terra Grapplers and a lift kit) and an $10-30K markup on top of those. All yours for a huge note(especially if you have shot credit).

That hybrid setup has no problem racking up hundreds of thousands of miles of NYC taxi service ...
The previous Ford system was Toyota-based. Not sure about the new system in the Escape, the F-150 Hybrid is closer to the mild hybrid system on a Mercedes or BMW where a electric motor replaces the torque converter.

The 2.5L is far from a “proven” engine. I had one in my 2013 C-Max and my mother had one in her 2010 Fusion Hybrid. Both had coil and injector issues by 80K. Nothing so major that I wouldn’t touch the engines again (because I’m a DIYer) but compared to the six modernish Subarus (2012+) that are in the family, none of them have had any engine issues and they all have well over 100K on them.

Correction:

1) Your 2013 C-Max never had the 2.5 Ford (Mazda derivative) engine option we are talking about. You had a completely different Ford 2.0L engine in that vehicle.

2) My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid had just under 210,000 miles on her when we traded it in. Although we had the early coil issue, you mentioned, it showed no signs of issues at 210,000. When you consider that fact that numerous NYC Ford Escape Hybrid taxis racked up 500-600 thousand miles on them - I’d say that is pretty “proven.” Bulletproof would be a better term for that 2.5L engine.

Update: I currently have that same engine in my 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat. Long term gas ⛽️ mileage is in the 46-48 range (70% city driving).

Correction:

1) Your 2013 C-Max never had the 2.5 Ford (Mazda derivative) engine option we are talking about. You had a completely different Ford 2.0L engine in that vehicle.

2) My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid had just under 210,000 miles on her when we traded it in. Although we had the early coil issue, you mentioned, it showed no signs of issues at 210,000. When you consider that fact that numerous NYC Ford Escape Hybrid taxis racked up 500-600 thousand miles on them - I’d say that is pretty “proven.” Bulletproof would be a better term for that 2.5L engine.

Update: I currently have that same engine in my 2022 Ford Maverick Lariat. Long term gas ⛽️ mileage is in the 46-48 range (70% city driving).
Yea, the Fusion and Escape until the OneFord refresh of 2013-2016 got the Mazda-based 2.5L I4 as an engine option and the Ford 3.0/3.5L V6 as the upgrade. Ford called the US-designed V6 and Mazda-designed 2.5L the Duratec series. The Fiesta/Focus/C-Max got the British/German designed Zetec engines. Ford no longer builds engines in the UK, that has been sold to JLR(and Ford Bridgend is no more, JLR and Volvo are sourcing engines from Tata/BMW and Geely, respectively).

Correction:

You are correct. My 2013 had the 2.0L.

Besides the coil issue, no other issues to report on my mom’s old 2.5L. My sister is now driving it.

Long story short, with any Ford, spark plug, coil, and injector issues can crop up earlier than expected. But switch out the POS FordMoCo parts when they go for some higher quality Bosch, NGK, or Denso parts and you’ll be happy for many more miles.

Oh and suspension stuff goes all the time on Fords for some reason. No model is immune but are very easy to DIY.

While I like subaru the 2013 outback.. in 125k and 6.5 years
brakes 3x
new rings, new shortblock, still burned over 1qt/1800 miles.
A/C went intermittent and died
All the control arm bushings etc looked rotted similar to 15+ years old.. hanging on by a thread.
new clutch.
bad passenger seat airbag sensor.. wouldnt stop dinging.. with no one in seat.
power mirror broke.

now my 2011 and 2015 foresters were relatively troublefree compared to that.
although the 2011 did spit out a starter bolt on the floor in the garage... right after we got back from 1000mile vacation.
and it used 1qt per 3k-4k miles
battery at 3rd winter 2.5years old.

The 2015 was better except it rode seasick over certain highway bumps..
Cant recall it needing much else besides a battery at 2 years.

Stock tires on all 3 were junk unless you like sliding all over in NE ohio winter conditions.. and sometimes just rain.

Still considering a 2022 outback with the 2.4T Have to have something with a little umph not going back to 6 second running start to pass.
mazda cx-50 seems nice but dealer by me has 3 cars with 37 on order by end of june.. 3 cars total.. they are mazda subaru dealer.

Last edited:
Back