Strategy for Using up my Stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been stalking the forum for a few months and have built a stash of around 180qts of oil.

I've been running castrol syntec 5w20 in my truck since new. I'm running 5w30 synpower in the yukon. I run 5k changes because they are easy to remember.

I've got enough stash for around 3-4 changes of synthetic per daily driver. My issue is that a friend of mine gave 6 cases of SM rated ecopower syn blend oil. I've got 2 cases each of 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30.

Should I use up the SM rated / older ecopower oil first or keep using the synthetic for a couple years and then start with the ecopower blend?

I know each should be adequate or 5k and that oil doesnt have a true shelf life but I want to be smart with my strategy.

Welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

I would use the good stuff first, then the old stuff later. I know there's a deep divide on the shelf life of oil, but my feeling is as long as it's sealed and kept in a decent place that has moderate temps, it will be fine for years if not decades. If you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long while, use the good stuff first and then the regular stuff later as the vehicle ages. Just my humble opinion.

I would alternate between the cheap stuff and the top brand stuff. This will allow a regular deeper clean by the Syntec & Synpower additives, but that is really just splitting hairs. Just my opinion, thats all.

I'd give all but a year's worth, or a year and a half's worth to Goodwill or St. Vincent de Paul. I'm of the belief that the oil can be kept almost indefinitely. But what if I am wrong? Is there any reason to keep that amount of car oil around?

Nobody needs to keep a lifetime supply of oil at his house. Cars won't work in bomb shelters.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Nobody needs to keep a lifetime supply of oil at his house.

Nobody NEEDS to have more than one firearm at home too right?

Having over 1500 qts in my personal stash, I would suggest you use the good stuff first. But, you will probably ask yourself what oil to use at each change. The longest part of me changing oil, is staring at all of it and thinking about what to use.

Is there any reason to keep that amount of car oil around?

Nobody needs to keep a lifetime supply of oil at his house. Cars won't work in bomb shelters.

If I bought, say, 180 QTS of Mobil 1 5W40 TDT for, say, 99 cents/quart, then having that quantity of oil stashed in my garage would represent a savings of roughly $1,200 over the shelf price at Walmart....

So, yeah, I kept that Mobil 1 around, and I am using it up...

And when I have used it up, then I'll start digging into the Pennzoil Ultra that I got for $2/Quart...

Then, perhaps the Castrol Syntec/Edge that was $2/Quart...

Any reason to keep all that oil around? Nah...not unless you like saving money by buying things at a discount...

Last edited:
That's actually what I originally was thinking. I was standing the garage looking at my stash and talked myself into using the ecopower blend first.

I also thought about alternating as well...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Is there any reason to keep that amount of car oil around?

If I bought, say, 180 QTS of Mobil 1 5W40 TDT for, say, 99 cents/quart, then having that quantity of oil stashed in my garage would represent a savings of roughly $1,200 over the shelf price at Walmart....

So, yeah, I kept that Mobil 1 around, and I am using it up...

And when I have used it up, then I'll start digging into the Pennzoil Ultra that I got for $2/Quart...

Then, perhaps the Castrol Syntec/Edge that was $2/Quart...

Any reason to keep all that oil around? Nah...not unless you like saving money by buying things at a discount...

Well, if you had a bunch of $6 per quart M-1 that you somehow acquired for 99 cents, your better move would probably be to donate the oil now and take it off your taxes at the $6.00 price, rather than keeping it around the garage for the next ten years and trying to use it all yourself.

Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Having over 1500 qts in my personal stash, I would suggest you use the good stuff first. But, you will probably ask yourself what oil to use at each change. The longest part of me changing oil, is staring at all of it and thinking about what to use.

Seriously?! That's a lot of oil.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Seriously?! That's a lot of oil.

Yeah. All collected for under $1/qt averaged. I have pics of it up in one of the stash threads.

1500 quarts of oil? Whew that is a lot! I like to keep my stash under 50qts and once I use it up I start looking for more deals or I contact my local Pennzoil distributor.

But each is his/her own. Ever think about selling some of your oil?

It's always for sale. All my friends and co-workers are always coming to me for oil/changes. Somehow I collect it faster than I can use it!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
At least there are more destructive vices in this world. But man that is still a lot of oil.

Unless there's a fire. Then this one is pretty destructive. lol Wonder how that homeowners insurance claim would go...

It's always for sale. All my friends and co-workers are always coming to me for oil/changes. Somehow I collect it faster than I can use it!

You should hit up buisnesses that have small fleets. Building contractors...delivery services...etc., and make a deal for a quantity.

Well, if you had a bunch of $6 per quart M-1 that you somehow acquired for 99 cents, your better move would probably be to donate the oil now and take it off your taxes at the $6.00 price, rather than keeping it around the garage for the next ten years and trying to use it all yourself.

In very rare circumstances can you deduct more than your cost basis as a tax deduction. Extreme couponers have tried this by getting hundreds of dollars in groceries for a few dollars and then trying to deduct the full value. The IRS doesn't allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back