Straight grade freezer test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took samples from the various straight weight motor oils in the garage and looked at them after 24 and 48 hours at 0F.

After 24 hours

Coastal 30 ND (SA)
rubbery solid, with visible streaks of wax

Napa 30 ND (SB)
lightest in color, barely pours

Chevron Supreme 30 (SL)
barely pours

Chevron Supreme 40 (SL)
barely pours, no different than the 30

After 48 hours none of them pour. The pour-point depressants must only delay the formation of wax crystals for so long. There was no visible wax in the samples (except for Coastal).

After an overnight thaw in the refrigerator compartment (40F) they all flowed surprisingly well (except the Coastal).

thanks jimbo thats a very cool experiment. so from that would you have any problem running a straight weight into an engine if you lived in Florida? maybe just summer? or all year? thanks again for doing this.

most good quality straight wts will have a dash of PPD (Other than a SA and SB) but the soak time WILL impact the PP of the oil the longer they are held static and cold they will continue to "harden" so cold and time work against you.
Also PPD will not make a straight 30 oil flow like a 5/30 no matter how much you add.
bruce

Didn't you mean 32F - as opposed to 0F???

I'm assuming your freezer doesn't go down to zero degrees.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

Most household freezers operate at around 8F to 12F.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
After an overnight thaw in the refrigerator compartment (40F) they all flowed surprisingly well...

For even more fun, try sucking some up through a straw.
grin.gif

You guys want to try another fun experiment? Put a glass jar of motor oil (no lid) in a microwave for any length of time. Watch it never get hot.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

Most household freezers operate at around 8F to 12F.

My 30-something cube stainless side-by-side GE Arctica controls the freezer to 0*F.

quote:

You guys want to try another fun experiment? Put a glass jar of motor oil (no lid) in a microwave for any length of time. Watch it never get hot.

Oh bummer. I was going to invent a microwave oil sump heater and retire rich and early. Bummer.
mad.gif

quote:

Quit buying those cheap microwaves, Goldenrod!

- Couple times a year, I use a microwave at work to heat up Mobilgear 460 gearoil in a 1 qt pyrex measuring cup.

This is ISO 460 gearoil, 460 cSt at 100F, and it pours into an electric motor gearcase alot faster when it's at 135F vs. 72F!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
smile.gif

There is something wrong with your microwave.

I could just imagine my wifes reaction if I brought in motor oil and made a move to put it in any kitchen or household appliance, be it a freezer, microwave, blender, measuring cup, etc.

twak.gif

high amounts of esters WILL heat oil very nicley in a micro wave a GPII I think will not heat up but esters and some dispersants will.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back