Straight answer on 0w-30 vs 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be some debate on here. My amsoil dealer tells me that the the 0w30 oil is perfectly fine to run in my 06 Eclipse v6 that calls for 5w20 or 10w30 100deg+ Some of you say that the 5w20 or 0w20 is still a better choice for the engine. I've been running 0w30 since I've owned it, and it only gets driven in the summers, and stored for the winters. So what is the truth?

What you were told by your Amsoil dealer is also stated on the company's website. I happen to agree, but that's neither here nor there. The best evidence, however, is in your garage where you park your '06 Eclipse, a car in which you've been "running 0w30 since [you've] owned it."

I'd make it a two part question.

As to the 20 vs 30 weight, it's not a very big deal. You'll get probably not noticeable but better mileage on the 20. On some engines it seems the 20 revs more freely, but many people also complain about increased noise and harshness. If it were my car, I would try both and see if it matters to you, or just stick with the 30 since you seem happy with it.

If it's only driven in the summer, it probably doesn't matter if you use 0-30, 5-30 or 10-30. In the Mobil1 universe, you would be trading HighTempHighShear performance for a lower pour-point by going from 10-30 to 0-30, but I haven't taken a look at AmsOil specs and I'm sure someone knowlegable about them will come along soon enough with a better recommendation than I can give.

I have owned the car since it was new. The factory oil was changed to amsoil shortly after owning it. It has about 25k on it now. I change the oil and the end of each season before I store it for the winter. The engine has an oil controlled "MIVEC" valves that adds the higher lift (or whatever) intake timing from a certain RPM up. Just want to make sure that everything operates like it ideally should. Also want to make sure that my engine is getting the best protection I can give it.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
Also want to make sure that my engine is getting the best protection I can give it.

Well, if you're using the Amsoil SSO, you're probably accomplishing this goal :)

I am currently using SSO, but I have an entire case of TSO that I wanted to use also. I'm sure what is different about the two. I know that the TSO has a better "four ball bearing wear" score than the new SSO though.

SSO is WAY better than the OLD TSO. You can use TSO, but man - it must be nearly four years old now.

I'm using SSO in our 2006 XW-20 Honda Oddy. Engine doesn't know it.

Yes you are correct, SSO came out in 2007. I was thinking 2005 for some reason. What year did you buy it in? Anyway, SSO is far superior to TSO. If you use the TSO, just limit the OCI.

It was the about the last case before they started shipping the SSO. I just changed the oil in the old ram and used 5qts of it, so I'm working on it =)

i would rather use the 0-30...amsoil is junk, dont use...just kidding, i would like to try it but it too expensive, a guy in town sells it for 7.95 a qt

Amsoil makes a great oil. I just don't understand why they push the SSO 0w-30 as much as they do. They push it even for engines that are clearly spec'd for 20wt oils only? Some Chrysler/Jeep products come to mind.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Amsoil makes a great oil. I just don't understand why they push the SSO 0w-30 as much as they do. They push it even for engines that are clearly spec'd for 20wt oils only? Some Chrysler/Jeep products cme to mind.

AD

That is what I was saying. My dealer said to use it in my situation. But again, mine manual says 5w20 for most applications, 10w30 for hotter environments. So I guess either it is a really good product, or they have invested quite a bit of money into their new 0w30 oil and need to make it profitable.

I think they push it as an extended drain oil for almost all applications. I wish they didn't do that though because I for one stick to what the mfg suggests. For me it is easier.

AD

and again, I will have to go grab a bottle out of the garage, but I'm pretty sure even the older TSO oil was labeled for 35k just like the new sso, where the 5w,10w-30 oils have 25k on them.

I ran 10w-40 in my 3.0 L HO mitsu V6 - got piston slap on 5w-30.
Tried M1 5w-30 trisyth in the day - car hated it, dont know why. Today, I'd run 1q 10w-40 and the balance 5w-30 EoM Clean 5000. I ran that engine like a weed wacker - get on the road and pull the trigger. YeeHA!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back