STP blue bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a friend ask me how much this would thicken a 5w 20 oil when added. I told him not to use it but i had no idea, probably to a 10w 30 but i really don't know. Any one know?

I'd email the company. I believe its Studebaker Testing Products!
grin.gif

STP is an American brand and trade name for the automotive additives, lubricants and performance division of Armored AutoGroup.

Logo of STP.Founded in 1953 in Saint Joseph, Missouri, the company’s name, STP, was derived from “Scientifically Treated Petroleum”.[1] The company entered into the marketplace with one product, STP Oil Treatment

Most armchair chemists say it'll take a 5W-30 to about a 15W-40. I'd expect it would take a 5W-20 to something like a 15W-30 or so.

The stuff is so thick and like snot when its even vaguely cold, it'll definitely not help much other then making it significantly thicker then necessary.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Most armchair chemists say it'll take a 5W-30 to about a 15W-40. I'd expect it would take a 5W-20 to something like a 15W-30 or so.

The stuff is so thick and like snot when its even vaguely cold, it'll definitely not help much other then making it significantly thicker then necessary.

It is really funny how thinking about oil evolved. Back in the day, the 1960's and 1970's I remember STP being advertised in all the Hot Rod magazines. It was that thickness they claimed that would enable STP to cling to engine internals to protect them from dry starts. Many people who used it would add it to a hot running engine, and put the can of STP into a pot of water they had boiling to heat it up prior to pour it into their running engine. That heating up process made it pour a lot easier.

We used it as a lube for cams, which worked out quite well.

We had threads on this some years ago and even oil analysis on at least one of the STPs. My memory tells me to use the red bottle 4-cylinder STP as it is about 100 cSt, whereas the blue is around 200 cSt. Seems there were decent amounts of anti wear additives, but should look up the UOA.

What about the red bottle STP? It's a much thinner carrier oil is it not? Would that significantly thicken say five qts. of 5W-30?

Yes, the red bottle will significantly thicken 5w30. But it is probably just viscosity index improver. Other than the zddp boost, if you want to thicken, get some synthetic 20w50 and add the appropriate amount, half quart or so, as needed.

I put the blue bottle STP in my F150 last summer on a 95 degree day as my oil pressure was running lower in the heat. Worked great, but come the first wintery days in the low 30s and I had some noisy starts. Changed it out quickly after that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: tommygunn

It is really funny how thinking about oil evolved. Back in the day, the 1960's and 1970's I remember STP being advertised in all the Hot Rod magazines. It was that thickness they claimed that would enable STP to cling to engine internals to protect them from dry starts. Many people who used it would add it to a hot running engine, and put the can of STP into a pot of water they had boiling to heat it up prior to pour it into their running engine. That heating up process made it pour a lot easier.

We used it as a lube for cams, which worked out quite well.

Forget just Hot Rod Mags - every mag and newspaper had STP adds in it in the 1970's!

1970's was really the 'golden years' for STP - they had the treatment, their 10W-50 'long life' oil, their 'double' oil filters...they were really cutting edge at the time!

STP makes an excellent assembly lube!! My dad and grandfather used this for years on many engine rebuilds, its cheap and easy to find!

I be [censored] if I'd pour it in any vehicle made in the last 20 years though...

Curious now though.....what's "better" (or worse...? I'll take both sides of the coin here.....)....substituting 1 quart of LUCAS Oil Stabilizer in the engine.......or substituting, the 1 pint (I believe that's what it is....I could be wrong though) of STP Blue bottle...?

Which is "thicker".....? I'd think the STP blue would be better, since it at least has ZDDP in it....whereas LOS doesn't have much of anything.....

Agreed. Unless the additive actually is there to accomplish something tangible (i.e. a quantifiable increase in ZDDP), what's the point? If you want thicker oil, buy thicker oil!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
"... any additives are snake oil."

Wow, literally hundreds and hundreds of products available and you've apparently extensively tested them all!

Where is it you buy your additive free oil?

I do agree, many of them are garbage but there are a few of them that are useful.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
STP makes an excellent assembly lube!! My dad and grandfather used this for years on many engine rebuilds, its cheap and easy to find!

I be [censored] if I'd pour it in any vehicle made in the last 20 years though...

Agreed. I have used it for assembly lube too. I definitely wouldn't add it to the oil for any engine that I cared about though.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Yeah, blanket statements that aren't given context are inaccurate.

Don't feed the troll.

Ok, I'll be "That guy" and ask.

Why doesn't your "friend" just put in the thickness of oil he hopes to achieve right off the bat? It will save him the expense of buying the STP stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back