Storm Window Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my LR, I've got 2 windows that are aluminum-framed with thermpane glass. They are the type that slide up and down, tilt inside for cleaning, and lock together in the middle. The problem is that they won't stay in place once they are unlocked. The upper one will fall down about a half inch, creating a gap at the top, making it impossible to lock without going outside and pushing it back up so that the lock in the middle will align with the lower pane. And the lower pane will not stay up in place by itself, it just falls down when you open it. I have noticed that there is some kind of spring in the side of each window. I'm guessing that tension from these springs is supposed to hold the windows in place when they are opened, and that they have likely lost their strength from the metal fatigue of being opened and closed continuously for many years, and that they need to be replaced in order to restore the functionality of the windows, but I have never worked on anything like this before. I'm wondering if any of you have any insight into this issue and can confirm my suspicions or give me some idea of how to proceed with this repair?

Wish I could help you. I was thinking.."Why can't he just hold the top up while pushing down on the bottom." Forgot it is a storm window and you on't have good access to it.

Yeah, it's basically impossible to push up the top from the inside. You have to go outside and lift it up with great force to get it to go all the way up, while someone else on the inside locks it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back