Storing snow tires

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Taking the Blizzaks off the Pilot and putting on the all season Continentals. Snow tires are mounted on dedicated winter wheels, so the tires are not being dismounted.

I usually stack my tires on top of each other to save space. Makes me wonder though, is stacking tires, especially snow tires on their sidewall bad in anyway? They'll be sitting for 6+ months.

Bag them in thick, black plastic bags and stack them up someplace out of the sun. That's what I've always done with my r-comps and never have a problem.

I put these foam mats in between /
foam mats

fm.jpg

The key to storing tires is to keep them unloaded, away from contaminants (especially oil) and away from sources of ozone = electric motors.

Ideally, they should be stored in a bag of nitrogen in a cold environment.

Then re-inflate them just before use.

Taking the Blizzaks off the Pilot and putting on the all season Continentals. Snow tires are mounted on dedicated winter wheels, so the tires are not being dismounted.

I usually stack my tires on top of each other to save space. Makes me wonder though, is stacking tires, especially snow tires on their sidewall bad in anyway? They'll be sitting for 6+ months.

Edit: Roofless had the same answer, these are common in Europe.

I've been doing this with both my winter as well as summer wheels/tires for the past 20+ years. Never had any issues.
What Pete said but for 30+ years and the 10+ before that standing up under parents porch (but away from sun).

Current is all in the shed (shade covered) with 8 stacked on side on top of each other, no cardboard or other in between and 8 more standing up side by side under the bench in shed. In 6-7 months they will swap places with the summer tires in the same arrangement.

Have you ever looked at some bigger tire places to see how they are. Look at THIS VIDEO at the 1:10 mark or below in the TR roots.

whyTR-roots.jpg

I used to have snow tires back in the day for my RWD Mazda B2200, mostly because I bought it used from a tire shop... anyway I always stored them in the shed or garage stacked 4 high mounted on the rims. I drove the vehicle for 200,000 KMS on the same 8 tires (summer & winter) with no issues...

just my $0.02

Back