Best performing all weather tire for snow

Still with the deep sipes, combined with the winter compound, the other 3-seasons, its performance will be dramatically compromised. The tread design features that makes it great for snow means it's not going to be very hydroplaning resistant, then add in all that tread-squirm, compromising handling, and it's going to wear very quickly in the other 3-seasons.

Never had an issue with hydroplaning with any winter tires from Blizzak WS60 , WS70 , General Altimax Arctic ( original with or w/o studs ) or the Cooper Evolution Winter with studs . They are a bit soft , especially in warmer weather . Just slow down a bit . Do see vehicles in parking lots with winter tires on during the summer . I would never do that .

Last edited:
I had my first snow drive on my brand new continental extreme contact dws06 and all I can say is I had higher hopes.
We got about 5-8” in Maryland. I drove home on about 3-4” on untouched roads. My commute started in slush, they were great. The highway had a hard packed inch or so, they were ok. The highway had too many wrecks and people driving like pansies so I hopped off for backroads...they were untouched, had 2-4 inches on them, and I almost got stuck multiple times, even giving myself as much momentum as possible before uphill sections. At one point I had to back down the hill and restart. Many times I had to turn traction control off to be able to spin a little more than the car wanted me to.
I typically just call out of work in the snow so it isn’t a huge deal, and our roads are usually cleared fast around here, but I was pretty disappointed in how they drove in the snow at maximum tread depth (not even 1k miles on them yet).
On my wife's 2005 Legacy turbo wagon we went from Nokian WR2 well worn out to brand newDWS. The winter traction of of a WR2 at 4/32" and snowflakes worn off was superior to a brand new DWS. They are highly overrated for snow but decent performance tires otherwise.

Nokian WR series tires do get really noisy if not perfectly rotated is my experience with a Subaru WRX, Legacy GT, Acura MDX and Honda Civic. Amazing though when you need them. Not quite as good as pure winters but I found the recent WR stuff better then winter tires in slush.

Never had an issue with hydroplaning with any winter tires from Blizzak WS60 , WS70 , General Altimax Arctic ( original with or w/o studs ) or the Cooper Evolution Winter with studs . They are a bit soft , especially in warmer weather . Just slow down a bit . Do see vehicles in parking lots with winter tires on during the summer . I would never do that .

There's been some research into aquaplaning and what it boils down to is pressure on the ground vs speed. Even a slick doesn't aquaplane below a certain speed with a certain air pressure. Thread can bring the speed up, depending on the waterdepth but much less than you would imagine. In some cases only a few mph over a slick tyre.

So buying a tyre for aquaplaning resistance is a bit futile in my opinion especially as that capacity diminishes immediately after you start using the tyre. Reducing the speed and keeping the air pressure up is much more effective. That's likely why you didn't experience aquaplaning with tyre types that are "sensitive" for it.

manufacturers are now building snow rated all season but winter tyres + i would look at them! prolly less treadware with softer compounds but every tyre is a trade off + it depends on your priorities. you can optimize a single choice by downsizing as wider tyres act like skis, overall a dedicated SNOW tyre is best + buying 4 mounted + balanced with hardware from discount tire, tire rack etc is the best option for best traction!!! you can easily put the mounted units on with common tyre changing tools!! other workers on construction could not believe how my 2001 vw jetta with 4 michlin alpin 195-65-15 the base size went as i even passed struggling AWD + 4 WD vehicles driving to Hazleton + even Redrock, home of Rickets Glen State Park!!!

manufacturers are now building snow rated all season but winter tyres + i would look at them! prolly less treadware with softer compounds but every tyre is a trade off + it depends on your priorities. you can optimize a single choice by downsizing as wider tyres act like skis, overall a dedicated SNOW tyre is best + buying 4 mounted + balanced with hardware from discount tire, tire rack etc is the best option for best traction!!! you can easily put the mounted units on with common tyre changing tools!! other workers on construction could not believe how my 2001 vw jetta with 4 michlin alpin 195-65-15 the base size went as i even passed struggling AWD + 4 WD vehicles driving to Hazleton + even Redrock, home of Rickets Glen State Park!!!

Well here's a video of a vehicle equipped with Goodyear vector 4 seasons. A 3pmsf 4 season tyre on a CUV doing a 3-part evasive manoeuvre. I'd say the result is quite good considering the 50 mph speed achieved. Spanish but english subtitles generated...

Jetronic it's possible , always keep tires 3 > 4 pounds over recommened pressure during fall to late spring . Helps with fluctuation of temps . Check once a week . Worst tire for hydroplaning was the original Bridgestone Ecopia 422 .

Back