Storing a car in FL

I store my 20 yr old MB convertible during the summer months here in SW FL. Last year I stored it at an indoor storage facility. They said they would plug in my battery tender. It's a big metal barn with open doors on one end. They didn't use the battery tender and the car was so dead it could not be jumped. I also heard that the car was near the door and was filthy from the guy who cleans them up. Not paying $110 a month for that kind of service.
This summer a neighbor behind me is letting me park under his covered patio. I will run an extension cord over for the battery tender and cover the car and tie it down as best I can. It's hard to keep a cover on a car on the coast of FL.
Does anyone (in FL) have any suggestions as to what else I should do? Should I crack the windows under the cover? Put moisture control packs in car?

Id look into a rental garage or storage unit. Power or no power - worst case figure out what the $55 WM battery is that marginally fits it, and chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

Under a cover, marginally outdoors, youre asking for scratches. Under a covered patio should prevent some rain and sun, but if it stays damp under there after a rain, its not the best thing.

Honestly if its not able to be seen by someone once in a while Id want to avoid keeping it permanently plugged in.

You might look into a solar maintainer too...

I'd also pump up your tires to the max inflation pressure as noted on your sidewalls. Your de-humidifier block sounds like a good idea too. They can be picked up at Walmart in the RV section of the automotive department.
Good luck.

What awful bugs or rodents can get into Flordian cars? I'd find a way to keep them out.

My w123 interior got wrecked by mouse pee.

Under a dank patio sounds awful, unless there's consistently good ventilation (natural wind.)

Store it in a 10x20 storage unit with a garage door. Disconnect battery (a disconnected battery isn't going to die very fast) and pump the tires up.

Have you considered a car capsule? They do a pretty good job at protecting a car from insects, rodents, dust, water, pollen and such. Apparently they have versions that are made for outdoor use. With one of these, you can skip the car cover, and all the worries associated with them. And they have feedthrough slots where you can run a cord for the battery tender. You could pay for one with what you were putting out for storage.

https://carcapsule.com/outdoor-carcapsule/

My retired parents travel the hottest 4-5 months of the year to escape the FL summer. They leave their SUV in the garage and disconnect the battery - they've never had an issue when coming home, just reconnect and it's ready for the road. No tender necessary. They keep the gas tank full as well.

If it's being stored in open or carport conditions for any longer period of time I would worry more about the humidity. Crack your windows where I live for more than a couple days and the Cuban tree frogs will make a happy home (and a disgusting mess). I've seen some work trucks left closed up outdoors for a few months with no real issues, but I parked a project car behind the garage once and didnt touch it for a year... The interior turned into a giant petri dish.

I just parked mine today; literally. Filled the tank with E0 and a splash of stabilizer. Vacuumed the interior, cleaned the glass, washed the exterior and installed two dessicants inside otherwise mould spores would appear on the seats. I also disconnected the battery. I would have liked to have filled the tires to the maximum but didn't get a chance. I have noticed that being near the ocean really has accelerated the corrosion levels under the hood in under six months.

Last edited:
A bunch of desiccants in the cabin and one in the trunk and keep the windows closed. Disconnect the battery and maybe put a battery tender on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. All good. It's really a covered driveway by the house and should be out of the sun but get plenty of air. I'm questioning whether to put a cover on it as wind during summer storms can get crazy.

Originally Posted by BHopkins
Have you considered a car capsule? They do a pretty good job at protecting a car from insects, rodents, dust, water, pollen and such. Apparently they have versions that are made for outdoor use. With one of these, you can skip the car cover, and all the worries associated with them. And they have feedthrough slots where you can run a cord for the battery tender. You could pay for one with what you were putting out for storage.

Now that is neat!

Would it annoy the neighbor to have that fan blowing 24/7 like there's a kids' bounce house outside?

Just take the battery out and store it in a cool, damp place. I wouldn't stress over being able to use a tender. I would do everything in my power to keep the car out of the elements.

We rented this winter and are considering purchasing something for the winter months. While speaking to an owner there who said she left a car in the garage and the tires were destroyed from the heat even though it was in a garage. This didnt sound right to me could this be possible. I am thinking the tires just aged out....

Originally Posted by raaizin
We rented this winter and are considering purchasing something for the winter months. While speaking to an owner there who said she left a car in the garage and the tires were destroyed from the heat even though it was in a garage. This didnt sound right to me could this be possible. I am thinking the tires just aged out....

Florida isn't that hot. Humid? Yes. Hot? Meh. Especially not in a garage with no UV coming in.

I finally talked to the owner of a MB indy shop. He told me to inflate the tires to max, put Damp Rid in the car and trunk, put the battery tender on it, and disconnect the battery or not, didn't matter with the tender on it. I'v got a good breathable cover for it.
Has anybody heard about parking it on wood? I see people doing that.

Originally Posted by eljefino

Would it annoy the neighbor to have that fan blowing 24/7 like there's a kids' bounce house outside?

yes!

fortunately, it's on my dog walk and not near my house. His actual neighbor hates him.

How close are you to the ocean? We stored a Ford Tempo in good condition during the summers in Palm Beach county and it turned to junk in about four years from corrosion. Though our neighbor with their Lincoln Town Car never had that problem.

I've seen waterproof bags for vehicles. Used for Hurricanes. Perfect for your situation. If I recall, could be made of Tyvek.

Back