Stored Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdv

I'm looking at getting a car that has been sitting for at least 2 years without running whatsoever. Once I drag it to my garage, I would like to fire it up and have it run for a little bit. What are some steps you would recommend to get it going. I was going to change the oil first (of course) but are there other things I should do first?

If it were mine i'd remove the spark plugs and squirt some marvel mystery oil or any 2 stroke oil into the plug holes and let it sit overnight.
Then spin the engine with the starter with the plugs still out.
Also might be a good idea to pressurize the oil system first. Sometimes the distributor is connected to the oil pump shaft. With the distributor removed you can run the oil pump with an electric drill using a modified flat bladed wood boring bit to engage the slot on the shaft.

You should probably drain and replace the coolant.

Most important before doing anything, don't use the fuel that's left in the tank.! It's probably full of rust and gook and will totally wipe out your carb or injectors. Drain and clean the tank, remove it if you have to and make sure the fuel lines are clean. As a minimum put a couple of inline filters on the fuel line (if it's a low pressure carb type system) One of those glass seethrough jobs followed by a regular fine filter will save you a lot of grief.

After it's running a driven a bit, check everything for leaks, change the brake fluid and enjoy.
cheers.gif

Great, I totally spaced on the gas. That would probably be fun trying to get something to run on gas that's 2 years old!

Don't ignore the brakes. the fluid will have moisture in it and the hoses and seals may well be rotted. if you don't rebuild the brakes, at least do your first hard-stop close to home. they may lock up with they get out to where there is some rust. (I was three hours into no-man's land).

quote:

Originally posted by widman:
Don't ignore the brakes. the fluid will have moisture in it and the hoses and seals may well be rotted. if you don't rebuild the brakes, at least do your first hard-stop close to home. they may lock up with they get out to where there is some rust. (I was three hours into no-man's land).

Good to know, especially since I plan on buying more older cars in the future. This particular car is being parted out, so my main concern was getting the engine running to see what kind of condition it was in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back