How come the auto parts stores don't carry oem parts?

I've used Ford's warranty hotline, Never an issue other than a little argument about 6R80 lead frames being replaced on all remans....Which is not true.

Some shops try to skip the solenoid strategy programming & burn a clutch then scream warranty, Coverage will get denied every time.
More than once I have had shops who to put it kindly, have no idea what they are doing, want us to cover the programming under warranty. No dude, either figure out how to do it or you can pay our service department.

I'll be putting a blower motor in a GMT400 today and I went out of my way to get OEM. Made in Canaduh View attachment 216788
I did it with the GM water pump. Got OE made in Canadia and came with the 6 tty bolts and gasket. All the aftermarket had no bolts included, which gave me pause—what would a garage do? Order OE bolts at $6 x qty 6? Or reuse when they shouldn’t….

I did it with the GM water pump. Got OE made in Canadia and came with the 6 tty bolts and gasket. All the aftermarket had no bolts included, which gave me pause—what would a garage do? Order OE bolts at $6 x qty 6? Or reuse when they shouldn’t….
Actually this one didn't come with the steel sleeves for all the plasti-screws. I initially put it in and thought it odd how much the rubber just mushed when I installed two screws.

I revisited the old one and saw there were no anti-crush sleeves on the new GM Genuine part, which I thought was lame. They just transfer over by hand but I think they should be included
20240429_120759.jpg

I can get OE parts through Autozone pro account for certain things. Though usually cheaper through a dealer parts department.
I agree and they actually stock quite a lot of AC Delco parts in stores. I have also gotten Hitachi parts for Asian cars. I will often let them run to dealers for me simply due to my time being more valuable then their small markup and it goes towards my weekly avg which keeps my rebate checks fat.

I've used Ford's warranty hotline, Never an issue other than a little argument about 6R80 lead frames being replaced on all remans....Which is not true.

Some shops try to skip the solenoid strategy programming & burn a clutch then scream warranty, Coverage will get denied every time.
Somewhat related - I am dealing with an LKQ nightmare now. 2019 Tahoe 6L80....brand new reman installed and it was bad (pump wine). They asked me to change the fluid to the Mobil 1 LV and see - nope worse. They send a new trans and it is bad too! It loses communications and has a small pump wine as well. Now they refuse to send a 3rd until the 2nd comes back. I raised a stink so they sent a rep to the shop this morning and hopefully they will agree to send the next trash trans that maybe it will work! I know they are paying labor for my time but it takes 6-8 wks to get paid. I have had more bad than good with LKQ and all but stopped using anything they sell reman! But this Tahoe owner is a friend who wanted the 4yr warranty and blah blah blah. I should have just bought the trans right to you to rebuild for me! Actually I think I will be asking you to rebuild some for me as I have 3 trans jobs in the wait list and I don't want LKQ.

Here’s a thought, in dealing with Lexus/Toyota. Some of their parts are priced so highly, they’d never move off the rack.

Example—a power window switch for my Lexus is $626, OE. For my BMW, it’s $210 OE. $4 shy of TRIPLE.

No one would ever spend $626 for a power window switch, so why stock it? It’s just one of many examples of Toyota parts being in another dimension (brake sensor wire, etc), from a galaxy far, far, away.

#whatScottywillnevertellU

No one would ever spend $626 for a power window switch, so why stock it?
From what I've seen, with limited exposure, is dealers (no doubt with the help of the automakers) have fine-tuned what to stock vs what to order. I needed a purge valve/solenoid (a not uncommon failure item) for a '12 Civic and no dealer in southwest Ohio had one (this would be 2-3 dozen or more - each dealer can see each other's inventory and "swap" internally if they need an item quicker). Another was a torn intake hose on the same car (they always tear over time if people aren't really cautious when opening the air filter housing). No one had it ... but Amazon did ! It was OEM too and less expensive than dealers. It wasn't 1/2 the price or anything either but still less expensive.

Last edited:
https://www.factorymotorparts.com/products 300 stores nationwide. They sell lots of Delco and Motorcraft service parts. My local GMC dealer buys lots of parts from FMC.
They have to be really careful about what they buy due to the RIM program that Ford and GM have. If you have too many sales of a part number without purchases from the mothership, you get penalized financially.

From what I've seen, with limited exposure, is dealers (no doubt with the help of the automakers) have fine-tuned what to stock vs what to order. I needed a purge valve/solenoid (a not uncommon failure item) for a '12 Civic and no dealer in southwest Ohio (this would be 2-3 dozen or more - each dealer can see each other's inventory and "swap" internally if they need an item quicker). Another was a torn intake hose on the same car (they always tear over time if people aren't really cautious when opening the air filter housing). No one had it ... but Amazon did ! It was OEM too and less expensive than dealers. It wasn't 1/2 the price or anything either but still less expensive.
Yes, and there are all sorts of metrics to follow as to what to stock. Number of sales and lost sales in a certain number of days, we do 3 in 240 days, means that part gets a home on the shelf. Then there is the physical size of some parts. We don't stock powertrain because we just don't have the room for it. Actually I stock one engine part number, the new 2.0EB longblock because we do so many. Then you have to worry about idle inventory. Over 9 months with no sales and it starts to affect reimbursement amounts from the manufacturer.

The one good thing with the RIM/RAPID program is anything ordered on that program can be returned after 12 months of no movement without a restocking charge like all the other returns.

O and when dealers sell parts to other dealers, we don't do it at cost. The usual standard is dealer cost +10%, but if it is a dealer that has burned us in the past, or a part that is on backorder it will go up.

Actually I stock one engine part number, the new 2.0EB longblock
Is this the coolant-instrusion engine ?

O and when dealers sell parts to other dealers, we don't do it at cost. The usual standard is dealer cost +10%
I can understand adding some "handling" surcharge although I thought that it might have been handled on the back-end, i.e. you can allocate it in your system where the manufacturer basically gives you a credit for the cost of the item and re-invoices the other dealer that needs it.

On a related note (I know you can only speak for Ford and Mazda), does every dealer have the same "cost", no matter the volume ? I wondered if this were the case and then the manufacturer provides financial incentives later (monthly, quarterly, etc).

Is this the coolant-instrusion engine ?

I can understand adding some "handling" surcharge although I thought that it might have been handled on the back-end, i.e. you can allocate it in your system where the manufacturer basically gives you a credit for the cost of the item and re-invoices the other dealer that needs it.

On a related note (I know you can only speak for Ford and Mazda), does every dealer have the same "cost", no matter the volume ? I wondered if this were the case and then the manufacturer provides financial incentives later (monthly, quarterly, etc).
Yes it is the coolant intrusion engine. The same longblock fits different vehicles, just the install kits are vehicle specific.

Dealers are all independently owned, so we invoice eachother, usually on a charge but some I make pay upfront, for parts. There is a company called OEConnection that lets us pull inventories for other dealers on the Ford side. We can also do emergency orders on backordered parts and other dealers can fulfill the order. It is nice for clearing out obsolete on hand parts as you get reimbursed directly from Ford at cost +20% and they take care of the FedEx.

The cost is the same on the parts themselves. There is backend money based off of things like purchase loyalty, not selling aftermarket parts, Inventory Quality Analysis, and Wholesale Incentive. That is how some of the larger dealers can sell for cheap. They are a CWPD (Certified Wholesale Parts Dealer) so they qualify for WINS (Wholesale Incentive) and will take that backend money as profit to offset selling the part for less. We are not as we don't to $2M a year in wholesale. Actually we get substantially more now for Ford warranty parts, we get cost +90.89% instead of cost +40%. This allows us to focus more on our largest customer, the service department, than lets say a body shop that wants everything at 35-40% off list and then returns half of what they buy because it is all insurance fraud anyway.

Back