Storage of compressed gas bottles?

Got myself a 60cuft nitrogen bottle and a regulator for a mini split install I am doing...I doubt I'm going to use anywhere near the full bottle's worth of nitrogen. I was debating just selling it once I am done with it, but the prices of these things seem to be going way up, and it may be worth just keeping it.

Whats the safest long-term storage options with compressed gas bottles? Any issue storing it in my garage as the summers can get ambient temps over 120F+?

Anything I should specifically do?
thanks

Keep it capped and secured . Millions of these things are stored outside in all kinds of temps . We used them at my work by the truckload . Literally .

when you say capped, take off the regulator and get a plug for it?

If you want, take off the regulator and put the spin on cap back on top of it. Otherwise leave the regulator on and shut off the valve. These are stored all the time in heat and cold. No worries at all.

Just my $0.02

Just store it secured.. its pretty easy a chain with a carabiner and 2 eyescrews or eyebolts on studs etc.

even easier just ratchet strap it to something handy.. so it cant fall over.

The advice about keeping it secure and capped is right. I have seen the results of a cylinder when it fell over and sheared the valve off. It was spectacular. That thing took off like a rocket in a ships compartment and put 3" dents in 1/2" steel bulkheads until it ran out of pressure. Imagine one of those small C02 cartridge cars scaled up 100 times.

What's the worst that could happen? Just think about how many cylinders you and I pass on a given day, judging by the numbers above?

I keep mine laid on its side in the garage. In the “already fallen” position, regulator somewhere else on a shelf. Been there for years.

When they say secured, they mean so it can't fall over with the regulator hitting the floor and the tank becoming a whirling dervish missle.
Not asking about security. He posted,
I was debating just selling it once I am done with it, but the prices of these things seem to be going way up, and it may be worth just keeping it.
Is the tank or the gas so valuable that it's worth the hassle of storing it if you will not use it again?

You take the regulator off and put the bottle cap on whenever the bottle is in transit.
That is required by law in most jurisdictions. The only real danger from those cylinders is knocking one over and breaking the neck off of the value. They have enough pressure in them that they can fly like a missile and large heavy steel tank flying around can be deadly. That's why they require that the regulators be removed and a steel cap screwed onto the cylinder to protect the valve when transporting. AND the tank has to be secured anchored in the vehicle. Look at some of the welding forums or one of the gas supply company websites and they'll tell you everything that you need to know about handling and storing compressed gas cylinders. Even in a home or a shop it's a good idea to chain them to a wall so that they can't accidentally that they can't accidently be knocked over.

A 60 cf tank is a good size. They small and easy to handle and big enough that you shouldn't have to refill it very often.

I keep mine laid on its side in the garage. In the “already fallen” position, regulator somewhere else on a shelf. Been there for years.
If you store the regulator off of the tank they you should cover the connection on the tank and on the regulator to keep the dirt dubbers and other insects out of them. I keep my spare regulators inside of zip lock bags and inside of a steel tool box and I bought threaded brass plugs to plug the outlets on the valves.

How do you remove the regulator and screw in a steel cap without releasing the pressure?
Turn off the value on the tank. Then vent the pressure in the lines and then you can unscrew the regulator. You should always turn off that valve when you're not using the tank because regulators will leak. Regulators also last longer if you relieve the pressure on them and loosen the adjusting screw handle.

Back