Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: stockrex
stop popping pills pls.
GERD/Acid reflux is caused by bacteria.
You are infected,
change diet, eat light meals often,
apple cider vinegar, honey, tea, cantalopes, honeydew, try them one at a time and see which one helps.

My Dr. said most acid reflux is caused by the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach not fully closing, allowing stomach acid to flow up into the esophagus. I'm hoping to be a candidate to have the surgery done to repair the sphincter...

ahh doctors, some of them are like your neighbor repeating last years consumers reports on the best car to own.

http://chriskresser.com/more-evidence-to...ial-overgrowth/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714194/

google is your friend,

most recently, a little community college found that obesity is also caused by bacterial infection :-0

Last edited:
stop popping pills pls.
You are infected,
apple cider vinegar, honey, tea, cantalopes, honeydew, try them one at a time and see which one helps.

That may be, if you have C. difficile, or H. Pylori taking over your system. However, these aren't always the cause.

My understanding is that the lower esophageal sphincter is signaled to close by the stomach being acidic enough. This is why acid supplementation such as Betain HCl and vinegar help.

stop popping pills pls.
You are infected,

My Dr. said most acid reflux is caused by the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach not fully closing, allowing stomach acid to flow up into the esophagus. I'm hoping to be a candidate to have the surgery done to repair the sphincter...

ahh doctors, some of them are like your neighbor repeating last years consumers reports on the best car to own.

Maybe. Or maybe they know what they're talking about...

Originally Posted By: Stelth
stop popping pills pls.
You are infected,

That may be, if you have C. difficile, or H. Pylori taking over your system. However, these aren't always the cause.

My understanding is that the lower esophageal sphincter is signaled to close by the stomach being acidic enough. This is why acid supplementation such as Betain HCl and vinegar help.

Yes, fyi: mechanical obstructions are usually congenital. Later in life obstructions are attributed to weight gain, wearing extra tight Richard Simmons shorts etc.

Yes, Some docs do know what they are talking about and they care, most of these do not don't get rid of ya with "take these 2 pills and call me in 2 weeks"

I got a call from the Dr. that performed my EGD and he said they found no bacteria, which he said does not cause the acid reflux, but it can cause ulcers or cancer. He also said I am a candidate to have the surgery, however, he didn't recommend that I have it done if the omeprazole is still working. There are also some drawbacks to having the surgery done, like not being able to burp, which he said can actually cause some pretty severe gas pains...

Another common of heart burn/gas is tonsil stones, i.e. food caught in tonsil crypts that rot and cause similar symptoms.

Grampi, what bacteria did they find?
Did they do a antimicrobial susceptibility test?
Surgery is too invasive,

if you had heartburn for a while you are probably inflamed already and EGD visualization will produce false positive for sphincter issues.

take a flash light and check the area around you tonsils, see if a see holes and white food stuck there.

1. do a radiographic study of your stomach etc.
2. do a bacterial susceptibility test, if not done already
3. check for crypts
4. change diet ph of food you eat.

when you have acid running up take some tums to neutralize it.

One note about gastro scope guys: they are scam artists, GI guys will want to scope to confirm stuff, but as them what they can do about it and they will look at you like they don't speak English.
If they don't find anything running a scope down your mouth, they will then suggest running one up your u know what. Again, they won't find anything conclusive other than your tuna sandwich from yesterday.

Another common of heart burn/gas is tonsil stones, i.e. food caught in tonsil crypts that rot and cause similar symptoms.

Surgery is too invasive,

if you had heartburn for a while you are probably inflamed already and EGD visualization will produce false positive for sphincter issues.

take a flash light and check the area around you tonsils, see if a see holes and white food stuck there.

3. check for crypts

One note about gastro scope guys: they are scam artists, GI guys will want to scope to confirm stuff, but as them what they can do about it and they will look at you like they don't speak English.
If they don't find anything running a scope down your mouth, they will then suggest running one up your u know what. Again, they won't find anything conclusive other than your tuna sandwich from yesterday.

They didn't find any bacteria. I don't usually get any heartburn as long as I take omeprazole, so there's usually no need for Tums...and I've had colonoscopies before...

Surgery is too invasive,

3. check for crypts

They didn't find any bacteria. I don't usually get any heartburn as long as I take omeprazole, so there's usually no need for Tums...and I've had colonoscopies before...

it is highly unlikely that your stomach is void of any bacteria.
did they look for specific bacteria?

My uncle had very bad acid reflux. He ended up with cancer of the esophagus. Dr said it was due to the acid reflux. He died a few months ago.

So keep that in mind.

Surgery is too invasive,

3. check for crypts

it is highly unlikely that your stomach is void of any bacteria.
did they look for specific bacteria?

Not that I'm aware of, they just said there was no bacteria...

One note about gastro scope guys: they are scam artists,

Are you talking endoscopy?

Have you thought that it might just be plain stress? I used to have terrible indigestion and stomach issues but since my lifestyle changed it has all gone away. Not much help to you maybe but I thought that I would mention it just in case.

If you've never taken DGL ( a licorice product sold at health food stores and elsewhere ) you might want to give that a try. Take two tablets about 20-30 minutes before meals. This had a profound effect on my esophageal erosion issue I had earlier this year and I continue to take it off and on.

I've had a bad stomach most of my life and that was largely due to not creating enough acid. Fortunately, that's less of an issue now but GERD has become an issue for the last year or so and DGL tablets have eliminated the pin point sternum, ulcer-like pain I had for a short time. I can drink coffee again without discomfort after being off it for a few months and taking DGL before meals. Whether a scrip writing GP is even familiar with it is the luck of the draw but I'd mention it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back