Still More Lithium Ion Goodness

The scooter battery? Every day phones get on fire, laptops etc., and yet you are using it.
Is there an issue with batteries? Yes, but like with everything, it will be resolved and you will be using them all hat time.
If you read as much as you typed, you would see I said the exact same thing above.

Thousands of gasoline cars burn every year but it doesn't make the news because nobody cares.

Ahh true....

I have seen the obvious dead on scene human being accidents aftermath to know this is true.

However... Based upon percentages of EVs vs regular gas powered vehicles and what it actually takes to cause a real fire in a internal combustible engine ....

That's part of why these stories pop up.

And why.....

Solid lithium ion batteries MAYBE... Maybe a real big difference maker ...

If what people think and hope will hold true with hundreds of kilograms sized solid lithium ion batteries it could be a huge, huge step forward.

Far, far, far, far more stable and safer vs current batteries.

Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's some BMWs would catch fire because of a wiring issue involving the engine fan.

More BMW news:

There was a criminal case where a Ford caught fire from a internal electrical issue.

The car had gone well off a road and a person was charged with murder. .. Took time and expert witnesses and exposure of internal Ford documents that proved the fire was truly an accidental occurrence. Quite an interesting case...

General consensus?

I wouldn't trust them but so much...

Just like I would not trust older vehicles with old school gas tanks, no gas shut off ability and or older vehicles with extremely poor has tank placement.

If you think a battery is indestructible...
Try taking one and having it hit a large tree at 55 to 70 mph. Think they don't get exceptionally hot ?? Take your wrench and connect your starter battery terminals in your car and see and feel what happens.

Now that is no where near the heat and energy put out by a ev battery that has far, far, far more stored potential energy vs a simple starter battery

But I would trust a newer gasoline powered vehicle over a EV one. In a high impact accident.

Again. . . The solid state lithium ion batteries could potentially be far, far, far safer and more stable by a whole, whole lot..

This would be equivalent from going from 1970s carburator gasoline powered vehicles with extremely simple gas tanks, gas lines and no ability to shut off in the event of a major impact... To a early to mid 2000s vehicle with greatly upgraded gas tank, gas lines, good gas tank placement and an electronic system designed to shut off gasoline in the event of a major impact.

Gasoline fires were common in Nascar accidents all the way through the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

What changed ??

Better fuel cells and the ability to shut off gasoline delivery electronically in high speed wrecks.

Solid state lithium ion batteries could potentially be that huge of a game changer.

And even at this, the twilight of the ICE, there are fires. There will always be fires be it ICE or EVs. Too much is made of each.

Just remember, for you EV guys that love doing these electric vs. gas, car fire comparisons. Fully electric vehicles comprise barely 1% of the US market. Yet they sure can compete one on one in the flame department.... Even at a 99% deficit.

What’s your source?

The NTSB says there’s approximately 171,500 vehicle fires per year in the US.

You’d need over 85,000 EV fires per year for your “one on one” claim to be true - which it’s not.

According to the latest statistics, hybrids have the highest fire rate percentage, followed by ICE and then full EVs.
But let's dive deeper... Raw numbers do not tell the whole story. Ya gotta look deeper.
1 - There is simply not enough data on EVs because there are not enough of them out there and their short length of time.
2 - EVs tend to be newer vehicles; one might surmise that many ICE fires could be older vehicles.
3 - EVs tend to be driven less on a yearly basis, about 70% of ICE vehicles.

One thing is, battery fires tend to be far harder to extinguish.

What’s your source?

You’d need over 85,000 EV fires per year for your “one on one” claim to be true - which it’s not.

Around here most vehicle fires are the result of car thieves after they are done with the car. It has been the trend for a couple of years now.

So the statistics might be skewed because of this. I would imagine our area is not alone in this trend.

Around here most vehicle fires are the result of car thieves after they are done with the car. It has been the trend for a couple of years now.

So the statistics might be skewed because of this. I would imagine our area is not alone in this trend.
According to FEMA, 10 percent of all vehicle fires are intentionally set.

What’s your source?

Good info from 2018, I read some of it, enough to see the comparisons of gas powered car fires to EV car battery fires, imo, is nonsense. I figured the data was being misinterpreted all along. For me anyway, that topic, seemingly using gas car fires to defend EV battery fires, is done.

There was a criminal case where a Ford caught fire from a internal electrical issue.

The car had gone well off a road and a person was charged with murder. .. Took time and expert witnesses and exposure of internal Ford documents that proved the fire was truly an accidental occurrence. Quite an interesting case...

I wouldn't trust them but so much...

I'm the same. They make me nervous. And they do others as well. It's mostly the fact they can be triggered by...... Basically nothing. If they were only doing this while fast charging, or being discharged, or under severe use, that's one thing.

But several, (I would even go as far to say most), of these Lithium Ion fires just happen out of the blue. As was mentioned, even Boeing had issues with these things when the 787 was in development. Samsung discontinued their latest Galaxy phone for a period of time, because they were having issues with them catching fire.

Laptop battery fires have been reported with all of the major brands at one time or another. Yeah, eventually they'll fix this. No one is saying otherwise.

But until they do a lot of people who have these things, (Lithium Ion batteries in a variety of products), are somewhat nervous about them. And rightfully so. The rest are just trying to B.S. themselves more than others, into a false sense of security.

And for the record, my truck has been sitting in my garage for the last 31 years. And I'm getting somewhat bored waiting for it to spontaneously combust. I'll be happy when I'm able to feel the same way about Lithium Ion batteries. Right now I'm not holding my breath.

Have we done this one yet?

Clearly he forgot about the manual door release. But did bring up a valid point, when the car shuts down, opening the hatch from the outside to remove golf clubs or something much more valuable, becomes a problem

For one thing a lot of hybrids on the road don’t even have lithium ion batteries. There is some key truth missing in these gas cars burn by themselves more than EV articles. Every time a Tesla burns down a house just sitting in the garage, sometimes its in the driveway, out come the articles. I sleep well with a gas car in the garage, but would not with an EV, not after the events that have happened. I probably shouldn’t keep a plastic gas can in the garage though, you never know when the house wiring will spontaneously throw a spark on it and boom it goes. Wait, that isn’t going to happen. No water heater in my garage either, no flame source.
You will die because that platic gas tank in your garage catches fire before your EV combust and catches your house on fire, that's statistically proven so far.

Back