Still More Lithium Ion Goodness

The EV fires were all highlighted because hundreds of thousands of regular old gasoline fires is well..... just boring.

Non EV makers did everything they could to try to make this news. They tried very hard to make it about Telsa, but the numbers never added up.

Now that every manufacturer is making EV's have you noticed you hear very little about this issue now?

Remember those Pinto EVs? Or the side saddle pickup EVs? Why do you think they named it the Fiero EV?
Well the first two required collisions, not in the same ballpark as spontaneous combustion. As I posted in the other thread, these discussions are going to continue to be a disappointment if people continue to deflect and hand-wave rather than acknowledging that this is a real problem that we should be working to resolve, not making a mockery of and trying to bury it in whataboutism.

Well the first two required collisions, not in the same ballpark as spontaneous combustion. As I posted in the other thread, these discussions are going to continue to be a disappointment if people continue to deflect and hand-wave rather than acknowledging that this is a real problem that we should be working to resolve, not making a mockery of and trying to bury it in whataboutism.

Very well said!

Well the first two required collisions, not in the same ballpark as spontaneous combustion.

GM was furious at NBC Dateline when they did the whole Chevy truck, side saddle fuel tank report debacle.

Because GM investigated, and proved they used flares to ignite the gas from the ruptured tanks. The whole report was nothing but a hit job. And they forced NBC Dateline to admit it on air.

I agree with you completely. That said, these "discussions" also aren't going anywhere when they conflate a fire caused by a $.15 BMS board on an $800 disposable ebike with electric cars. We're comparing apples to baseballs here... It's not a serious discussion, it's just FUD...

For one thing a lot of hybrids on the road don’t even have lithium ion batteries. There is some key truth missing in these gas cars burn by themselves more than EV articles. Every time a Tesla burns down a house just sitting in the garage, sometimes its in the driveway, out come the articles. I sleep well with a gas car in the garage, but would not with an EV, not after the events that have happened. I probably shouldn’t keep a plastic gas can in the garage though, you never know when the house wiring will spontaneously throw a spark on it and boom it goes. Wait, that isn’t going to happen. No water heater in my garage either, no flame source.

I think the general consensus is that a great many of these Lithium Ion batteries are not to be trusted. I know I don't trust them. Like most people I'm forced to use them because so many modern products have them.

I have many power tools and flashlights that use them in one type, form or another. I'm careful when I charge them. (I never let them charge unattended). and I store them inside a galvanized steel pail with a lid, on a concrete floor, away from any combustables. Again, simply because I don't trust them.

I turn my cell phone off when I'm not using it... Which for me is most of the time. (I hate talking on them, and much prefer the clarity of a landline). I don't own any type of electric transport, and I never will.

Not because I "hate" them. But because I have 3 ICE vehicles that don't get driven enough as it is. And all 3 of them will most likely outlive me. But Overkill is right. These things have been proven to be problematic.. And in some cases, outright dangerous.

It's a problem that in time will be fixed. But it won't be by comparing them to ICE vehicle fires. I've been driving for over 50 years. I've been involved in accidents, and seen many more. I have never had a vehicle fire of any type. Nor do I know anyone who has.

I'm not saying they don't occur. They do. Perhaps even frequently. But as was mentioned, they rarely, if ever spontaneously combust. And THAT is frightening for most people. No one is comfortable owning a ticking bomb.

. I probably shouldn’t keep a plastic gas can in the garage though, you never know when the house wiring will spontaneously throw a spark on it and boom it goes. Wait, that isn’t going to happen. No water heater in my garage no flame source.

Do you keep your car parked in the garage? Do you turn the key to start it, which creates a spark in the starter relay that could ignite gasoline fumes and then boom?

Modern gas cans are designed to be sealed to prevent gasoline fumes from escaping, since they tend to be, well, flammable...

Agreed, any car fire is a problem. I am 100% concerned about EV fires because I have one in the garage. I used a union electrician to install the 50A dedicated line, for safety's sake. Heck I am even worried about charging cell phones overnight and cordless tools. When we bought this house I specifically had the entire house rewired and upgraded to a 200A service by a qualified electrician. When they did the line drop, the inspectors told me the work was exceptional.

Some EVs are safer than others, some ICE vehicles are safer than others. I may be wrong, but I believe EV fires, especially if they can include the word "Musk" sell a lotta newspapers and many smack of sensationalism. You have seen the stories of the Model S driving at high speed on a private road with the occupants in the back 50 years from their home smacking into a tree and exploding.

There is truth in numbers; regardless of drivetrain. All car fires are bad and the last thing I wanna do is minimize their importance.

Remember those Pinto EVs? Or the side saddle pickup EVs? Why do you think they named it the Fiero EV?
Who can forget this scene?

The difference is that (despite some very rare claims) they don't spontaneously combust while parked and cold.
Well unless there's some defect like in the braking system or cruise control that can cause the car to catch on fire even when parked and cold.

Why is what a problem? Say what you mean and stop dancing.
The scooter battery? Every day phones get on fire, laptops etc., and yet you are using it.
Is there an issue with batteries? Yes, but like with everything, it will be resolved and you will be using them all hat time.

Back