Stihl FS 56RC

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago my trusty 8 year old Featherlite failed to start. Not sure what happened as I used it the week prior for the first cut of the season and it ran fine. It had fresh gas, I took the carb off and cleaned it as well as various other checks and adjustments and it didn't even try to start. That's besides the point now though as I walked over to the local mower dealer and bought the weed whacker in the thread title.

So far in 2 uses I have accomplished busting out the neighbors storm door window as the head spins in a different direction the my previous one and I failed to adjust my direction to compensate. This has been been written down and taped to the handle to remind me next time.

The Stihl has a great deal more power then the Featherlite and is straight shaft instead of curved and is taking a bit of getting used to. I like the new trimmer quite well but it seems to take a bit more cranking then normal from cold to get it going, when warm it starts right up. They did start it and adjust the carb before I left with it. Should I take it back in for readjustment or is this the norm with these Stihls?

LOL!

Originally Posted By: 97f150
So far in 2 uses I have accomplished busting out the neighbors storm door window as the head spins in a different direction the my previous one and I failed to adjust my direction to compensate. This has been been written down and taped to the handle to remind me next time.

What brand is the spark plug? I ask because when I got a Stihl weed cutter years ago, almost from the very first it was alttle hard to start, & seemed to get worse every time I used it. I never thought of the spark plug because, like the trimmer, it was brand new. After a few months I asked around & was told to check the plug- instructions were: If it's a Bosch, take it out, throw it away, Replace with NGK. If no NGK available, Champion.
Hmm. I did, sure enough it had come with a Bosch spark plug. I replaced with NGK, & it fired up on the 2nd pull, & has been starting well ever since. If nothing else, this easy to do, & cheap. And to think that for several months I wore myself out starting & trying to start that thing!

Your problem sounds like what my Stihl did so long ago. if it does have a Bosch in it, for the cost of a single plug you could try it. A single NGK, or maybe a Champion.(but no Bosch!)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleS2
What brand is the spark plug? I ask because when I got a Stihl weed cutter years ago, almost from the very first it was alttle hard to start, & seemed to get worse every time I used it. I never thought of the spark plug because, like the trimmer, it was brand new. After a few months I asked around & was told to check the plug- instructions were: If it's a Bosch, take it out, throw it away, Replace with NGK. If no NGK available, Champion.
Hmm. I did, sure enough it had come with a Bosch spark plug. I replaced with NGK, & it fired up on the 2nd pull, & has been starting well ever since. If nothing else, this easy to do, & cheap. And to think that for several months I wore myself out starting & trying to start that thing!

Your problem sounds like what my Stihl did so long ago. if it does have a Bosch in it, for the cost of a single plug you could try it. A single NGK, or maybe a Champion.(but no Bosch!)

It came with an NGK installed. I will check the gap tomorrow.

Donald, I also am glad you don't live next to me.

If anyone was wondering, the frame is sitting in my truck so I can drop it off to have a new window put in next week.

Last edited:
Since it came with an NGK, other than a gap check, I have no specific ideas- except that since it's new, I'd take it back to the dealer. Good luck with it.

I would take it back in for them to look at. I bought this exact trimmer last august, and it still fires right up on the 2nd crank, every single time.

I have got a 56 also and the tiller that has the same engine. They are cold blooded. It will get easier to start and have more power after you run about 15 tanks of gas through it. I have a an ms441 that is cold blooded also. The older stuff had a better time running cold.

Pump the primer till it is good and full of gas, not just a couple of times but don't go overboard. Set the throttle and choke. Pull till the first pop and then set it to half choke. If you don't turn it to half choke after the first pop you will have a hard time getting it to go.

I played with it a bit yesterday when I took breaks from Easter company. I found that if I prime the snot out of it it will pop on the second or third pull. The choke is either on or off, the are no other adjustments. After it pops though another 2-3 pulls and it's off.

I'm just not used to having to prime 8-10 times. I'll take it in sometime this week just to have the carb adjustments checked and see where that takes me. I have read other users that said all of their Stihl equipment is not friendly when cold. We will see. I guess after it breaks in it will be better, that or I'll just get used to it. It's not a problem, just odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back