Steelworkers at Chevron Richmond refinery vote to strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what this might do. Prices now are through the roof, but I've seen prices spike every time there's a refinery accident anywhere in California given that California RFG is pretty much only made in-state.

However, other articles mention that they've been pulled off the job while non-union workers will take their place. Not sure how that works since I thought that this was pretty specialized work maintaining a refinery's infrastructure.

March 20 (Reuters) - Union workers were removed from a Chevron Corp oil refinery near San Francisco hours ahead of a deadline to begin the first labor strike at the gasoline producing plant in more than 40 years.​
More than 500 United Steelworkers members were bussed out of the plant Sunday evening and replaced by non-union staff. No new contract talks are planned, said USW Local 5 First Vice President B.K. White in an interview.​
The existing labor contract at the Richmond, California, refinery expired Feb. 1 and efforts since then failed to reach agreement. The union twice voted to reject the company's offers.​

A lot of Chevron employees are none union. It's optional for Steelworkers.

I think level 20 and higher are non-union. At least thats how it was when I worked there.

Me-2.jpg

hey big oil being some greedy SOBS right now.. the workers want their piece of the pie.
Just playing devil's advocate, but do you think workers will be willing to give some of that pie back the next time futures go negative? That raise is forever. High prices and profits, maybe not. How about an adjustable rate salary, tied to profits? I'm thinking the union wouldn't go for that either. ;-)

Massive oil spill caused by wrong valve being opened. Film at 11 o'clock.
Happens weekly at Richmond. At least 1/3 of the pumps leak out there. They won't shutdown to fix but every 3 years. Can't lose money! fuc the environment will just pay more carbon tax.🤢

Happens weekly at Richmond. At least 1/3 of the pumps leak out there. They won't shutdown to fix but every 3 years. Can't lose money! fuc the environment will just pay more carbon tax.🤢
BAAQMD is also happy to slap fines on Chevron every day those leaks aren’t fixed, short of seeing them shut down shop(won’t happen, that refinery is far too valuable to them - it’s their main lubes plant and a major source of jet fuel to SFO/OAK/SJO from what I hear).

What percent of California’s gas and diesel come from that Chevron plant ?
It accounts for at least 13% of gas here. It’s a major source of jet fuel for the airports here along with Valero in Benicia, PBF(formerly SOPUS) in Martinez and Philips 66 in Rodeo.

Chevron has a bigger refining complex in El Segundo, next to LAX.

Kind of the year of the unions. The one at our plant just voted to reject an offer. The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) for west coast ports expires in July.

Kind of the year of the unions. The one at our plant just voted to reject an offer. The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) for west coast ports expires in July.

VERY BIG problems if these longshore and warehouse folks walk off the job for a few weeks…..

VERY BIG problems if these longshore and warehouse folks walk off the job for a few weeks…..
Yep - PoLA/LB and Oakland are major ports, alongside Portland and Seattle. Oakland tends to be the link for farmers in the Central Valley. Toyota USA while based in Texas still imports cars from Long Beach. LA does almost everything at their port - especially oil/coal/chemicals. Portland moves a lot of wood/metal/produce/building goods and Subaru also brings cars in via Portland(and Richmond, CA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back