steel pan vs aluminum pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im getting ready to buy a pan with a drain plug for my 4L60E.The steel pan is 48 bucks and the aluminum pan is 142.Is there enough of a difference in heat dissapation between the 2 to spend the extra 100 bucks on the aluminum.FWIW there is no cooler on this vehicle and the fluid will be Valvoline Maxlife drained around every 10k.

As long as it holds more ATF, and has a filter(or extension) with a lower pickup, flip a coin.

Quote:

Quote:

They both hold same as my stock deep pan.Im mainly buying it for the drain plug.

Why not just add a plug to your current pan?

I dont have the welder or the tap and die set to do it with and by the time I paid a machine shop I could probaly buy the steel pan for 48 bucks and have money left over.

Welder? tap? die? Not needed. Just drill a hole.

And, if you supposedly do not have an ATF cooler, then it would be smart to find the +2 or +4 pan, if there is room.

A transmission won't last long without temperature control. Even the common stock radiator loop IS a cooler. Aftermarket additional radiator for the ATF is an option is measured temp is excessive.

Quote:

Welder? tap? die? Not needed. Just drill a hole.

And, if you supposedly do not have an ATF cooler, then it would be smart to find the +2 or +4 pan, if there is room.

A transmission won't last long without temperature control. Even the common stock radiator loop IS a cooler. Aftermarket additional radiator for the ATF is an option is measured temp is excessive.

It has the cooler that runs through the radiator just not a seperate cooler. To properly install a drain plug I would weld a peice of 1/8 inch steel in the inside of the pan drill a hole and tap out the hole for the plug right.If I can get away with just drilling a hole then I might go that route.
ooo.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They both hold same as my stock deep pan.Im mainly buying it for the drain plug.

Why not just add a plug to your current pan?

I dont have the welder or the tap and die set to do it with and by the time I paid a machine shop I could probaly buy the steel pan for 48 bucks and have money left over.

Do it yourself, you don't need to pay a machine shop, and a lot of parts stores rent out things like tap and die's. A welder is hardly ever needed. The pans I have seen have been thick enough to allow it.

Looks reasonable. The stubby little fins will help cooling too. Probably moreso than steel vs aluminum. Fins + Al = good

Is this a cast aluminum pan? The stamped/chromed aluminum ones are pretty flimsy, the cast ones are sweet. They hold their shape (better sealing) and come with a drain plug with some decent amount of threads on it. I remember seeing some cast aluminum ones for 4L60E's on eBay for around $100.

Joel

That would be a good question to ask. The surface finish and the shape looks like a casting. The raised "Summit" letters would be an "interesting" trick to pull off in a stamping.

if you are only looking to add a drain plug, why not get a drainplug kit from napa? you drill a large hole and bolt in a bulkhead fitting with plastic washers/seals, and a plug bolts into that fitting. i just put on in the ally pan in my truck a couple weeks ago, no leaks at all. cost me a whole 6 bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back