Stealership story

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother owns a 2002 Honda Element with approxiamtely 120k miles. He had an airbag recall and set up an appointment to get it fixed. Went to Buerkle Honda, White Bear Lake, MN for the service. They fixed the airbag and when done, the service advisor tells him his exhaust is shot and needs replacement. Quotes him $1200. My brother is a pretty decent mechanic himself so he says, I will think about it and leaves. He runs over to a small muffler shop near him, Discount Muffler in Lino Lakes. They look it over and tell him his exhaust is fine and in fact, it should NEVER need replacement as the exhaust is stainless steel. There is one part of it though, a short piece of pipe with a flange that was not stainless and did need replacement. The guy fabricates one up and $92 later, he's on the road.

A lot of those flex pipes are only serviced with a larger assembly. Not excusing them, just saying how you have to get them from a dealer most of the time.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Tag team game between flat rate tech needing work and commission based service writer.

it's reprehensible. If it had been someone that was clueless...it would have been cha-ching for the service writer as well as the dealer. I told my brother if it had been me, I would have went back and got in that guys face.

Don't blame the service writer, but take the story to him. The mechanic will have to answer to management. Likely there is already a file on this employee.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I was hesitant to take my two 13 yr old cars in for the airbag recall. Luckily the Infiniti and Honda dealer just did the recalls and didn't make up a list of "repairs." Older cars are cash cows for dealerships.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
A lot of those flex pipes are only serviced with a larger assembly. Not excusing them, just saying how you have to get them from a dealer most of the time.

if that's the case then shame on Honda for not breaking that part out.

Service writers can be sneaky. They tried a 50 buck tire rotation on me once...

Another time it was a 15 dollar rotation(they were not busy then)

I'm guessing since it's an oem exhaust and you were at a dealership,they can't fabricate or jerry-rig a partial part like a muffler shop can,and therefore total oem exhaust replacement is all they are allowed to do via Honda. They weren't being dishonest,that's just their procedure as a corporation guideline.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm guessing since it's an oem exhaust and you were at a dealership,they can't fabricate or jerry-rig a partial part like a muffler shop can,and therefore total oem exhaust replacement is all they are allowed to do via Honda. They weren't being dishonest,that's just their procedure as a corporation guideline.

Yes, I'm sure that is the same excuse they would give him. The dealership can't do simple welding...

I think the oem flex pipe comes only with the cat and that's why it can get so expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shark

Yes, I'm sure that is the same excuse they would give him. The dealership can't do simple welding...

I think that's just the way corporate dealerships work. They can only replace complete oem parts. Repairing existing parts requires an indy. Like when the tranny recently went out on my gf's Mustang. Ford would only replace the entire unit to the tune of $3300. I found an indy that rebuilt it for $1500.

If anyone here knows for sure,definitely correct me if I'm wrong,but I think this is how it works.

Any muffler shop can do it for a lot less.

I would hate to be in a job where I constantly had to upsell and be dishonest to make a living.

Aquarius is exactly right. They replace the whole length of the pipe and dont weld. Corporate makes that call and I know its the same with Toyota, a friend had exact same issue. We are educated to wait and get a 2nd opinion, but I think everyone should have the sense to get a 2nd opinion..especially on a 1300$ quoted repair.

A Toyota stealer near Boca Raton, Florida tried to sell my elderly mother a $1000.00 worth of repairs on a Camry with 25K on it which had inspected by our local Toyota dealer prior to being SHIPPPED to Florida, the report of which said the car had NO problems. She was also bushwhacked by a female salesperson there who told her she needed to buy a new one since this one wouldn't last much longer. Membership in the "woman's union" apparently doesn't include not trying to take advantage of another female.
The car, BTW, ran all winter down there, was shipped back in May and hasn't needed a THING repaired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
1300 bucks for an exhaust?? Even if its OEM thats pricey for a 4 cylinder. I hope it is made of gold.

I hope not, it would melt easily!

Sadly, yet another stealership story where recall work is used to leverage the owner into doing what they don't need.

Originally Posted By: Shark

I think that's just the way corporate dealerships work. They can only replace complete oem parts. Repairing existing parts requires an indy. Like when the tranny recently went out on my gf's Mustang. Ford would only replace the entire unit to the tune of $3300. I found an indy that rebuilt it for $1500.

If anyone here knows for sure,definitely correct me if I'm wrong,but I think this is how it works.

No we can fix things. You don't know how many indy shops call complaining that you can get pre-assembled differential assemblies for vehicles. Where we just assemble it and go no problem whatsoever. We don't generally do rebuilds in transmissions because the warranty is better for a reman assembly and at $140 an hour, it is more cost effective to replace.

I despise dealerships most of the time, but the quote for that combined assembly is probably not a sham on the part of the store, and it what the OEM requires for renewal of the worn out part.

I agree that when a manufacturer creates such a scummy design with a huge replacement cost they should be ashamed of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back