Startup chatter... could it be the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ever since i've bought this car i have a startup chatter almost all the time. if its a cold start, it'll last for about a second, sometimes a tad more. if the car is warm or if i drove it within the past half hour or so, there is no startup noise at all. could it be that the longer it sits, the more oil is draining down past the filter?

every filter i've used on this car has had an ADBV (ive used Mobil1, Bosch, Fram, and i now have a Supertech filter). as a test, after my last oil change, i unplugged the fuel pump fuse and the ignition. i turned the key over for about 10 seconds... i plugged everything back in and started the car, and there was no noise at all. im thinking this is because there was oil in the system, being held up in the head by the ADBV as it was supposed to be.

does this sound like an ADBV problem? i'd say so, but im suspicious as to why it happens no matter what filter i use. granted the car does have almost 150k miles on the clock, but still... any ideas? bad oil pump maybe?

I don't have the same car as you but I fixed the same problem with my SUV by changing oil brands and using a high flow Amsoil EAO filter.

It could be that your oil pump is a tad worn out and just not pumping the oil up top quick enough, or it's draining away from the top of the engine after shut-down. Is this car parked on an incline? If so try parking it the other way and see if its any better.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I don't have the same car as you but I fixed the same problem with my SUV by changing oil brands and using a high flow Amsoil EAO filter.

It could be that your oil pump is a tad worn out and just not pumping the oil up top quick enough, or it's draining away from the top of the engine after shut-down. Is this car parked on an incline? If so try parking it the other way and see if its any better.

it doesn't matter where i park it, it happens regardless. i've actually tried a number of oils and filters and the problem still exists. the startup noise actually was the least noticeable with Chevron dino oil and 1/2 quart of LOS... maybe that stuff IS good for something! or not!

List the filters that you've used. If WIX/NAPA Gold/CARQUEST BLUE ..PureOne, M1, K&N, or any filter that is assured to have a silicon ADBV ...then I suggest making sure your next one does. That should eliminate the problem.

I am surprised that you see it with all filters. Even a nitrile valve should hold for a couple of thousand miles. Most are done by 3k for those engines that are susceptible to the noise. The ADBV doesn't have to hold. It only has to slow the backwash through the media.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Sticking bypass valve. Try a pint of MMO for your next OCI.

undummy may be on to something.

What oil are you using? Try Valvoline white bottle dino (either 10W30 or 10W40,not sure what weight your car specs)and an OEM AC/Delco filter and see what happens. I bet she will startup smooth and silent. Also,if you have access to an FSM,see what the exact capacity w/filter for your car is to make sure your oil level is completely full.

My 4.7 recently starting having some start up noise with QS Torquepower with only 3500 on the oil. I changed the oil and filled it with Valvoline Dubablend and it's gone. I'd suggest changing oil brands.

Right now i actually have auto-rx in the oil so if anything is sticking, is should relieve that problem as well as MMO. like i've said, i've used multiple kinds of oil, from dino to syn blend to full synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back